Thread: PS1 laser magnetized?

Thanks
    EP Points

Question PS1 laser magnetized?

Have this ps1 7501 from fleabay, been working great until last night...
    then all of a sudden it wont read discs (it stops in the middle of playing a game, and wont load) and is making this quietish start stop noise with the laser assembly.
    I managed to fix it, twice had to remove the assembly and lubricate it, and it really quieted down the 2nd time I lubed it because the thing was super loud before.
    However both times I lubed it I had to pull the laser away from the spindle, requiring a ton of pull force because it feels like to me they are magnetically stuck together.
    Is that normal or can it be demagnetized?

I feel like this could be a problem to the operation of the ps1 because I think when it malfunctioned the laser was basically stuck to the inside spindle area, now the lubrication may fix it or may not, however the magnetism between the parts feels very strong.

thanks!

Thanks
    EP Points

FYI, so the laser was not magnetized and I tested it out by setting it on top of some screws. The problem turned out to be the motor that moves the laser jamming up. I have used a tiny bit of sewing oil and it is working so far.