Thread: Restart to repair drive errors

Thanks

Unhappy Restart to repair drive errors

So I turned off my laptop, a little while later I turn it on, it takes a bit to turn on, which isn't unusual at all for me, but this time I got the disk check thing where you can skip it. I did, and I get a notification telling me to Restart to repair drive errors. (C drive)

So I did and it went fairly quick, it got stuck at certain points but not for long, I think it got to 100% too, I didn't see any status but theres that, but I'm still worried, is this a sign of a failing hard drive? I hadn't had this laptop for more than a year so I hope things are not going to fail since I have some important stuff, I did the hard drive check via a command prompt and it said 'Ok'

Thanks
    EP Points

I guess you mean it ran Chkdsk (Check Disk) at boot. I've never seen that run without actually being manually selected but apparently it will following an improper shutdown, HDD errors or some 'malware infections'.

C(boot drive) > Properties > Tools > Check Drive For Errors

When it is the boot drive it won't run because it is being used so you're given the option to check or check/repair at next boot up.

What Chkdsk does is look for and correct (repair) indexing errors and move files from suspect HDD sectors and mark those sectors so they're not used. Modern Windows OS are supposed to make such repairs automatically when encountered. Maybe it did detect a problem on C:\ and that's why it ran Chkdsk at boot.

Running Chkdsk with repairs should not cause any problems, very much the opposite. It should fix them so I'd run Chkdsk with repairs ASAP.

If the laptop is new I'd guess it is using Win10. I've not heard of any problems with it and Chkdsk but there are plenty of anecdotal reports of files/folders going missing on all Windows OS after running it. All I can say is that I've used Chkdsk at least once a month for the last 8+ years on two PCs without any such problem. But I have to mention this because using any such tool, even a built in OS tool, carries with it some risk.

I'd also run System File Checker(SFC):

Command prompt: sfc /scannow (NB as shown there should be a space between sfc and /scannow)

That will check the OS for missing or corrupted files and repair them if found. Both Chkdsk and SFC write logs when they're run so that you can see what errors, if any, were repaired. Stupidly when you run boot time Chkdsk Windows flashes the result up on screen for literally a couple of seconds before rebooting. No chance to read it although you should get a second message just before the login screen which will tell you if the volume was "clean".

Chkdsk logs are well hidden:-

How To Find CHKDSK Scan Log (Windows 7)

Follow these steps to view the Check Disk (CHKDSK) results:

1). Open the Control Panel.
    2). Open Administrative Tools.
    3). Select Event Viewer.
    4). In the Event Viewer expand the Windows Logs.
    5). Select the Application log.
    6). Right Click the Application log and select Find.
    7). Type "wininit" (no quotation marks of course) in the box and click Find Next.

BTW Wininit simply means Windows Initialization. Also when you run a boot time Chkdsk you'll probably find a new file added to the root of C:\ bootsqm.dat. What that is meant for I do not know but if it bothers you it can be deleted without issue. It will of course return whenever you run Chkdsk again.

If the prompt to repair errors repeats or you get Chkdsk running again at boot then begin to suspect a HDD problem but I'd still run a full anti-virus/anti-malware scan first before getting worried about that.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/comp...tup-57204.html
    Last edited by TheAbysmalDark; 29th-July-2018 at 13:50.

Thanks

Ah gotcha.

I ran an antivirus scan and It showed nothing (Using Malwarebytes and Adware Cleaner, with a windows scan planned for later today), I hadn't seen the message again as of this writing so It not one of those repeat check errors or chkdsk situations so theres that, I also looked to check the chkdsk results though I didn't see anything wrong, though I dont know what to look out for. So maybe it was just an improper shutdown?

Thanks
    EP Points

Could well be.

Out of habit more than anything if I am forced to shutdown 'improperly' as sometimes is necessary I reboot in Safe Mode and schedule Chkdsk at next normal boot. I've yet to have Chkdsk report it found let alone fixed an error under such circumstances but better safe than sorry. I also run SFC afterwards too.

If the automatic boot time Chkdsk scan repeats any time soon I'd use a good HDD SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) tool to check the health of the HDD.