Thread: homebrew without SD card?

Thanks

Default homebrew without SD card?

Hi, complete newbie here and may well be utterly out of my depth on this forum...

I don't have an SD card but have managed to install homebrew on my wii via the internet channel as per a link I found via google.

What would I have to do now to be able to play some backup discs I've been given? Can I again do it via internet or a USB stick/ external hard drive rather than buy an SD card?

thank you - and I'm really new to this so apologies if I sound dense!

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

You don't need an SD card. You will need either an external HDD or USB stick.

Thanks

Thanks- what do I do next though? I’ve got homebrew channel on the wii but no apps. Which app do I need to play a backup disc? Sorry if this is basic stuff. I’ve spent hours on google and am still none the wiser what I do if I have the channel, but no disc loader.

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Download USBLoaderGX. Link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/usbloadergx/ Make sure you get the Wii version if you're using a Wii, the vWii is for the Wii U.

Extract it to the root of your HDD or USB. It should look like HDD/apps/usbloader_gx. You can now browse through your Homebrew channel to start USBLoaderGX.

To copy Wii games to your HDD/USB, download WiiBackupManager. This allows you to copy your ISO to your HDD/USB.

It also depends on your Wii if it will play backups from disc. Usually the old white versions will, the black or coloured version wont. They should all play from HDD/USB though. It's better to play from HDD as the games run better than they do from backup discs.

This is only a very basic way of doing it, you can add forwarder channels to start your USB loader, but best to start with the basics.
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 13th-April-2018 at 20:50.

Thanks

Thanks so much for your help. I’ve now managed to install homebrew browser and the USBloader, but it won’t play the backup discs I’ve been given. It’s a white wii from about 2009 so I’m not sure if that means it can’t play backup discs at all?

Where is a good source of games?
    Or is there a way of transferring my existing backup discs onto a HDD?

Thanks so much for your help so far and apologies for all the questions!

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

There's a disc loader called NeoGamma for playing backup discs.

I think USBLoaderGX can play them as well, not sure. Try by starting USBLoaderGX, then insert your disc, you should get a pop up offering to install the disc. If not, try ripping the discs to a PC using a program like ImgBurn. Next on your PC, use WiiBackupManager to transfer to your Wii HDD.

https://youtu.be/D66pyQLQCmg?t=682

You can get Wii games from this forum in the uploads section.

https://www.epforums.org/forumdisplay.php?147-Wii-Links

Thanks

Thanks so much for your help! I managed to get it working by installing cIOS and can now play the discs. I don’t really understand any of this, so thanks very much for your help

Thanks
    EP Points

Also, if you use a DVD+R disc, make sure you set the Bookmark type to DVD-ROM, because the Wii can't read discs with a bookmark of DVD+R.
    Any other disc you use should work.
    Note to everyone who wants to contact me:
    This account has been abandonned as of February 1st of 2020. Because I cannot share any links to other social media in this signature, I recommend you to Google my username, and some of the top results may help you out. (or search for my GBAtemp signature, which should be helpful enough)

Do not try to send any DMs to me via the EPForums, because I've disabled them.

Also, to any of the mods on this site, do not delete this account.

Regards,
    Trash_Bandatcoot