Thread: Two-ROM Genesis Repros (PSIV)

Thanks

Default Two-ROM Genesis Repros (PSIV)

I've tried to find this out for myself, but haven't had any success. Any ideas appreciated! I PM'd Jazzmarazz but figured a public post might be best, even though the forum seems a graveyard now.

I want to put my PSIV relocalization onto on a real Japanese cart for myself and the folks who helped me.

PSIV is 3MB/24mB and has 2 ROMs on the board.

1. For a 2-ROM board, do you just program a M27c160 (bottom one, 2MB) and then a M27c800 (top one, 1MB), respectively? Following all the normal programming instructions (byteswap both, program each bank 1 by 1 in 512KB chunks, etc.)?

2. If yes to the above, can I use 2 M27c160 chips and just fill the rest of the 2nd chip?

I've converted a few JP-to-Eng carts successfully but I can't find an answer anywhere about 2-ROM Genesis games.

Any advice?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 539 Posts
    EP Points

2 rom Genesis is unlike other systems. To my understanding, all even numbered lines of code sit on one eeprom, all odd numbers on the other

Thanks

Oh hey, actually, Jazzmarazz helped me out via PM -- turns out doing a 2-ROM game is nothing special at all for the Genesis.

You just program each bank sequentially as if you were doing a single 4MB ROM. You don't even have to autofill the last bank with junk data or anything.

So I got it to work. It was just frustring that this info wasn't listed anywhere. Thanks!