Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which version Linux is better?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Which version Linux is better?

I want to install Linux, but I'm not sure which version I should try. I have Corel Linux and Mandrake Linux, so I'm wondering which one to choose out of those two. Any particular pros/cons for either of them?

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, to be honest, I'd rather you use Mandrake than Corel since Mandrake is a much more advanced and well developed distro of Linux and better supported than Corel. So thats my two cents on the topic

Thanks

From those I would choose mandrake. specially if you like using rpms.

sig and avatar by Nightingale.
    "Tengo un nudo en la garganta" (un ahorcado).
    "Levantare a los ca�dos y oprimir� a los grandes" (el sost�n).
    "Cuando te fuiste me dejaste un sabor amargo en la boca" (Monica Lewinski).
    "Se me fue la mano" (Mazinger Z)

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, I've just finished installing Mandrake. Took me a while to figure out about the partitions (thanks for helping me with that Ace ), but I finally got it working. Just gotta set up some hardware on it, and tomorrow I'll be on EP with Linux.

Thanks

Nice.

I would be using Mandrake myself, if it supported my internet adapter. Back to windows for me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just a question... for just a normal user such as myself, would there be any advantage to switching to Linux?

Thanks

Depends, if your using 9X yes, if your using NT based then less so.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

XP falls under the NT based, correct? So there's really no point for me to be interested in switching to Linux for any advantage over Windows?

Thanks

Yes XP is based on NT. Theres a few code editors that are better on linux then windows but to the average user unless you want some really really cheap software it's not a significant advantage.

USA, the best damm place in the world, always and forever
    Thanks

if you like things crashing and rebooting your computer alot then stay with windows. if you want a rock-solid OS, use linux.

just to see if your hardware is compatiable, i would suggest trying knoppix linux, its a bootable CD with KDE and everything. just pop it in and check it out, no installation necessary at all.

www.PacificMods.com

Selling modchip installation services, premodified consoles, and other cool stuff. Low costs and high quality products and services.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Actually, this version of Windows is yet to crash on me once in the year or so that I've had it. I think I'll stick with it for a while, now... thanks for the info though, guys.

Thanks
    EP Points

Linux is a lot more powerful, efficient and stable than Windows, but it's more complicated to use, and it isn't as compatible. For example, it doesn't support DirectX, which limits the range of games you can play. It doesn't really bother me though because I still have Windows installed to play PC games, and there's tons of emulators available for Linux. But providing your hardware is compatible, if you're just gonna be using the PC for general use, Linux is great because it won't crash anywhere near as much. But if you're happy with XP, I'd stick with that for now. You can always partition your hard drive and install Linux seperately though, like I've done.

USA, the best damm place in the world, always and forever
    Thanks

I have to admit i have win2k installed on a partion too. i cant get my digital camera workin on linux

www.PacificMods.com

Selling modchip installation services, premodified consoles, and other cool stuff. Low costs and high quality products and services.

Thanks

LoL...

1. I would have went with Debian or Corel since its based on the debian distributions. Debian is non proprietary like Red hat and others Linux distributions.

2. Don�t knock windows. If you treat windows good it will treat you good.

3. If you don�t want to play games that have surpassed doomII, and you don�t want your latest and greatest gadgets, printers, video-cards to work. And you want live a life of endless command typing (only true guru�s use non-gui linux distributions) switch to Linux.

4. If you want to run any an efficient server; thinking about a carreer in networking, or want to become an leet |-|@|<e12 then

Graphics, and 3D polygons don't make great games, story-lines do!!

Grantu2

Ace Guest

Originally posted by Direwulf
    Nice.

I would be using Mandrake myself, if it supported my internet adapter. Back to windows for me.
    Hehe, that's probally the only reason why I'm still using windows as my main OS on this pc (also got Mandrake installed), but i hope that i can get my internal network adapter to work in Linux, then i'll be using linux for chatting and browsing and XP for gaming .