Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: No more ISOs?

Thanks

I need to get off my butt and start posting around here. Been busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Perene View Post
    All the out of print magazines and strategy guides are gone, too. For what reason?
    A 'just in case' thing, probably. I was trying to download all the Nintendo Power magazines before they took them down. I had about 15 more to download at the time. Too bad the magazines are rare, because I can't seem to find downloads of them anywhere else.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Platina View Post
    A 'just in case' thing, probably. I was trying to download all the Nintendo Power magazines before they took them down. I had about 15 more to download at the time. Too bad the magazines are rare, because I can't seem to find downloads of them anywhere else.
    One thing I'll say, if a website can't stay alive ignoring DMCA and everything else they can throw, then it can't stay alive, period. We all know it's a matter of time until it vanishes.

Mike Mozart in this video about the defunct Megaupload got it right...

"@08:20 - The actual owner and staff are in New Zealand. But you know why the United States took upon himself to carry out this action? Because they had a few leased servers in Virginia.

Oh, my God, so now they can police the entire world if any company in the world has that tiniest little presence in the United States. What does that tell you if your business is overseas?

You pull all of your goddamn business out of America. If you are on the internet you don't work with an american company, you don't use our server space, you don't use our IP registrars, or you can find yourself in an american prison for the rest of your life.

YOU REMEMBER THAT.

(...)

Note: The video also mentions the Richard O'Dwyer case.

(...)

Make sure you tell the world what's going on here, because this is only the start. They are going to control you, they are going to own you. They are going to take everything you own. Because that's what they do, they have no heart. And you're going to watch their media? You're going to support these monsters? No way."

Nowadays even if you don't host anything and simply link to where the contents can be found (like The Pirate Bay) you are in big trouble, worse if you made money from it (again see the Kim Dotcom/Megaupload case, they did all they could, even illegal spying, to catch the guy).

It makes no sense to comply with DMCA, since you can be hit by Nintendo or Sony with a single request and ALL links. It doesn't matter if you do what they ask, that will never be enough. The mere existence of such sites is a threat to their tyranny.

Later the police is on your door to bring you and take down the servers.
    Last edited by Perene; 10th-August-2018 at 03:45.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

One thing I'll say, if a website can't stay alive ignoring DMCA and everything else they can throw, then it can't stay alive, period. We all know it's a matter of time until it vanishes.
    GBAtemp is still very much alive.

You can't ignore the possibility of legal action forever. Eventually you spend your whole life trying to avoid the law, or you change so you don't have to keep evading it.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Let me point you at GBATemp. They're a romsite that has been without roms for like 10-15 years. The community they've built up is frankly better than Emuparadise had a week ago, when we had virtually every rom in existence.
    The only reasons I go to GBATemp are for ROMHacks (which are useless without a ROMsite), Emulators that I can't find elsewhere (again, useless without a ROM site), and flashcart files ("..."). They are a resource download site for me; their community has no impact whatsoever beyond the fact that there are probably multiple uploaders behind the files I'm looking for. A ROMsite without ROMs is of no value; and there's no need to reinvent the wheel and present the same "related" resources others already have.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by LogicalElf View Post
    The only reasons I go to GBATemp are for ROMHacks (which are useless without a ROMsite), Emulators that I can't find elsewhere (again, useless without a ROM site), and flashcart files ("..."). They are a resource download site for me; their community has no impact whatsoever beyond the fact that there are probably multiple uploaders behind the files I'm looking for. A ROMsite without ROMs is of no value; and there's no need to reinvent the wheel and present the same "related" resources others already have.
    GBAtemp had roms originally. I believe that site started in 2002.
    Emuparadise is technically older than that.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by killapinke View Post
    ROM's are free You pay for download service
    But the Service is now gone

Mike Mozart in this video about the defunct Megaupload got it right...

"@08:20 - The actual owner and staff are in New Zealand. But you know why the United States took upon himself to carry out this action? Because they had a few leased servers in Virginia.

Oh, my God, so now they can police the entire world if any company in the world has that tiniest little presence in the United States. What does that tell you if your business is overseas?

You pull all of your goddamn business out of America. If you are on the internet you don't work with an american company, you don't use our server space, you don't use our IP registrars, or you can find yourself in an american prison for the rest of your life.

YOU REMEMBER THAT.

(...)

Note: The video also mentions the Richard O'Dwyer case.

(...)

Make sure you tell the world what's going on here, because this is only the start. They are going to control you, they are going to own you. They are going to take everything you own. Because that's what they do, they have no heart. And you're going to watch their media? You're going to support these monsters? No way."

Nowadays even if you don't host anything and simply link to where the contents can be found (like The Pirate Bay) you are in big trouble, worse if you made money from it (again see the Kim Dotcom/Megaupload case, they did all they could, even illegal spying, to catch the guy).

It makes no sense to comply with DMCA, since you can be hit by Nintendo or Sony with a single request and ALL links. It doesn't matter if you do what they ask, that will never be enough. The mere existence of such sites is a threat to their tyranny.

Later the police is on your door to bring you and take down the servers.
    Though no User ever got in Trouble for Customers of Megaupload
    Last edited by deadlegion; 10th-August-2018 at 10:00. Reason: merged posts

Thanks

Default Good while it lasted!

Well, without ROMs, this site is now worthless. Too bad, it was my favorite site out there. I give it 6 months before it folds for lack of visitors. I even paid for their premium service. Don't understand how they think they'll make any money now. There are tons of sites (and just Google) to find emulators. It was the ROMs that made this site worth anything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShinigamiKiba View Post
    Thanks for that info!
    really appreciate it

Still, all the obscure games we lost on here, that's what really gets to me, the classics and popular stuff you can easily find wherever, I'm not concerned with that.

