Thread: How best to run Conker's Bad Fur Day?

Heliocentric Guest

Default How best to run Conker's Bad Fur Day?

Hi, I just got this ROM and it has a few graphical errors when I run it in Project 64... not to mention the sound and gameplay are lagging a lot... I realise that part is mostly because of my computer but any help would be appreciated.

Those of you who have this rom working perfectly, what are you running it with?

Lastly, where do I get video/sound patches to make ROMs run better?

Thanks
    EP Points

wat are ur computer specs and wat plugins are u using with pj64

Thanks
    EP Points

By Video/Sound patches I take it you mean Video and Sound plugins

Get them from here

Note in order to get any of Jabos plugins you must download the relevant version of PJ64. He has not authorised them for seperate distribution.

You can also use this FTP located here

In order to get more help about this game as stated above we need system specs.

Thanks

Besides the best plugin, you also need a pretty fast system.

Heliocentric Guest

Well, here's my computer's specs:

Pentium 3 Processor
    128 MB Ram
    Windows 98
    Nvidia Riva TNT 2 Video Card
    Creative SB Live! Value Sound Card
    69% Free System Resources (mostly cause I just downloaded about 1 Gig+ worth of N64 roms)

Now that I think about it, my processor might actually be a Pentium 2... It says pentium 3 on the case, but here in the hardware manager, it has a couple things that say pentium 2, for instance:

"Intel blablabla Pentium(r) II Processor to AGP controller"
    and
    "Intel blablabla Pentium(r) II Processor to PCI bridge (with GART support"

Also my registry is pretty screwed... I installed a program a long time ago, I think it was called "object desktop" because my friend said it was really cool and that I should install it (why I listened to him, I have no idea)... Anyway, I realised it was a load of crap and when I went to uninstall it, it started asking me if I wanted to delete such and such no longer used read-only file, and it was in the object desktop directory so I said yes. Well, it came up again and I kept clicking 'yes, yes yes yes yes' until before I knew it, I was deleting files in the windows folder... It was already too late, my registry was totaled... Now when I go to open a folder it gives me the "find" box so I have to type in the address of the folder in internet explorer to get anywhere. Plus for some reason my CD ROM drive quit working recently. I doubt that has anything to do with these ROMs not running fast.

I'm sure that's way more information than you needed... Anyhow, is there any hope to make conker's bad fur day run smoothly on my computer, and fix its minor graphical errors, or make all ROMs in general run more smoothly?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    EP Points

If you think it is a P2 then your system may be too slow because Conkers is one of the most system demanding ROMs. Try the lowest settings like full mode at 320x240 and stuff.

Thanks
    EP Points

69% Free System Resources (mostly cause I just downloaded about 1 Gig+ worth of N64 roms)
    69% indicates you may have extraneous background programs running which it would be advantageous for you to close down before using N64 emulation. The system resources in Win9x are a fixed heap of 64k I believe. They are the same for everyone regardless of memory installed or HD space available.

If you have a P2, then I would be very suprised if Conker could be configured to run well at all.

If you have a P3 then you will be more in luck (check the BIOS as the machine is booting). Try using Jabos D3D 1.6 as your graphics plugin and enable video frame sync. Use No audio plugin for now.

If you are running at 60fps (50 for pal) with that, then feel free to add an audio plugin into the mix.

Though I don't think you will have much joy if it is a very low end P3, or a high end P2.

starman Guest

Well, have fun when you got it, it's the absolutely *grrrreatest* n64 game, but I really can't get how nintendo managed to get all that stuff into an old n64 cartridge...

also, the ending is worst ever

Edited by Del_Boy
    Deleted the spoiler if that is indeed what happens it is bizarre
    Last edited by Del_Boy; 8th-July-2003 at 00:51.

Heliocentric Guest

Aw man, the ending rocks

Heliocentric Guest

I'm trying to find that plugin... But I really can't... I'm not sure where to download the LASTEST latest version of Project 64, I think I already have it... Version 1.5? If so, does that mean I'm already using Jabo's DAD 1.6??? There's just a few weird graphic errors, like Conker's head is white... etc.

Anyhow, I'm gonna see if I can at least get the running speed up a bit using your suggestions... I'll come back with the results later...

[EDIT: Ok, just found it, I have:

Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5 (video plugin)
    Jabo's DirectSound 1.5 (sound plugin)
    and
    Jabo's DirectInput7 1.5 (input plugin)

Where can I find the newer versions? If they only come with PJ64, then where can I find the latest version of PJ64 (and what version is it?)]

Thanks
    EP Points

Look at my first posting in this thread and the FTP link contained therein which has all the plugins you need.

I also gave a link to the widest archive of N64 Emulators and Plugins on the web (or pretty close to it).

Heliocentric Guest

Hmmm, Ok, I'm running the game in a window at 320x240 res... I have no idea what "full mode" is or how to turn it on..... or "video frame sync"... I've uninstalled a few programs and closed down most of the background programs to boost my system resources to 92%, and the FPS is still hanging around 30% in the game... The intro where he cuts the N64 logo in half with the chain saw is around 50%-60%... But the cutscenes and ingame is terribly laging. Turning off the sound didn't change this at all.

Is there anything you could recommend besides totally anhialating this computer and getting an Athlon with a GeForce 4???