Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: No more ISOs?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by LogicalElf View Post
    Well, I'm sad to see EP go. Because now, there's no point to the site even existing. Until the files come back, there's absolutely no benefit to be here.
    Let me point you at GBATemp. They're a romsite that has been without roms for like 10-15 years. The community they've built up is frankly better than Emuparadise had a week ago, when we had virtually every rom in existence.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Hope for the best in your future endeavors, hopefully Ep can be revived even if its in another way.

Thank you Ep.
    I know and feel you'll live on in someway.
    you got my support.

Thanks

I actually considered drawing artwork in the wake of it, not sure if it would be right or even where I would share it but its an idea.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Lilia81 View Post
    I actually considered drawing artwork in the wake of it, not sure if it would be right or even where I would share it but its an idea.
    depending on the artwork you could probably start a thread in the free for all section of the forums to post.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Lilia81 View Post
    art would be a great idea, great way to express yourself

Thanks
    EP Points

If I were the admin of this site I would upload all ROMs either in a cyberlocker, and post the links in warez sites, or in a public torrent.

Of course I wouldn't tell anyone here that I was the one doing that... I would pretend some user did save all ROMs. Or even let anyone visiting Emuparadise this is being done. At least that would mitigate this shutdown.

Over the last years I saw many sites being closed, and many didn't even have games. I understand the admin's position, it's easy to say "I would do this and that" without feeling the heat from this mafia controlling the entertainment industry. TPB resisted and even though the admins were sent to jail and they did all they could the site is still online after all this time, however there's a huge difference: they didn't (and currently don't) host ANYTHING.

If Emuparadise became a "Pirate Bay of ROMs" it would either have the same fate or these companies would start going after the users or the cyberlockers themselves, with their dirty tactics we all know.

For everyone that has some content and don't want to see it gone, read what I said here if the goal is to save in a safe place (and no, I am not talking about external drives):
    https://www.epforums.org/showthread....63#post1926663

Luckily I did that with a few games I was interested. If you are storing these files in Mega.nz, Dropbox or similar sites you are wasting your time. And external drives will break sooner or later.

Thanks

It is indeed quite a shame, but oh well. Would be really funny after all this to see relentless DDOS attacks on Nintendo and any company with ties to Nintendo. Give them a major headache and PR nightmare.

Of course, I have no knowledge at all on how that is done and would not participate, but I would love to see it happen.

Another area that this is going to hurt are flash cart sales. No major point in buying a flash cart if you have nothing to put on it. This will, however, help the folks on e-bay and amazon who skirt the rules and sell rom compilations as "bonus inclusions" in random junk you purchase.

This only makes things more difficult for the end user which is us. It also shows that if you have money and a lot of it, and have enough lawyers to make Satan feel squirmish, you can get whatever you want in life regardless of ethics, morals, or public opinion. If you're loaded wealthy, you run the world. End of story.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jdurg View Post
    It is indeed quite a shame, but oh well. Would be really funny after all this to see relentless DDOS attacks on Nintendo and any company with ties to Nintendo. Give them a major headache and PR nightmare.
    What headache? You really think a mere attack that can be fixed within hours is going to hurt anyone?

It will at best be laughed by them.

What you (and everyone else) should do is simple: don't give them money. That's how you are going to hurt these companies, when you mess with their sales.

The reasons people choose emulators are:

- They are better (or different) than playing in the original equipment. That's why even if I had the chance to buy all videogames (or get them for free) I would still want to play with emulators. And frankly I sold all my old stuff for the same reason I am selling the few physical books I have here: it's easier to play with ROMs/anything digital.

I can use my PC for all that, despite the fact it's not perfect in most cases (emulation is not 100%) it's a great alternative.

- Retro games are nowadays sold for a lot of money. It doesn't matter if the titles s.uck or if the console only had 6 or 7 games - you are still forced to pay huge sums of money for something that a decade ago wasn't so expensive.

Just type this in Google: "why retro games are so expensive" and you'll see people trying to justify this extorsion.

Among the reasons I can offer two:

1) It's a ploy that is part of a carefully orchestrated strategy to restrict access to them, in order to build demand for it. This model has been used for Walt Disney (see explanation below):

Creating an artificial scarcity of a product they have an endless supply of guarantees they can always sell it at a premium. When it comes "out of the vault", they'll be selling it for $39.99 a pop. Without that mechanism, all their classic titles would be in the bargain bin being sold for $5.99, just like all other 50+ year old films. It's quite clever, actually, and you gotta admire the chutzpah for pulling it off.

And when they release things again (like the SNES Classic) it's limited to a few built-in games, requiring you to hack in order to make your investiment worth.

And 2) New titles are nowhere near interesting and attract only a fraction of customers, despite what all the companies say about sales.

So what's the solution? Kill the competition, that is not only better, it's totally free.

The last console I bought was a GameCube and that was probably around 2004, 2005. 2 years later no one was producing games for it. I don't want any more of this c.rap.

To sum things up: we need to either take a moral stance and don't buy anything from them, or stop doing for technical reasons, because the new games aren't good and they don't offer the contents we want.

If Nintendo and others were offering emulators+roms for a reasonable price (or for any price, for that matter) then they could say what Emuparadise and other sites are doing is unfair. But they are not, just like Warner, Sony, Disney, Paramount, etc. aren't selling MOVIES in digital files (without any DRM) for me to play in whatever device I want.

