Thread: Link to the Past Four Swords corrupted save file issue

Thanks

Unhappy Link to the Past Four Swords corrupted save file issue

I am having trouble with both Zelda: ALttP-Four Swords GBA ROMS. They start up just fine, however when you get to the files, it says that each save file is corrupted, and it won't allow me to create one. If anyone has a solution that would work (at least for the VBA-M emulator), it would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by ShawnF6FHellcat; 16th-June-2018 at 07:52.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

If you're using save states that can mess everything up.

BTW this isn't a main site download issue, you've got an emulation problem. Thread moved.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    If you're using save states that can mess everything up.

BTW this isn't a main site download issue, you've got an emulation problem. Thread moved.
    This has nothing to do with save states. I open the file on VBA-M, then I press start, then I press A on English, then it cycles through all three save files saying that each one is corrupted. Also, upon further reading, I have found that this is a universal problem across all GBA emulators, not just VBA-M. Those of whom I read, said that they also used both links from Emuparadise, and that both did the same thing. If I need a BIOS for it to work, please let me know; other than that, I have no clue how to fix this.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Ok so you haven't been using save states, but what you describe (corrupted save files and you can't create a save) can be the result of using save states.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Ok so you haven't been using save states, but what you describe (corrupted save files and you can't create a save) can be the result of using save states.
    The only time I used save states was when I played Zelda II, which was the only ROM I had at the time. As of now, there are two other ROMs that I have and use: Pokemon Crystal, and Zelda Minish Cap. Both of these however, have only used battery saves. Still, I haven't been able to find anyone who's been able to play Zelda Four Swords on a GBA emulator; and as previously stated, they all have hit the same roadblock: corrupted save file upon initialization.
    I did find ways to fix the same issue with a certain Pokemon ROM, but I don't think that it'll work for Zelda Four Swords.
    If you have any ideas or suggestions, I'd appreciate it, since it would leave me better off than where I'm at currently.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    EP Points

It's definitely the way the game itself saves it due to some weird file size restriction thing. I don't know if this has ever been truly fixed however you can try setting the various file size saves in the options for vba or even to auto and check that out. Sorry it's been awhile since I've messed with this but it's worth a shot (this is what you have to do for certain Pokemon games too iirc)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    It's definitely the way the game itself saves it due to some weird file size restriction thing. I don't know if this has ever been truly fixed however you can try setting the various file size saves in the options for vba or even to auto and check that out. Sorry it's been awhile since I've messed with this but it's worth a shot (this is what you have to do for certain Pokemon games too iirc)
    Thanks for that; I'll try it immediately.

Thank you so much. It finally worked. Well, to the two of you: Have a nice day!
    Last edited by deadlegion; 22nd-June-2018 at 21:50. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

You may want to periodically make a backup of the save file too whenever you're done playing for the day just in case, it may be a little more work but it may be worth it