Thread: original xbox with semifrag?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default original xbox with semifrag?

I read a little of the FRAG error, the console turns itself off and on twice and then it gives the blinking green red light. So far I havent found a solution for my case.
    My xbox is still working it was a virgin xbox that randomly freezes and it still does that, after freezing sometimes gives the FRAG symptoms, I managed to softmod it in an attemp to format the hard disk hoping that it would correct the problem, but it didn't.
    I think I was lucky to format the hdd using zxbinstaller disc because I could ended up with an xbox with 05 or 06 error, anyway... My xbox is currently softmodded, the xbox hdd has been formatted, I can actually play a little of original discs, burned discs, play from the hdd but it keeps freezing and after freezing a few times I get the FRAG, sometimes it frags very often making me unable to play, when it happens I just turn off my xbox and try a few hours later.

Is there a way to fix this?
    Last edited by aspinia; 9th-October-2018 at 04:17.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Try replacing the HDD.
    Make sure you know what you're doing though, I can't even remember doing it for softmod tbh, but on my chipped console it's just as easy as replacing a HDD on a PC.

Edit:
    https://www.epforums.org/showthread....DE-PC-required
    Last edited by deadlegion; 9th-October-2018 at 04:26.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

I guess I should, I already replaced an xbox hdd for a bigger one, the thing is that I already sold my working xboxs this one is the only one left. I hope a new hdd solves the problem.
    I previously used the CHIMP program to change the hard disk to my other xboxs.

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't know 100% if the HDD is the issue but random problems aren't unusual for old drives, and I'm assuming the HDD you have in there is an old IDE that has had years of use.

If it's a brand new sata with adapter it could be the adapter that's faulty (sometimes even with the known working adapters you can get a faulty unit), or maybe the adapter doesn't like the HDD you're using (eg WD greens are known to cause problems).

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

I can not find ide2sata adapters in my country, so I buy second hand IDE hdds, if a an hdd change doesn't solve the problem there's nothing I can do, I'm no tecnician this would be my last bet.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by aspinia View Post
    I can not find ide2sata adapters in my country, so I buy second hand IDE hdds, if a an hdd change doesn't solve the problem there's nothing I can do, I'm no tecnician this would be my last bet.
    You can get adapters on ebay and probably alibaba/aliexpress etc.
    You have to buy IDE HDDs? It's easy enough to salvage free ones from discarded PCs and old PVRs here, although usually they aren't huge size

Spoiler warning:

7. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

It could be the HDD but something like this is more likely to be some age related issue. Damaged traces (the finest PCB pathways) caused by capacitor leaks. The clock capacitor in particular is renowned for leaks causing trace damage problems.

Could just be overheating; as the Xbox heats up everything expands slightly so a poor connection issue can become a no connection issue.

Identify where the trouble is can be VERY difficult but if the inside of the Xbox is carefully cleaned of dust and so on any capacitor leaks will be more easily identified.

If you're using an UnleashX dash check that the temperature threshold setting hasn't been set too low.

I doubt it is anything to do with the softmod itself but it is recommended you update that to something more recent than you probably are using at present.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheAbysmalDark For This Useful Post: