Thread: Accidentally changed all my .ISOs to winRAR archives

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Accidentally changed all my .ISOs to winRAR archives

So I uninstalled an old version of winRAR and then downloaded a newer version and accidentally checked the options where it was compatible with ISOs (I had thought that helps with extracting) and it would actually change them into winRAR archives (if I double clicked on any I would be able to see the actual folders and stuff that went into making the game)

I was able to get them back into a disc image format instead of as a winRAR archive by setting it to open with Windows Explorer, and when I double click them outside of using an emulator, games that I use for PCSX2 will actually mount and I could “eject” it (the .iso still stays in the folder), and games I use for dolphin would say disc image corrupted.

I think this is normal (because the dolphin games still run) I just wanted to see if this happens for anyone else if they’ve ever double clicked on an iso and a lesson to never set winRAR to be compatible with ISOs. I hope nothing broke but every game seems to be running fine.

What all of the ISOs turned into until I fixed it:
    https://gyazo.com/71d0cf56e7ab545eed77c81768d8b8a7

Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Fiddling with file associations won't break anything, Winrar (or whatever) would need to be actively saving changes to the files it has no business handling. Virtually no Windows programs do that, they all ask you to confirm saving any changes. So if you wanted to you could do pointless things, like looking at an iso with a text editor or whatever. (Don't do that, text editors tend to freak out when you open several GB of data in them.)
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here