Let me give you an example
    This morning I downloaded Scout Disposable Assassin from here, you can not find the game over at the other popular and cool ROM/Emulation site.
    It's not on their list.
    It's Scud The Disposable Assassin, not Scout.....
    And you can find it on several sites.
    Last edited by lolo33; 10th-August-2018 at 13:00.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    GBAtemp is still very much alive.

You can't ignore the possibility of legal action forever. Eventually you spend your whole life trying to avoid the law, or you change so you don't have to keep evading it.
    In many cases the sites which are taken down either use U.S. servers (or anything from the United States) or the admins can't hide properly.

1) For example: all such sites that receive payment (even through donations) can be traced back to the owners this way. They need to either stop with this (since for whatever reason they can be accused to be profiting with their activities, directly), or use anonymous methods to receive the money (if these exist).

2) Two famous examples: Redfox (former Slysoft) and Libgen:

Slysoft was shut down:
    https://torrentfreak.com/popular-blu...essure-160224/

And made a comeback, with another name:
    https://torrentfreak.com/anydvd-is-b...r-says-160302/

Have you noticed they are now hosted in... Netherlands, and the domain is from Belize? "Now hailing from Belize with at least some infrastructure in Latvia". And they receive payments for their software.

So what's their secret?

Libgen: Hosted in Ukraine, and the domain is from Russia (libgen.io is from Seychelles).

Attempts to shut down the site have failed.

https://torrentfreak.com/court-order...ci-hub-151102/

https://torrentfreak.com/elsevier-cr...ticles-150609/

3) Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom was already famous when he started the site. We don't really know who's behind Libgen and RedFox. It's better this way, instead of painting a target on your back. The most basic thing you can do is hide your personal details in the whois. Many don't even do this.

4) If kicked from the server, switch to another one, that doesn't comply with court orders to handle all your data. The same can be said about domains.

Is everything I said going to guarantee the survival of Emuparadise or the freedom of its owners?

I have no idea. But you'll have to agree that unless we learn from past mistakes and study which cases have succeeded there's no point in having a site.

Have you noticed many ISPs (from several countries, actually) are blocking TPB, Libgen, KAT, etc.?

https://torrentfreak.com/vodafone-bl...nction-180808/ (Libgen blocked)

Because they can't use DMCA or any law from the U.S. to bring the servers down, or its owners.

Ask yourself what's so special about all of them that can make them stay alive after many years.
    Last edited by Perene; 10th-August-2018 at 18:12.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Perene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

All my support to the emuparadise team, for what it has and has had to face in its long existence.

We hope you find a solution, eliminate everything from nintendo for example but it do not miss the rest.

This week is very sad for me, we just want to play some time in the emulators for games that we bought in our childhood, and that are no longer sold

Thanks
    EP Points

Emuparadise its a great place, hate to see it go like that. At first I thought the content could be brought to the Discord, but that wouldn't be the best idea. All I know is that Emuparadise is got to have a new plan that works out for the best. Usually to do it right you got too start over new, saying what's going to work, and whats not going to work. Its not my decision though, I do have a feeling that Emuparadise will come back, stronger than ever in do time.

Thank you Emuparadise for all the great things you done.

God Bless!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamer One For This Useful Post:

Thanks

i just found this great website T.T
    haven't got the chance to take my favorite games T.T
    hopefully Emuparadise will come back.
    wish you guys all the best.

Thanks

Default Boycott Nintendo?

So here's my suggestion and chances are no one will follow suit but anyways...

We boycott Nintendo this for this assholery they've pulled. Don't buy Nintendo games, don't buy consoles, not until they allow rom sites to host the games again.

Chances are, no one will do this, but I am.

Thanks
    EP Points

Here's a paranoid thought. What if Nintendo set the whole thing up to begin with in regards to Loveroms?

Also has anyone seen any news about this that hasn't been on other internet sites, like local news or CNN or something. You would think a potentially 100m lawsuit by a massive corporation would be shown somewhere. Only thing I've found so far was a blurb in Arizona where I believe Loveroms is registered. Don't watch tv myself so just wondering.

The states are probably the one place where it's so easy to sue someone. Think about it, who would be stupid enough to have a big romsite like this in America with Nintendo of America right there? What if they put the site together 5 years ago or later paid out to pull off this scam in order to scare off other sites?

/conspiracytheories.zal

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Here's a paranoid thought. What if Nintendo set the whole thing up to begin with in regards to Loveroms?

Also has anyone seen any news about this that hasn't been on other internet sites, like local news or CNN or something. You would think a potentially 100m lawsuit by a massive corporation would be shown somewhere. Only thing I've found so far was a blurb in Arizona where I believe Loveroms is registered. Don't watch tv myself so just wondering.

The states are probably the one place where it's so easy to sue someone. Think about it, who would be stupid enough to have a big romsite like this in America with Nintendo of America right there? What if they put the site together 5 years ago or later paid out to pull off this scam in order to scare off other sites?

/conspiracytheories.zal
    I kinda doubt it, loveroms seemed like a quick cash grab made by a bunch of idiots, thats why they had exe downloaders. Either way, nothing of terrible value of lost - they didn't have that big of a backlog. It is strange how it didn't go viral, normally news sites love this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob92 View Post
    Well, without ROMs, this site is now worthless. Too bad, it was my favorite site out there. I give it 6 months before it folds for lack of visitors. I even paid for their premium service. Don't understand how they think they'll make any money now. There are tons of sites (and just Google) to find emulators. It was the ROMs that made this site worth anything.
    Imagine being this disrespectful to people that dedicated their time to serve spoiled brats like you. This is why the scene is dying. I don't think i've read anything more retarded in my life.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tacotime For This Useful Post: