Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob needing more help!

Thanks

Default Noob needing more help!

Ok so I modded my xbox using SID 5.11, upgraded the hard drive to 320GB sata with Chimp. I FTP'd a bunch of games to drive F. So far so good. But something f'd up while I was adding some more. The xbox crashed. Now I can't access drive F, and it just says F drive unavailable. I can't access the rest of the hard drive, so I've lost all the games on it and obviously can't add more! Is there any way to undo whatever I messed up? I tried to format drive F again but it didn't work. I tried swapping the original hard drive back in, thinking I might be able to re-format the 320gb drive and re-clone it from scratch, but it won't work, I just get flashing red lights when I switch it on, it won't boot! I assume that if I tried to clone the 320gb onto another hard drive, that hard drive will probably just have the same problem? Is there any way to fix this or do I have to accept that I've somehow f'd up this xbox and have to find another one? (It's a 2004 crystal xbox, if that makes any difference).
    Last edited by DavieB; 15th-March-2019 at 18:42.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

How did you format your F partition? If you didn't already, try XBpartitioner?
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

Yep I've tried to re-partition it, does it thing but when afterwards I still get 'F unavailable' no matter what I do. Maybe a faulty hard drive? Since the xbox won't accept the original stock hard drive now for some reason, if I got another new sata hard drive and cloned the current hard drive to it, would it work or would it also clone the errors to it? Kinda sucks going to all the bother of putting a 320 GB hard drive in but only 8 GB is usuable! And I don't want to throw good money after bad by buying and installing another new hard drive just to possibly end up with the exact same problem! (Why won't the old stock hard drive work in it anymore?)
    Last edited by DavieB; 16th-March-2019 at 23:36.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

You didn't unlock the stock HDD did you? If it is a soft mod, the HDD needs locking. If you install a chip, the HDD doesn't need locking.

Edit: Is there an error code on screen when you try to boot the Xbox?
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 16th-March-2019 at 23:59.

Thanks

Nope I was very careful to avoid accidentally unlocking the stock hard drive when I cloned it to the new one in case I had to in the future put it back in. Xbox won't boot up with it connected back up. The new sata drive was fine for a few days, all was working as it shpuld, I had FTP'd games to it and all was working ok until like I said it crashed while FTP'ing some more games on to it. Nothing I've tried will so far will make drive F available, the xbox just can't access it for some reason. Maybe my pc f'd something up? (No modchip, just softmodded).

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Have you set the stock HDD to master? Also is there an error code?

Thanks

Yea the stock hdd was definitely set to 'master' when I tried it back in the xbox.There was no error code on screen - when I hit the power button, it didn't even try to boot up, I just immediately got the flashing red lights and nothing else happening until I put the newer sata hdd back in, then it booted up normally again.

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

*Solid red, overheated.
    *Flashing green, bad bios load.
    *Flashing red-orange, bad video output
    *Flashing red-green, system failure (can be a lot of things)

Edit: Try pressing the power button and immediately press the eject button. See if you get an error message, usually 07 (Hard drive access failure). Could be anything from loose cable to bad drive.
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 17th-March-2019 at 12:41.

Thanks

It was flashing just red, I triple checked everything was connected snugly but still the same. Maybe the old hard drive doesn't like the new 80 wire ide cable? Makes no sense to me, but I'm completely stumped for an answer!(Technology is ganging up on me this week, I had to fix 'user logon fail' on my pc today!)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Use the original xbox ide cable.
    If those cables are too long it can cause problems iirc.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Couldn't find the original ide cable, but I gave it aother go and this time it booted no problem from original hd. Obviously a temperamental bugger! Anyway, I tried re-cloning onto the sata drive again, but it kept throwing up 'no drq after after issuing multi write text' error messages during the process, and even though it did somehow complete, and I used the lock slave option, when I replaced it back as master drive (jumper set back to master as well, it won't boot up. I get flashing reds and 'error 14' on screen, so I assume it didn't lock properly? All's ok when I reset up the original drive. So, would wiping the sata with my pc maybe fix the sata, or do I need to bin it and get another before I try cloning again?

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Just a thought, you need an original Xbox controller to use CHIMP. 3rd party controllers either don't work, or are temperamental.

Thanks

Never mind, pc won't let me access the drive even with explorer 360. Gonna have to bin it and buy a new sat hdd after all.(It is a proper microsoft controller I'm using btw).

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

You can use the HDD for your PC.

Thanks

It shows up in device manager as 'working properly', but it's not showing up as an available hard drive, so I can't access it to use it or format it. The secondary storage drive I swapped out shows up as drive d as it should, any idea why the new hdd won't? Would be great if I can avoid having to bin it.)
    Last edited by DavieB; 17th-March-2019 at 19:51.