Thread: First XBox Emulation on PC and other system Emulation on XBox 360 and One

Thanks

Default First XBox Emulation on PC and other system Emulation on XBox 360 and One

Hi guys,

This is Davide and I'm new on the forum, but an old user of Emuparadise website.
    Today, I decided to subscribe because I need advise from expert users.

Premise:
    Around 1 year ago I decided to build my own list of old games to collect and insert them possibly in a single emulation system.

I stopped with emulation 9 years ago on 2010, around 2014 I heard that it was possible to emulate the PSP on Android, so I was sure that now 6th generation consoles (DC, PS2 and first Xbox) could be easily emulated on any system.

I started setting up my Android (a simple TV Box 1.4ghz 4 core with 1GB RAM), but I found it had some technical limitations so I should change it.

Before spending money on a new device (I was thinking to Nvidia Shield), I did some researches and I found that PS2 and Sega Saturn emulation are not good on Android and first Xbox is totally impossible.

So I decided to pass to PC: I remembered on 2010 I was able to emulate PS2 on my old PC (not perfectly, but my old PC was not powerful). I was sure that today emulate the first Xbox on a PC would be a piece of cake!

I installed the most common emulators and started the main game I'm interested in (Panzer Dragoon Orta), any of them was not starting at all on my current PC (that is anyway a low-end device: I3 CPU 2.6ghz dual core with 4GB Ram).
    I found that the one that is considered the best Emulator is supposed to work only on 32bit systems, but my PC is 64bit.

The only one that starts is CXBX, that can start the ROM (with low framrate), up to the game start screen, then at the moment of showing graphic elements, it goes in blackscreen.

I watched some videos on youtube where people were able to play it very good on their PCs, so I tried it on a better PC (I7 CPU with 12GB RAM), but the same emulator I used before on the first PC is not starting at all (and so all the other emulators).

I did some additional researches and discovered that Xbox Emulation on PC is not that easy (it's kind in Alpha).
    I found that the best way to play first Xbox games is on Xbox consoles (360 and One).
    It might be interesting because it would give me access also on some excellent games of the last years (GTA4 and 5, various Assassin's Creed).

I know Nintendo and Sony Consoles can also emulate other systems very well, so I was pretty sure that also X360 and One should be able to do it, but due to all the previous things I was sure before that are not actually possible, I want a real confirmation before spending money on X360/One.

Objective:
    My objective is to emulate in a single system all (or almost all) the systems up to 6th generation (GameCube excluded, as for that I have the Wii U).

Options:
    1. Emulate Panzer Dragoon Orta on PC perfectly (or almost).
    Even if I listed more games for the first Xbox, for me only one is essential: Panzer Dragoon Orta.
    If I can run it on one of the my PCs, I won't spend money on a new console.

2. Buy an XBox One, only if it allows me to emulate all, including PS2.
    I did some searches on PS2 emulation and I found X360 can't do it at all.
    On X-One, I saw there is something but I don't understand if it can run perfectly the PS2 emulation.
    Anyway, it should grant me access also to other complex systems (eg PSP and Sega Saturn)

3. Buy an Xbox 360, if Xbox One can't emulate PS2 and X360 can emulate all the other systems.
    If X-One is not able to emulate PS2, I have no reason to spend money on it, where with a lower price 360 might give me access to all the other systems (including PSP and Sega Saturn).

What information I need from you?
    1. Is there a way to make Panzer Dragoon Orta Run on PC?
    2: Is it possible to hack easily Xbox One and/or 360 in order to make them emulate other consoles?
    3: Is Xbox One able to emulate good old consoles, including PS2, Sega Saturn and PSP?
    4: Is Xbox 360 able to emulate good old consoles including PSP and Sega Saturn?

Thank you for your time!

Davide
    Last edited by Diam.Antaeres; 21st-March-2019 at 16:01.

Thanks
    EP Points

First off, there are a handful of Original Xbox games backwards compatible with the Xbox One including Panzer Dragoon Orta (legitimately)

Secondly from what I can tell their doesn't seem to be alot of emulation available on the Xbox One itself. I don't even think it's hackable yet. But there is Dev mode and a bunch of homebrew stuff so who knows? Maybe in the future?

Xbox emulation on PC is garbage. Period. There have been some attempts in recent years to bring back work on it - don't believe everything you see on youtube though.

Best emulation device is still a PC for everything that is currently out. PS2 and PSP emulation have come really far even on a lower end machine (still depends on the game though) but there is a ton of PS2 games that run great. So in the end the Xbone is probably the worst choice for an emulation system - That being said it's still a fun little system and with a subscription to Live Gold and/or Gamepass you can get tons of games both old and new and a basic Xbox One system is pretty cheap compared to PS4/Switch. But as I said PC is still the best. And by the time you spend the money on a high end Android device capable of doing anything you could have built a decent PC anyways, PS2 emulation on Android has made some progress for it but don't hold your breath.

I don't know much about Saturn emulation but it seems like it's always been a bit more of a pain in the ass to emulate than others of the time.

