Thread: ps2 wont read ps1 games or audio CD's

Thanks
    EP Points

Red face ps2 wont read ps1 games or audio CD's

I need some help with this, installed brand new laser assemblies in two different PS2's and they are both reading ps2 dvd's and cd's fine, however when trying to read ps1 games or play audio CD's they suck and one even scratches the discs!!!

Anyone know how to fix this? Would adjusting the pot have any effect if it is reading ps2 cd games fine?

thank

Thanks
    EP Points

This is probably not a lot of help but the usual cause of disc read problems, as for other consoles, is a laser issue. Either the positioning or a dirty lens.

I have no PS2 laser experience only with the original Xbox laser and most problems with that are indeed down to a dirty lens. YT videos suggest this is true fro the PS2 as well.

Sometimes a very small pot tweak does work for the Xbox. Problem with that is you need to know how to do this precisely or it can end up significantly reducing the life of the laser or end up not reading any disc types. Pot tweaking should be considered the last resort.

The fact that one or both of your new PS2 laser assemblies is scratching the underside of PS1 discs suggests a fundamental problem with its positioning. Whether this is caused by the replacement laser's design or your re-assembly would be guess work.

What type of PS2 are you using 'fat' or 'slim'? Are you 100% certain the laser assembly is designed for your particular PS2 model? If you're not sure check. I've found evidence that state that there are regional differences which some online sellers warn about :-

"This replacement FULL optical block is made of a brand new PVR802 lens for PStwo only (V12) and also includes the full optical block around it. CAREFUL: On some PS2 (mostly in Australia), there is another type of lens, which is wider, code name: 3170SPU, which is not compatible with the PVR802. Open your console to make sure which lens you have."

Several also state (maybe just for sales reasons) that you need to use a full replacement optical block ie. cradle, worm drive and disc spindle/motor designed for the new laser, not just the very much cheaper laser assembly itself.
    Last edited by TheAbysmalDark; 25th-October-2018 at 11:45.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbysmalDark View Post
    This is probably not a lot of help but the usual cause of disc read problems, as for other consoles, is a laser issue. Either the positioning or a dirty lens.

I have no PS2 laser experience only with the original Xbox laser and most problems with that are indeed down to a dirty lens. YT videos suggest this is true fro the PS2 as well.

Sometimes a very small pot tweak does work for the Xbox. Problem with that is you need to know how to do this precisely or it can end up significantly reducing the life of the laser or end up not reading any disc types. Pot tweaking should be considered the last resort.

The fact that one or both of your new PS2 laser assemblies is scratching the underside of PS1 discs suggests a fundamental problem with its positioning. Whether this is caused by the replacement laser's design or your re-assembly would be guess work.

What type of PS2 are you using 'fat' or 'slim'? Are you 100% certain the laser assembly is designed for your particular PS2 model? If you're not sure check. I've found evidence that state that there are regional differences which some online sellers warn about :-

"This replacement FULL optical block is made of a brand new PVR802 lens for PStwo only (V12) and also includes the full optical block around it. CAREFUL: On some PS2 (mostly in Australia), there is another type of lens, which is wider, code name: 3170SPU, which is not compatible with the PVR802. Open your console to make sure which lens you have."

Several also state (maybe just for sales reasons) that you need to use a full replacement optical block ie. cradle, worm drive and disc spindle/motor designed for the new laser, not just the very much cheaper laser assembly itself.
    Thanks for the suggestion but the laser is not dirty, actually I own both 70012 models the one with the wide laser and the one with the normal laser. They are not interchangeable on consoles and use different voltages. The only place you can get the wide laser is usually from china it is more expensive and you cannot buy a new optical block for it anywhere. That is the one that scratches discs now.
    The second one uses the more common 802w laser and I replaced the whole assembly and that one does not scratch ps1 cd's but it does not read them well for instance I tried playing spyro and the music would rarely play.
    As stated it plays ps2 cd's and dvd games perfectly, as you might be aware ps2 cd games spin MUCH faster than ps1 or audio cd's. my thought at this point is that these replacement chinese lasers arent made with ps1 cd's or audio cd's in mind. And that sucks for me because I want to sell these two ps2 and get back some of the money I wasted on them.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sorry I could not be any help.

One thing I was wondering about the PS1 games' readability is what happens if you use the PS2's option to increase the spin speed of PS1 games? It does not help with a solution but it maybe useful information for someone who knows more about PS2 laser problems.