Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: No more ISOs?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I already said we had a tracker years ago and it's long gone. A lot of people won't use torrents because you're uploading as well as downloading, so the risks are for everyone involved.
    Most people just want to download stuff, and then get angry if they can't. Plenty of those people never share anything themselves but feel entitled to get angry

Spoiler warning:

2. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks

This situation really stinks, being vision impaired I relied on this site to enjoy the classic handheld games (GB/GBC/GBA) and the magazines that I couldn't otherwise, god damn it Nintendo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I already said we had a tracker years ago and it's long gone. A lot of people won't use torrents because you're uploading as well as downloading, so the risks are for everyone involved.
    Most people just want to download stuff, and then get angry if they can't. Plenty of those people never share anything themselves but feel entitled to get angry
    That gives me an idea, since I've been backing stuff up lately, but I could share some of what I have after setting up a proper computer and backup , like via PM, Email, whichever methods. Especially since I got a few of the rarer games like Kyuinn which from what I searched wasn't even on the main site.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Lilia81 View Post
    That gives me an idea, since I've been backing stuff up lately, but I could share some of what I have after setting up a proper computer and backup , like via PM, Email, whichever methods. Especially since I got a few of the rarer games like Kyuinn which from what I searched wasn't even on the main site.
    /me points:
    https://www.epforums.org/forumdispla...pload-Services
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Game over. Even the BBC are reporting about this.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45169817

Guys, you'll have to go somewhere else. This place is toast.
    No Shock they are Siding and Kissing Nintendo's Ass

Downloading just as bad as Uploading
    Last edited by deadlegion; 14th-August-2018 at 07:14. Reason: merged posts

Thanks

Default Trying to become a ROM store in a GOG way

Hello everyone,
    As you I'm a long time EmuParadise fan and user, although not as talkative as many of you.
    With the recent news of disabling the ROMs download from EP, I began to wonder if there is a way to transform this site in a genuine ROM store, like GOG does with PC games and relative goodies (manuals, strategy guides, OSTs...).
    It won't be easy as it requires asking to the IP owners and distributors and who knows whom else for the rights to sell their ROMs, discussing prices and how to divide the revenues, and that's for every single game out there. But it could be done.
    I'm pretty sure there are people who like me would like to be able to get these games as legit ROMs and would gladly pay a fair price for them. Perhaps it's only a matter of showing some companies that it's worth trying. The job won't get done by itself though and it has to be an organised one.
    Just wishful thinking?

EDIT: I saw this thread but I thought my post was more helpful as a standalone thread as it could derail this one. Well, no biggie, but I felt necessary to point it out
    Last edited by Enigmaster; 14th-August-2018 at 15:34.

Thanks
    EP Points

It's true, with torrents we need less leechers and more people involved. This is something, however, most internet users fail to understand:

If you are only concerned about easy access to all ROMs and not willing to make any effort to share them you aren't going to see much of it in the future. I too thought they couldn't be gone and would ALWAYS be available whenever I wanted.

That's why I mentioned doing a backup and spreading all these contents as much as possible. That way even if Emuparadise and other sites were closed the sharing would continue.

Most knowledge we have today, from thousands of years ago, was copied by monks, they used manuscripts to store and disseminate information. Printed books is something that only became a reality in the 15th century, and it was very expensive and limited back then. We seem to forget all that.

This explains why many torrents from rare contents, uploaded in public trackers, are dead - if they aren't recent releases downloading is much more difficult. It takes only a few weeks for these torrents to start having problems with the lack of seeders.

If you are concerned about uploading, you know that downloading is just as bad for these companies, so it won't matter in the end.

Of course you may download once and that's it, and with torrents you need to share for a long time, but you get the point. What prevents these companies from suing Mega.nz, Dropbox, etc. to get the IP from those who downloaded the files? Nothing.

It would be a lot more hard to sue everyone, granted, rather than just looking who's sharing what in each torrent, something that can be done 24/7.

I see...

And all users should use VPN for everything, unless you live in a country that doesn't monitor your every single step. Not using VPN = suicide. (not a guarantee your VPN company will protect you to the end, yet it's better than nothing).

Anyways... there are sites that host everything like Emuparadise, Libgen is one, Redfox (AnyDVD) another, and they put all files in their own servers. So just linking to contents (like The Pirate Bay) is not the only alternative.
    Last edited by Perene; 14th-August-2018 at 15:47.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 62 Posts
    EP Points

The amount of misinformation and theories over the past few days has been quite a mess to be honest. I don't know if it's just the confusion from the sudden announcement but I have seen some odd ideas being thrown around concerning this.

