Thread: Wii Firmware Versions

Thanks

Default Wii Firmware Versions

Hi all,

I got a Wii that has firmware 3.4U, and I want to softmod it.
    Is there any reason not to upgrade it to the very latest firmware? 4.3U iOS62?

Just wanna check that before I commit to an upgrade...

Cheers...

Anyone?
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 12th-April-2018 at 23:57. Reason: no bumping, please

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I need to double check as don't remember off the top of my head but was sure that it made no difference what firmware you are on as long as there is an exploit for it, you are better off just not updating manually anyway, that will in no way stop any games from running as when you go for CFW you have the option of updating/adding game specific and hardware specific IOS's

even on older firmware you can update all the IOS's and still be on the firmware you started on so really no issues there

There are two easy options that I will recommend (off the top of my head here so can't remember everything mind) you use instead of any guides as guides can be out of date or missing an important step or a step can be missed and mess up the entire system

the easy options though are more automated and will download all the required files for your own personal system

One of the easy ways is modmii the other one I forget what it was called though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 15th-April-2018 at 07:48.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks for your reply Zorlon, I decided to update anyway. That was for my standard Wii.

While we're on the subject, if I updated my Wii with a Wode hardware mod, do you know if that would break any wode functionality?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't know enough about the hardware but I know Wode really is not needed today at all but will save a little extra software modding and save the need to format a HDD in a certain way though

If it works though, there is no real reason update is there? but from what I have read Wode works just fine on 4.3 Wii Firmware

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Yes wode works fine on last wii firmware. But iirc if you load any wii disc images via wode on 4.3 they need to be the same region as your console.
    I seem to recall region patching on early wode firmware for early wii firmware and games, but that was lost later on with updates needed for later games.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Yes wode works fine on last wii firmware. But iirc if you load any wii disc images via wode on 4.3 they need to be the same region as your console.
    I seem to recall region patching on early wode firmware for early wii firmware and games, but that was lost later on with updates needed for later games.
    Hmmm... interesting... I wonder if that's why some games wouldn't load (on the wode modded wii).

Right now, the wife and I are using a Wii I recently bought on e-bay. I soft-modded it, and it seems to be working very well so far. Sometimes I noticed that the usb loader would get stuck on "Loading game..." I'm not sure what's causing that. When that happens, you need to do a hard reset, then it's a hit or miss to get the game loaded.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

USB port should be the one closest to the edge (Lowest USB port if the Wii is flat)
    Could be a badly formatted HDD (USB Sticks have there own issues) [I might of said it was HDD read speed but normally if it's a HDD initiation issue it would not even list the games]
    Best format for a soft mod is Fat32 with 32 cluster size (3rd party format tool required, modmii comes with a tool to do this though that is not what I used) [This is more for GC play though not Wii games]

If you are using a USB stick there is a fix though not used it myself but can help for certain games that mess up (would need to dig up the exacts for that, don't have the time now about to head out to work )

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

My USB stick problem was just about some games having stutters but I don't remember it exactly so try to inform yourself more on what I'm about to say to you as I don't want you to brick your Wii because of mii

This is what I posted last on another forum:

Ok just wanted to let you guys know that this one solved all my problems: d2x-v10-beta53-alt
    Google this for more info about this cIOS thing: "cIOSX rev21d2x: Yet Another Hot Fix!!!!"

My Wii never gave me problems after that! Also in here Zorlon acted as a guinea pig and it proves there is no danger in installing this cIOS hahahaha THANKS ZORLON!
    Last edited by Bruno; 25th-April-2018 at 14:18.
    "Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within
    the heart of mankind." - Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)