Also keep in mind that I'm not really current anymore with this sort of thing so maybe there have been some advances in these areas in the last year or 2 so googling around might be an idea.

2 cents.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Brand new Xbone S is dirt cheap, bonus is it can play 4k BD

Some of the original Xbox games you can play: Panzer Dragoon Orta, Ninja Gaiden Black, Black, TES III Morrowind GotY, Jade Empire, Kotor 1&2, Battlefront 1&2 (originals), Crimson Skies, Jedi Knight Jedi Academy, Republic Commando, Psychonauts, Red Faction II, Breakdown...

360 titles you can play on it, the list is quite extensive. I think I have over 100 Xbox 360 physical games that are compatible and I'm not anywhere close to having everything.

No, you can't easily hack the Xbone to emulate other consoles. Buy used physical games that are on the BC list. It doesn't matter if the discs are scratched, the Xbone only needs to read the inner ring and then it will download the game from M$ servers.

If you want to emulate some PS2 and PSP stuff get a used PS3 (fat or early slim so you can install full CFW). It won't play everything, but on CFW it will play more than what is officially supported (including some translations).

PS:
    You won't find any android machine that is powerful enough for anything spectacular. Even the Nvidia Shield stuff isn't all that powerful.
    If you want to emulate everything you need to commit to spending money on a PC build, keep upgrading hardware and messing around with emus as things get better. Also hit your head against the wall a lot...or just punch your PC monitor
    Last edited by deadlegion; 21st-March-2019 at 16:51.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Hello, Zaladane and deadlegion, thank you for your prompt and accurate answers.
    I'd never expected to receive so deep answers within so little time from the post!

I thought myself that I have not to believe to youtube, anyway I saw some videos where it was running good but not perfectly (for example in level 2 there was a river and it was not visible at all in the emulation), some other videos were not displaying the gameplay only but a Windows desktop with a little window of CXBX running the game.

I knew that XBOne can download the adapted version of first Xbox games by just inserting the disk.

I also know that the XBOne can be found at very good prices, considering also the used market (actually I can find it from 249€ and found a used occasion at 120€), anyway, if it doesn't guarantee me a complete emulation access of all the platforms, for me it will be a "waste" of space.

At this point, I find more interesting the X360 option (that I can find at 150€ new and from 60€ used), that was not covered in your answers, so I'll wait for other answers to define what it can emulate.

For example, I heard that when playing adapted first Xbox on XBOne, it will keep the original aspect ration (4:3), if I play an original XBox game on X360, will it go on fullscreen instead?

While waiting to have info about X360, I'll keep trying Panzer Dragoon Orta emulation on PC, maybe I mistaken something on the stronger PC setting.

Thank you again!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Much like the Xbone, the 360 is backwards compatible by downloading stuff when a legit disc is inserted. It's better to think of MS backwards compatibility as ports, and not emulation. The list of OG Xbox games the 360 can play isn't complete, but it is extensive:
    https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games...es-on-xbox-360

I've never bothered with a modded 360, but I'm pretty sure they're capable of running most of that list without legit discs. I'm sure you can toss on some emulators too, but it's not really going to run anything better than what you're seeing with your Wii U.

There is no single solution system that will run every game you'd possibly want.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Original Xbox games on 360 are emulation, and not very well implemented either. Even M$ admits that now.
    The main point of BC on xbone is that the system is much more capable of doing it properly. Hell, if you have the X there are even some games (including original Xbox) that have special enhancements that make use of that consoles improved hardware...but I have to say that even on S and just using a 1080p tv original Xbox games run smooth as butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Diam.Antaeres View Post
    I also know that the XBOne can be found at very good prices, considering also the used market (actually I can find it from 249€ and found a used occasion at 120€), anyway, if it doesn't guarantee me a complete emulation access of all the platforms, for me it will be a "waste" of space.
    Um, 249 euro isn't cheap. That's like $400aud.
    You should be able to get Xbone S 500GB base model new for $250aud or probably less (that's about 155 euro). You don't really need anything more than the base 500GB HDD model you can install games on external HDDs (yes, more than one).
    Last edited by deadlegion; 21st-March-2019 at 21:31.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Yeah, I didn't mean to say it isn't emulation, it just simply doesn't work how people expect an emulator to run stuff.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

Hello,
    thank you for the new info.

I'm pretty sure that a new XBox One here can't be find with a price lower then 250€, probably our marketplace have differences on this side.
    I red there was some non-free PS2 emulator on the One (Indiegogo and XPS2E) and I assumed that it could be emulate any other system (including Saturn and PSP of course)

Also, the information I found originally was different: I red that Xbox One could run 33 games of the original XBox readapted, while Xbox 360 was totally retrocompatible with the first console, so I expected it could run them exactly like the original Xbox.

In this case, if running Panzer Dragoon Orta on X360 is painful and the console is not able to emulate other consoles properly (and I'm thinking particularly to Saturn and PSP), also this option won't be good for me and I'll get back to PC option.

I did the right thing asking here, as I could buy one of the consoles to find myself not satisfied with it.
    I'll wait the day I can play Panzer Dragoon Orta on a PC some way.

Thank you!