To make it clear, Nintendo has nothing to do with forcibly removing downloads from the main website. It was done voluntarily as a preventative measure due to concerns over the well being of site members in an increasingly uncertain legal climate. You could say Nintendo's recent actions have had an indirect influence on this decision, but Nintendo themselves are not directly involved.

Emulation has always been in a legal grey area. Law varies depending on the country of course, but in most cases rips of old games fall into the area of technically under copyright protection but at the same time being old, forgotten, or unavailable enough that copying them wouldn't raise many objections. Copyright law is perhaps too ill equipped to consider the changes media has undergone over the past few decades. How old software lingers under copyright protection despite publication having long been ceased, unable to be used for educational or historical purposes, is maybe an indication of flaws in current copyright systems, but that is a whole other long complicated subject matter to deal with.

The point being here is that emulation has long been a community of individuals and groups putting forth effort archiving games, writing software, and spreading knowledge about running old titles. With that comes risk from companies who may see emulation as a threat to business or simply see it as an unauthorized use of their property and nothing more. Emuparadise is well within their reason to choose whether to make public downloads available or not. Any other outlet makes the same risk of receiving unwanted attention when they make games like these available. I only ask that people consider this when others voluntarily put forth effort into something that may put them at that risk.

I've seen suggestions calling for P2P implementations to get files back up. P2P networks usually attract even more unwanted attention and put site members at even greater risk, which is what this decision was meant to prevent in the first place. It's not what I would see as a reasonable path to go down. Of course, what you choose do on your own accord is entirely up to you.

Whether a lot of this content sticks around really depends on how much the community allows it to survive. I wouldn't go as far as calling doomsday due to the loss of downloads on the main site, there are other sources out there. It's still disheartening, but I hope it at least allows the opportunity for more people to realize the importance of all the effort it takes to keep old media available.
    Last edited by Cyber Puppet; 15th-August-2018 at 05:00.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cyber Puppet For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Why don't Emuparadise provide the ROMs legally?

As the title, why don't Emuparadise provide the ROMs legally?

Make this site as a store, where people can legally purchase the ROMs that they wanna get. And all purchases goes to the game creators.

This way, we could preserve all video games legally and everyone can get the games they wan't legally.

Perhaps, for the companies or creators that generous enough to give away their old classic games, that game will be made public for FREE and for the games whose creator demand payment, we just make the game available with a payment.

For me, if I had a game that is already like over 20 years old, I would just made it public for FREE.

That will make everyone happy.
    Last edited by angel_x; 14th-August-2018 at 22:13.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angel_x View Post
    As the title, why don't Emuparadise provide the ROMs legally?

Make this site as a store, where people can legally purchase the ROMs that they wanna get. And all purchases goes to the game creators.

This way, we could preserve all video games legally and everyone can get the games they wan't legally.

Perhaps, for the companies or creators that generous enough to give away their old classic games, that game will be made public for FREE and for the games whose creator demand payment, we just make the game available with a payment.

For me, if I had a game that is already like over 20 years old, I would just made it public for FREE.

That will make everyone happy.
    This is impossible because of licensing issues. Don't you think Nintendo/Sony/Sega/Microsoft would have already done this? They don't own the rights to all the games, so it's impossible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KiLLTHENOiSE View Post
    This is impossible because of licensing issues. Don't you think Nintendo/Sony/Sega/Microsoft would have already done this? They don't own the rights to all the games, so it's impossible.
    Although they don't hold the rights to all their games, I'm sure some first party could be distributed. I'd love to see say Sega allowing the sale of its first party games instead of selling silly compilations every console generation. ~€/$30.00 for about 50 games? What about selling single games for one or two bucks and giving the possibility to use them anywhere including everdrives and your flashback consoles? It's better getting one buck for an old game than getting none because it's obtained under the table.
    I don't say it's easy to convince them, but that it isn't impossible. There's an online store proving it.
    Yes, that couldn't be applied to all existing games, but it's a beginning and IMHO in the right direction.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmaster View Post
    Although they don't hold the rights to all their games, I'm sure some first party could be distributed. I'd love to see say Sega allowing the sale of its first party games instead of selling silly compilations every console generation. ~€/$30.00 for about 50 games? What about selling single games for one or two bucks and giving the possibility to use them anywhere including everdrives and your flashback consoles? It's better getting one buck for an old game than getting none because it's obtained under the table.
    I don't say it's easy to convince them, but that it isn't impossible. There's an online store proving it.
    Yes, that couldn't be applied to all existing games, but it's a beginning and IMHO in the right direction.
    You know why this idea will never work?

