Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrupt Iso?

Thanks

Exclamation Corrupt Iso?

So I downloaded the iso's for Metal Gear Solid 3: subsistence and Metal Gear Solid 2: substance multiple times both http and ftp, and whenever I tried to extract them using the latest version of 7zip, it always comes up with messages saying: "there are some data after the end of the payload data" and "Data Error: Metal Gear Solid 3 - Substance (USA).iso, I also tried extracting using winzip, which said the file was corrupt

Like some other posts about similar issues like this, I'm not sure if the problem is me, the link, or something else entirely. Despite the other iso's not extracting, I downloaded the files for Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 and that extracted fine, so perhaps it is the links? Again I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I am using Google Chrome and the latest version 7zip

Thanks
    EP Points

You'll have to specific about exactly what download you used because there are about eight different PS2 MGS2 Substance and twice that number of MGS3 regional/version downloads plus PC, Xbox, XB360, PS3 and handheld console variations too.

That message is typical of 7Zip if the file is corrupted but you also get similar messages if it is a multi-zipped archive and you've just tried to open one zipped folder on its own. If it is a multi-part (7)zipped/RARed archive all parts must be in the same folder when you unpack it.

Thanks

Thanks
    EP Points

I'll try downloading them myself to test both but on my BB speeds don't expect a reply anytime soon - 7+GB will take 5-6 hours for me.

Thanks
    EP Points

Just finished the MGS3 Subsistence download, unpacked the ISO file with 7Zip indeed it does report the same error message as you described.

However I did a bit of research there are regular reports of this over the years with 7Zip. The suggestion is that it is some extra data written at the end by another program that was used to 7Zip the download. In other words the 7Zip file was not created by 7Zip but by perhaps WinRAR, which a couple of posts suggested as the culprit. The size of the file contents ie. when it is over 4GiBs it was also suggested maybe to blame.

All speculation though - no substance.

Firstly: in my researches nobody has said anything about whether this error message is a problem or not. With 7Zip the MGS3 ISO seems to extract fine. I can't test it myself but it may well be this is just a minor reporting issue and does not actually affect the ISO.

Secondly: I don't have WinZIP but I, of course, also tried unpacking it with another program. My goto is the portable version of PeaZip and when I used that............no error message at all. The ISO unpacked without incident.

The MGS2 Substance download has just finished and has given me exactly the same result. 7Zip itself gives the error message and PeaZip unpacks it perfectly.

I've checked the size of the ISOs unpcked by7Zip and PeaZIP and they also match exactly (6,436,749,312 bytes MGS2 and 4,674,617,344 bytes MGS3).

What I noticed is that PeaZIP actually contains a licensed 7Zip .exe (16.4.0.0) which is more up to date than the 7Zip version I'm using. I'm wondering if that might be the case with you.

7Zip has no built in updater or links to the latest update directly although there are links to its web site. So I would not be at all surprised because of this if many people are unknowingly using very old versions which maybe have this unpacking error report problem or whatever it is.

The current version of 7Zip is v18.05 or something like that so I'm wondering if you simply tried updating 7Zip maybe the error message would not appear.
    Last edited by TheAbysmalDark; 9th-July-2018 at 22:13.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've gotten the "extra data payload" error multiple times for PS2 games and each one loaded in pcsx2 just fine. So for that one I would just go ahead and try it.

Thanks

i have tried both of them and even though they extract (I am using the latest version of 7zip), when i load them with pcsx2 they do not work, they don't even load the game. I tried extracting with winzip and it doesn't even extract.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks for the info.

That would suggest it is just a reporting error which is causing 7Zip to stall at the unpacking 'finalisation' but the core ISO is unpacked correctly.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well I went ahead and downloaded MGS2 from that link and decompressed with winrar of all things and then loaded in pcsx2 and it was fine. I haven't bothered with 3 yet. Only thing I did different was using winrar.

Thanks

Hmm, then I guess there must be something wrong on my end?

Thanks
    EP Points

I dunno I'm at a loss. The iso works though. Maybe redownload?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Heffley View Post
    i have tried both of them and even though they extract (I am using the latest version of 7zip), when i load them with pcsx2 they do not work, they don't even load the game. I tried extracting with winzip and it doesn't even extract.
    Have you tried using PeaZip like I suggested?

No need to use an install version just use that ^ portable one which is what I used. As said it unpacks both games without any sort of error message.

If it still doesn't work for you then I doubt it is an unpacking problem.

Thanks

I tried using peazip and it didn't work, I also tried downloading the iso with a download manager and that didn't seem work either. I have no idea what else to try

Thanks
    EP Points

Can you post a screenshot of what you end up with after extracting?

Only other thing I can think of is to run pcsx2 as Administrator.

Thanks
    EP Points

'Greg' should just have ended up with an ISO for both games. Not having used PCSX2 I really do not know much about it except what I've read. PeaZip should have unpacked the ISOs for the two games correctly - I can not think what could have gone wrong with that. Even 7Zip with the error message still unpacked the ISOs.

However the thing that I noticed in the tutorial on PCSX2 I found is that the ISO must be ISO, BIN, IMG, MDF, or NRG. I simply assumed what I unpacked in my testing was an ordinary ISO. I use ImgBurn and as a result all ISO disc images display with the same icon. I did not actually check the file extension.

I can't check that now as I've deleted the download and ISOs but have a feeling if 'Greg' does that he might find it is either UIF, DAA, CDI, XBX, B51, BWI (my guess would be CDI). If that is correct and 'Greg' is trying to burn it to disc or mount it in a virtual drive (if that is possible with PCSX2) the disc image format may be the cause of the problem.