They are insisting in physical media. I have the money to buy the few titles I am interested, but I refuse to do and ALSO haven't been doing for more than a decade. It's not just because I can get this for free.

Even when we get for free in most cases the files aren't LOSSLESS, only LOSSY. We don't get the covers and etc. scanned in high-resolution. So like emulators/roms it's not the same thing.

Still I don't care about investing in physical media since it's a hassle - I need a TV, a Blu-ray player, pay for shipping costs, then there's the fact my country has 0.1% of all US releases, import fees, etc., etc.

Netflix isn't an option, they have only few titles (and the ones they have are always being pulled from there), we now have many streaming services and the contents are all spread among them.

What if I want to watch in Blu-ray quality (even if the file has 30 GB) in my iPAD?

"Well, f. you. You don't have a say, you'll get what we want, when and how WE want".

Like Amazon did a decade ago:

"That didn't take long. Two months after a high school student sued Amazon for removing George Orwell's "1984" from his Kindle e-reader, along with all his notes, Amazon has settled the lawsuit. Techflash dug up the the settlement, which was filed in Seattle on September 25. Amazon will give $150,000 to the plaintiff's lawyers, and lead law firm KamberEdelson LLC said it will donate its share to charity. It's not clear from Techflash's report how much money 17-year-old Justin Gawronski of Michigan and a co-plaintiff, Antoine Bruguier, will get.

In July, Amazon remotely wiped Orwell's "1984" and "Animal Farm" from all Kindle e-readers, because the publisher of the e-books didn't have the rights to sell them in the United States. The move was seen as Orwellian in itself, and raised questions of whether the consumer really owns digital content that is downloaded and paid for.

Shortly after the incident, Amazon apologized and said it wouldn't happen again. People who had downloaded the e-books, who were already refunded after the deletion, were offered their e-books back along with their notes, or they could take a $30 gift certificate instead

(...)"

And if you remove the DRM from your own purchased e-book you are breaking the law.

My wallet disagrees. I have a say. We all do.

In the end the demise of Emuparadise won't change ANYTHING. It will only make ROMs harder to find. No one that is reading me now will stop downloading roms because Nintendo prefers that all these games fall into obscurity.

They may win MANY battles, yet the war has been lost a long time ago.

(Sorry for the long rant)
    Last edited by Perene; 9th-August-2018 at 18:59.

Thanks

I get aknowledge somewhere that the site is going to shut down because of Nintendo. Anyone knows something about it?

Thanks
    EP Points

The site isn't going to shut down it just will not offer roms/isos for the time being it will remain a retro gaming site even though it is changing what those changes may be hasn't been worked out yet.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    EP Points

Looks like the mighty legal hammer has finally slammed emuparadise. I've been coming to emuparadise for just shy of 7 years at this point, and the true sense of community and dedication this site had always blew me away. It was always my number 1 rom site no question asked -- and nothing will ever replace all the good memories it has.

Scumbag romsites have forgotten the pirate scene code and are more focused on you downloading a sketchy exe to get a game. That's not scene, its not even a love for ROMs, that's a love for money -- the same thing driving these sites to get shut down by new-age Nintendo.

I send my deepest sympathies to the team at emuparadise. I can't imagine the legal scrutiny you are under right now. Do what is in the best interest of your site, some ROM files isn't worth jail time..and romsites are like the hydra anyways, I hope some genuine sites will pop up in the next few days. If I had the knowledge (and the money) I would consider starting one. Thankfully, as I'm sure some of you are aware, there are some good-natured ROM sites still out there that don't exist on a capitalist agenda. I digress however, none of those new sites come even close to the original backlog emuparadise had, nor the community emuparadise built. I only wish I participated more in this forum, and maybe was of some use when this shit hit the fan.

For those out there that feel lost right now, perhaps it is time to investigate "private trackers". I feel the age of public rom sites might be coming to an end. Big corporations have an excessive amount of power legally nowadays, and while that can be debated morally in this issue it doesn't change the fact that emuparadise shutting down rom downloads sucks. Rest assured however, good romsites do exist. You will just need to spend much more time hunting them down, or gaining access to them if you decide to pursue private trackers. Godspeed to all of you.
    Last edited by tacotime; 9th-August-2018 at 20:35.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tacotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Dear Admin,

I hope you reading this. The issue that has been going on was with Nintendo.

SO one suggestion, can we just take out Nintendo games and any Nintendo related games?

AND leave the rest as it is?

Thanks!

It hurts to see this happen, how can we get to play video games that doesn't exist anymore?

Nintendo has made tons of money already, how much more do they need? What are they going to do with all those money? Are they using the money to stop poverty or making the world a better place?

Anyway, hopefully your team can resolve this and bring back emuparadise to life but without Nintendo games, who cares about them. I don't know if I want to purchase anymore Nintendo games because they have killed my family member, emuparadise...

Last edited by angel_x; 9th-August-2018 at 21:56.

Thanks
    EP Points

what about the membership I paid for roms we should get it back

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jameswest For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 539 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by jameswest View Post
    what about the membership I paid for roms we should get it back
    ROM's are free You pay for download service

18. The Following User Says Thank You to killapinke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

All the out of print magazines and strategy guides are gone, too. For what reason?