Thread: What are some good mini pc's for everything mame, higan and the sorts

Thanks
    EP Points

Default What are some good mini pc's for everything mame, higan and the sorts

I first thought i should get a alienware steam machine and upgrade the cpu to a good i7. But is the integrated graphics good enough. It's nvidea integrated for that computer. I kinda want to do everything in 4k.ill prob trying finding a 4770 cpu which is 3.4gh or something around there.
    I later found a console size pc on ebay. The cpu is advertised as 3.5 but looking throu google it's a 2.6 ghz. maybe it reaches that after the turbo. Also it doesn't come with ram or ssd if you read the description. very sneeky. what you guys think.
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Game-PC-Inte...sid=m570.l1313
    The other mini pc's usally have the cpu soldered on so it's impossible to upgrade them as higan and higher end mame can be very demanding.
    Anyone know of good console size pc's that won't brake the bank that can run higher end emulation. I got a raspberry pi and it's not cutting it. I need higan and higher end arcade emulators.
    PSP 2000 Infinity 6.61 with 64GB
    ps vita ps vita henkaku 3.60 enzo with 200gb
    PS2 FMB 1TB sata mod, hd retrovision component cables
    Raspberry pi 128GB with video previews and box art
    MiSTer FPGA
    Soft modded wii external 1tb a-data harddrive, monster component cables
    n64 everdrive 2.0,sd2snes, everdrive n8, everdrive gb x7, megaeverdrive, gba m3light, ezflash omega, ds evolution, Pseudo Saturn, R4I gold 2018

Thanks
    EP Points

Hurrrgh, the one listed does sound sketchy. To add 8gb ram and a 1TB HDD is 240 pounds which is around 315 American. So now that price jumps up to 800 bucks. And even more if you wanted to jump to 16gb ram. The 960m is a laptop processor for graphics so is probably a stripped down version of a full card - at least it's separate from the CPU though but still integrated. Not saying it's bad though, looks fast and a decent amount of dedicated ram for it, it'll come down to the amount of shader units etc for it which would be much lower than an equivalent full card I imagine. Looks like a 6th gen I7 which is still good I suppose. I'd also be worried about heating issues. High end emulation like PCSX2 have a habit of really taxing and heating up the CPU/GPU - I've killed more than one laptop running those.

Definitely kills a Pi that's for sure.

In the end though if you're willing to spend around a thousand bucks anyways you'd probably be better off just building a small tower piece by piece. An 8th gen 6 core I5 and decent motherboard and a case would run under 500 and then you could plop in an 8gb ram stick and a 2tb drive for around another 150ish. Then you could use whatever vidcard you want which of course wildly varies in price depending on what you want. But the good thing is you have more flexibility for upgrading - you can add more ram whenever, 2nd hdd/ssd and even hold off on a vidcard for a bit and use whatever integrated Intel nonsense that comes with it until then.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sigh. i was only looking at those so i can put it on the shelf. There is actually a intel console size kit but you have to put some missing parts. But that is kinda expensive.
    Im thinking to spend less cause i own a car. I should really invest in a bus pass.
    SOmeone mind helping me find a small facture case that fits a small motherboard and maybe a small size gpu.
    Anyways that integrated gpu that the steam machine has is actually a better then a integrated gpu for it's generation on a regular board. Well so I think. im not going to put actual games on it. maybe the arcade tittles from steam but those are not really demanding. will it even have enough power for a 4770?
    I should just put some money into it a bit. just imagine how many raspberry pi's id go throu to get my wants over the years to come. This will be a keeper cause the games ill put on it will never change.
    Last edited by jinx5; 23rd-July-2018 at 00:00.
    MiSTer FPGA
    n64 everdrive 2.0,sd2snes, everdrive n8, everdrive gb x7, megaeverdrive, gba m3light, ezflash omega, ds evolution, Pseudo Saturn, R4I gold 2018

Thanks
    EP Points

I found this on steam site i googled. there are different years thou i don't know what this one is. Just guessing there basically as good as the middle range the year before.
    Alienware:
    Unfortunately, the current model is soldered to the board. The card uses the same chipset as the 860m, but has been modified.

It benchmarks at roughly the same marks as a GTX 750 TI.
    Last edited by jinx5; 23rd-July-2018 at 19:37.
    MiSTer FPGA

Thanks
    EP Points

I also saw one a alpha with a 960 in it. Still laptop integrated cpu prob. IDK. maybe I should just pay a bit more and get that. The question still stands if it's safe to put a better cpu in there. I saw they use the T cpu's. So putting a i7 in there, will it fit, will it have enough power?
    Last edited by jinx5; 24th-July-2018 at 02:04.
    MiSTer FPGA