Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Game Manuals

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Game Manuals

Hello All,

Does anyone miss having manuals come with games? Or Strategy guides for that matter? I really liked having manuals. It was always nice to look at the artwork and read the characters bios and other details about the game. I noticed towards the end of the seventh generation, a lot of games stopped coming with manuals. Pretty much no PS4 games have no manuals. I know a few games these days have manuals, but it is few and far in-between. I know manuals and guides seem a little pointless today, but I miss them and I think having them included today would be a nice touch, cases feel too light without them. I'm big on physical copies.

Thanks
    EP Points

I wasn't a big fan of strategy guides, but yes, I do miss manuals. They were a nice addition. I would spend a great amount of time reading them before playing.
    Some Wii games had great ones like the first No More Heroes comic book manual.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes strategy guides were hit or miss, but there was still some good ones. Yes I really miss manuals too. I wouldn't always read them before I played a game, but usually after. The sixth and early 7th generation of gaming were the last to really have gaming manuals.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah. I think some of the latest Xbox 360 games already had very thin manuals. Nintendo then started making electronic manuals.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah the later Xbox 360 and PS3 games had very thin manuals. Basiclly just a tiny booklet explaining the controls and maybe the story of the game. Yeah I know the 3DS has electronic manuals, I assume the Switch does as well? I wish physical copies of games still came with manuals. I know some Steam games have digital manuals in the form of a PDF file.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, I guess so, even if I can't tell for sure since I don't have any Switch games (of course I don't have the console either).
    PDF manuals are a good idea though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah I plan on getting a switch, but I don't know if the games have physical manuals or they're digital. It is nice that the game has a manual even if digital in PDF form. I will of course always like physical manuals.

Thanks
    EP Points

Me too. However, as long as I know, Switch games come out with nothing else than the game cartridge. The cover is double faced though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah. I plan on getting a Switch when I can. I would hope that physical manuals make a comeback, but that doesen't seem likely. I know Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash on the Ps4 and Monster Boy: The Cursed Kingdom came with physical manuals which was also on the PS4. Though they are kinda simple compared to manuals of the older generations.

Thanks
    EP Points

Me too. Yeah, physical support for games is going through the same way, but, you know, never say never.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah I really hope the PS5 will still have physical copies of games. I really don't want games to be all digital. I don't have the Internet for all physical gams. Who knows, maybe manuals will make a comeback.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, however sometimes digital games are cheaper. Anyways, I totally prefer physical copies. Artbooks in limited editions are a good compromise for the lack of manuals.

Thanks
    EP Points

True, digital games can be cheaper. Yeah some limited editions have cool artbooks and may even manuals and might come with a strategy guide. I also always prefer physical copies.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah. However, I still don’t like the new trend of some late games, which come out in physical copies but require almost the whole game to be downloaded.

Thanks
    EP Points

True, good point. I also don't like that as well. The game comes in physical form, but you have to download a large portion of it. I remember Red Dead Redemption II came with two discs, an install disc and a gameplay disc. I would rather prefer that then downloading a ton of the game.