For the same reasons explained in these links
    https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...d-a-hard-place
    http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmo...-with-netflix/

Regarding Netflix. To sum things up there are so many companies and people that would ask for so much money that eventually some games would not be "sold" (and if so what's the point, if you are going to leave many out?), or the prices would rise to an extortionate level. In case you haven't noticed, besides Netflix there are (now, as of 2018) several streaming services, and they don't have the same catalog from each other. Some titles are also exclusive for a few countries (inside Netflix), they aren't allowed to be seen in country A, and vice-versa. For example: in the U.S. I can see House, M.D. (TV show), not in Chile. In Chile I'll find Star Trek: TOS, not in the U.S.

This sort of thing could happen with ROMs, too. Also note that Netflix's number of available titles has decreased over the years, the content owners didn't want to renew their contracts, because they thought weren't paid enough, or didn't want their contents to be seen this way (to promote their TV networks), or simply were holding these unavailable, for any reason (not necessarily related to "I am going to sell the game tomorrow"). They could forbid "paid ROMs" simply because they want, not only due to a future release.

Many titles vanishing from the extremely limited Netflix catalog is something very, very common. We see it everyday. And if you are going to count how many movies, TV shows, documentaries, aren't there... it would be easy to do this with the stars in the Universe.

Anyone saying Netflix is the paid alternative to piracy must be blind.

Can you imagine how bad this could go if ROMs were sold?

In the end no one would buy and we would be back to square one, with free versions again a lot more popular.

As for IP laws, well, I don't need to elaborate why no one should follow them, Congress is always moving to extend copyright protection... look at this:
    https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...ight-law.shtml

(...)
    Yes, you read that right. If you digitized books from 1912, you could infringe on a copyright from 1935. That is not a functional system.

But that's not the only crazy case. Hirtle highlights another example of what he believes may be the oldest work still covered by US copyright... and it's from 1755:

(...)

It's naive to think decades from now everyone will be able to download these games.

P.S. About ROMs, there's also the fact we don't really know which game belongs to whom. I mean: who should receive the money. Many were sold back then by now defunct companies. And they could have been distributed by more than one company.

And when that happens with movies, you know what's the outcome? The movie is not released until the rights issues are settled. This legal battle ALWAYS delays the selling of DVDs and other media for many years, if not indefinitely.

If Nintendo or any other company started distributing games that don't belong to them they could be sued and forced to pay a lot of money.
    Last edited by Perene; 15th-August-2018 at 12:46.

Thanks
    EP Points

To follow up Perene's post about the nightmare of 3rd party games, 1st party games are obviously far simpler. They have already been sold in ways that make much more money than a site offering rom files for a buck. Nintendo was getting like $10 a pop for some games on their Virtual Console IIRC, and selling rom systems for $80. Sega has licensed out their games to sell some rom boxes too.
    Last edited by Ragnar; 15th-August-2018 at 14:02.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

I wouldn't take Netflix an example as I would use GOG instead. Netflix sells a digital service, not digital goods. There's a multitude of so called abandonware sites which allow you to download games in the same claiming that the company releasing them no longer bothers to claim their rights on them. And there's GOG, in which you can download many (not all, I'm aware of that) and have legal rights to use them and download them as many times as you want. And they are also DRM free. GOG does a hard job but we wouldn't have it if we naysayed it could be done.
    Games can be pulled from their store as agreement expire but who purchased it is still able to download these games, unlike the service provided by Netflix on which if a video is removed one simply can no longer watch it from there. And agreements can be rediscussed.

About the ALL games issue: I agree, my idea wouldn't lead to a complete preservation. Heck I still don't have a legal way to purchase Blood Omen on any digital store, and that bothers me (I have an original PS1 disc anyway), so I know what it means. And who knows to how many games this applies! I would still recur to other means to preserve and conserve them, and that's the reason why I preferred to keep my OP separated from this thread. These are different topics.

PS: @Ragnar, did Sega licence ROMs? I know that on the AtGames Mega Drive Portable's box it's stated that games can be downloaded (from where, in their view, I don't know), but that's all I know. Still, it's precious info.
    Last edited by Enigmaster; 15th-August-2018 at 14:32.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sega hasn't made any of the rom boxes that've been out there. The included roms were licensed, obviously.