Thread: Best Final Fantasy to start on?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Best Final Fantasy to start on?

So, as a fan of RPG games I thought I should play some Final Fantasy games, as I have never actually beaten any. Thing is, I don't know which one to start with, since there are so many choices. In the past I've started playing IV and VI, but I didn't get too far in neither of them. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    EP Points

Kinda hard to say. None of the games really tie into each other unless it's the second (or third part) for a couple like FFX and XIII. Really depends on how far back a system you're willing to go. FFVI (I think V too actually) have pc releases ported over from ios which look a little better and, at least I think so - a better interface too.

If you're looking to go a little more modern I would say start with FFX HD (It's pretty easy barring the conclusion to a couple of sidequests) and then go on to XII (they just released an HD version too!!!) XI is online only. And so on.

If you want to go back a little farther I would say start with the mentioned VI or VII on the psx and work your way from there. And if you like PSX era also check out FF Tactics.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaladane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I would say that either the original or 3 (especially the DS rerelease) would be a great starting point - but if you're only interested in the story-driven Final Fantasy games, 8. As Zaladane said, very few of the games tie into each other, except in references. The thing is though, I would actively avoid 12 as a starting point because without playing Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Advance, and Tactics A2, 12 doesn't actually make as much sense storywise (and of course there's also 12: Revenant Wings to consider). That's my 2 cents. 1, 3, 8. And then play 6 as soon as you can.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LogicalElf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

If you dont mind the graphics, i would personally start with 4 then just move on upward through them
    Spoiler warning:

"Who are you!? How did you get in here!?"
    "I'm a Locksmith and i'm a locksmith.."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Crash-Headroom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

My favorite is FFIX. When you first start it can be a little annoying because the ATB guage goes pretty slow, but it will speed up as your progress a bit. The graphics, music, characters, and story are all good. If you want to start on SNES, I would start with 4 or 5. 4 has better story, 5 has better battles because of the job system.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to opiumized For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you have a PSP (or emulate it/have custom firmware), you could try the remake of the very first game. If you have a GBA (or emulate it) you could try Dawn of Souls, which is the first two games remade.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Aeolus Aeneas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I would say start at the beginning. FF1 was a fantastic game for its time and the job system has held up very well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SurrealKiller For This Useful Post: