Thread: Usiing PSX files from this site on PS2

Thanks

Default Usiing PSX files from this site on PS2

Hi. Kinda new to all of this. I understand the basics of burning an iso for PS2. I've done that using Imageburn with no problems. I'm less certain what to do if I want to burn a PSX file and play it on PS2. I assume that can be done since the PS2 is backwards compatible?

When I download a file from this site and unzip it, I have a .bin and .cue file. I'm under the impression I don't need to create an iso image from here, but not sure about that. How do I get the .cue and ,bin files onto a disc and what kind of disc do I use (cd or dvd?).

Also, I'm softmodding right now w/ Free McBoot. I'll probably go back to a modchip, but not until the PS2 console wears out. I have to patch ISO files with the ESR patcher before they can be burnt to a DVD. Do I have to do something similar with PS1 files?

Thanks. I'm sure this has been asked before. If there's a guide or tutorial on the sight, I'd appreciate if someone would link me to it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

ESR patching only works on PS2 DVD type images.
    You can convert some PS2 CD type games (bin/cue) to DVD and then ESR patch.
    PSX games cannot be converted to PS2 DVD type.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Does that mean that a PS2 console cannot play PSX backups? I kind of assumed there was a way to make that work since the PS2 can play store-bought PSX discs (which are cd-based, not DVDs).

Sorry for the basic questions. I'm very new to all of this.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Yeah there probably is a way to play PSX backups but I never had to bother about it myself.
    CD backups you probably need a modchip or possibly a swap trick might work for some games idk

But besides those if you have fat PS2 with HDD there might be some loader options.

As I said I wouldn't know myself...I've always had at least one PSX console with modchip. Although recently I've been playing PSX backups (bin/cue) on PS3 with CFW.

Spoiler warning: