Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is ZSNES still useful?

Thanks

Default Is ZSNES still useful?

I heard that ZSNES is outdated nowadays, I originally wanted to use it record some footage only to learn later that it really isn't good for any games yet alone for recording. I wonder if ZSNES is still useful or still widely used nowadays?

Thanks
    EP Points

Not really. SNES9x is much more accurate, and is what I used to use before the entire Nintendo debacle hit HARD. ^^

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I wonder if ZSNES is still useful or still widely used nowadays?
    I'd hope it's not widely used anymore, but there's no reason not to have it, it's tiny. It is still useful, there are old fan translations and such that only run on it. The program was so popular that people didn't even test their hacks on real hardware, it was just "Does this run if I throw it at ZSNES? Yes? Good enough".
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

Not really. SNES9x is much more accurate, and is what I used to use before the entire Nintendo debacle hit HARD. ^^
    Funny, I thought it was the other way around but I guess times had changed. I still like ZSNES though.

I'd hope it's not widely used anymore, but there's no reason not to have it, it's tiny. It is still useful, there are old fan translations and such that only run on it. The program was so popular that people didn't even test their hacks on real hardware, it was just "Does this run if I throw it at ZSNES? Yes? Good enough".
    What happened to the ZSNES that caused its downfall? I thought the program was still good but then again it has been awhile since I used any other program other than ZSNES or SNES9x.

Thanks
    EP Points

What happened to the ZSNES that caused its downfall?
    It's an unsalvageable unfixable inaccurate mess. It was a great first try at building a SNES emulator, but everything under the hood is wrong.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

That is a shame, it was a pretty decent emulator when I first tried it but it looks like it is outdated and just plain broken. It was still a good emulator while it lasted but I guess I will have to stick with my SNES9x.

Thanks

The first SNES emulator is Snes9x ... ZSNES was much slower (P3 cpu minimum) and had problems, but for some reason it became more popular. Today, fortunately, Snes9x has recovered its deserved record, but for strange reasons ZSNES remains the most important.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Altirra View Post
    The first SNES emulator is Snes9x ... ZSNES was much slower (P3 cpu minimum) and had problems, but for some reason it became more popular. Today, fortunately, Snes9x has recovered its deserved record, but for strange reasons ZSNES remains the most important.
    I think you're misremembering. ZSNES ran fine on a P1 (I think it ran fine on 486's even, not that I tried), Snes9x was slower and *seemed* buggier back then.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hell, I still use it to this day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I think you're misremembering. ZSNES ran fine on a P1 (I think it ran fine on 486's even, not that I tried), Snes9x was slower and *seemed* buggier back then.
    That was what I was told back then but I didn't know that SNES9x was a lot better than I thought. I used it for some games and I used ZSNES for some games as well. Is it true that some games work better on the ZSNES or that other games work better on SNES9x?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    Hell, I still use it to this day.
    Me Too.

Thanks

Excuse me, but have you rehearsed at the time or do you speak by hearsay? I assure you that with a P2 266 MMX the Snes9x was perfect, while ZSNES was slow.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Altirra View Post
    Excuse me, but have you rehearsed at the time or do you speak by hearsay? I assure you that with a P2 266 MMX the Snes9x was perfect, while ZSNES was slow.
    No I was playing back then. I can't speak to what ran best on a specific old computer build. But as GAP just suggested:

Is it true that some games work better on the ZSNES or that other games work better on SNES9x?
    This was true. ZSNES was built to make specific/popular games just work. Snes9x was built to emulate a SNES. Neither did the job perfectly at the time. But the dominating success of ZSNES at the time is an obvious indicator which was generally received better. Everybody tried both, and most people thought "wow ZSNES runs this popular game I tried better". Which was wrong, but it worked.

Edit: There was also a 3rd piracy option, which even today remains better than emulation. Deciding that emulation is shit, and pirating your games on a real console
    Last edited by Ragnar; 20th-September-2018 at 21:25.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 539 Posts
    EP Points

ZSNES is great it even tracks what games you play i cant wait for Nintendo to get hold of me Name:  38792505_680317442330249_6206505678643658752_n.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  13.6 KB

Thanks

It is everything I thought I knew about ZSNES was a lie but I still think it is good for what it is. Still I had very fond memories of the emulator even if it was a lie, it is good one for providing me with wonderful experiences.

Edit: There was also a 3rd piracy option, which even today remains better than emulation. Deciding that emulation is shit, and pirating your games on a real console

I will take you word on that one. I cannot afford some of the real console so emulation it is for me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Flash carts can be a little pricey, but they're totally worth it.