Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions About Patching SNES SFC Files

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Questions About Patching SNES SFC Files

Hi, my No-Intro SNES set are all SFC files. I would like to add some English translation patches and noticed on romhacking.net that the roms needed to apply the patch are listed as SMC.

1) Can I leave my SFC roms as they are or do I need to change them to SMC?
    2) If I need to change SFC to SMC, do I just rename the file extension?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Thanks
    EP Points

For me I have had little to no issues patching .SMC roms. But for the record it may be easier to rename them to .SFC after patching them as the file format afterall the tag should be Super Famicom and not Super Mega Card for authenticity reasons.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sorry, I should of been more clear. I'm not asking if SMC or SFC is the proper file extension. I would like to know if my No-Intro SFC roms can be patched if the translation information page on romhacking mentions to use a GoodSNES rom, which is a SMC file. Do I need to find and download that specific GoodSNES SMC rom or can I use my SFC roms?

A few files are just abbreviated. Example; For the game 'Chaos Seed', the file listed is CSeed.smc while my No-Intro file is Chaos Seed - Fuusui Kairouki (Japan).sfc

Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 539 Posts
    EP Points

If take SFC and add header it becomes SMC If its IPS file want use SMC if its BPS file want use SFC ...If have SFC file and add header it becomes SMC file..If google CRC32# you will get your base ROM you can right click on ROM image to get CRC SHA...CRC-32#
    Spoiler warning:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture3e4.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	57512

..You can use beat for BPS patches https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/893/
    NSRT is frontend you can add /remove headers https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/400/

Checksum ReCalculator ..<--dont really need it
    https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/499/
    Last edited by killapinke; 24th-January-2019 at 03:55.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ok, I used Tush for the headers and patched the translation to the No-Intro SFC rom using Lunar IPS. Everything seems to work and the rom remains as an SFC file.

The problem is RetroArch 1.7.5 using a Windows 10 desktop does not detect the games. I'm using the Snes9x core. Maybe I didn't patch the games right?

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Another Story is one game I'm trying to play;
    1) Romhacking.net lists the rom as GoodSNES: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon - Another Story (J). The rom file name I used was No-Intro: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon - Another Story (Japan). sfc
    2) I made sure the rom had a header using Tush
    3) Patched the translation with Lunar IPS and the file remained as .sfc
    4) Opened RetroArch and tried to add the game to my SNES directory but it did not show up

Did I patch the translation wrong? Should I try to find the GoodSNES rom that matches what is listed on the romhacking.net page? Does the Snes9x core for RetroArch not detect/play these patched games?

I would like to thank everyone who replied. Hopefully, someone here can figure this problem out

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Aid Man View Post
    Ok, I used Tush for the headers and patched the translation to the No-Intro SFC rom using Lunar IPS. Everything seems to work and the rom remains as an SFC file.

The problem is RetroArch 1.7.5 using a Windows 10 desktop does not detect the games. I'm using the Snes9x core. Maybe I didn't patch the games right?

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Another Story is one game I'm trying to play;
    1) Romhacking.net lists the rom as GoodSNES: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon - Another Story (J). The rom file name I used was No-Intro: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon - Another Story (Japan). sfc
    2) I made sure the rom had a header using Tush
    3) Patched the translation with Lunar IPS and the file remained as .sfc
    4) Opened RetroArch and tried to add the game to my SNES directory but it did not show up

Did I patch the translation wrong? Should I try to find the GoodSNES rom that matches what is listed on the romhacking.net page? Does the Snes9x core for RetroArch not detect/play these patched games?

I would like to thank everyone who replied. Hopefully, someone here can figure this problem out
    Does the original rom work?

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Add header to SFC file then patch with IPS leave it SMC https://www.romhacking.net/translations/401/ Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon - Another Story (Japan) CRC32: 02A442B8 https://edgeemu.net/details-48800.htm Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capturexf.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	57513

Sorry i said remove you have add header you will know if added it because becomes SMC
    Last edited by deadlegion; 24th-January-2019 at 04:18. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

Stop double posting killapinke. Use Edit Post.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

deadlegion - Yes, the original roms work in RetroArch

killapinke - I followed your steps and when adding the header, the file does not change to SMC. Here is my internal rom info;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RomInfo.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	57514

Thanks
    EP Points

You see how mine changed? Scan it again it says it changed once add header it becomes SMC that window might not say it till scan it ..you did it right.. now from that window above find ROM it should be SMC
    Last edited by killapinke; 24th-January-2019 at 13:02.

Thanks
    EP Points

killapinke - could your send me your smc Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon - Another Story rom? I will try to add it to RetroArch and see if the Snes9x core accepts the game

I see how yours changed to smc but mine stayed sfc. Our rom info is all the same except for the file extension. You mentioned scan - what program do you mean? NSRT? I tried again and the rom is headered but did not change to smc.

RetroArch should detect the game if the rom changes to smc right? I appreciate both of you for trying to help me out.

Update: On the romhacking.net patch page for SNES translations under ROM/ISO information, the roms are listed as SMC or SFC files. I can successfully patch and add the SFC ones like 'La no Ma' to RetroArch using the Snes9x core. So the problem is with games listed as SMC.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 26th-January-2019 at 22:51. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Aid Man View Post
    killapinke - could your send me your smc Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon - Another Story rom?
    Do you just want the finished vivify93 1D271A25DEE31EED53B71B63330FF20C rom?
    https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2595/
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Ragnar - That would be great. Thanks

I saw the SNES Special Collection download in the forums that has the translations patched but would like to solve and patch these games myself.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

*PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here