Thread: drive letter switch

Shadowrider Guest

Default drive letter switch

just installed win2k pro, and i have 2 partitions. C is for windows file, and D is for backup files. but win2k made it such that C is now the backup file and D is the windows file.
    is there anyway i can manually switch this back?

Thanks

Disk Management consule. The easiest way would be to make them Dynamic and then you can call them anything you want.

Thanks

Or you can use third party program like Partition Magic Pro to change drive letters.

They are hot, aren't they??

Shadowrider Guest

thx guys.
    i'll give it a shot

Shadowrider Guest

actually..lord riff raff, i'm not sure what you meant by "making it dynamic"

Thanks

Theres an option to make any disk in the disk management consule "dynamic" you'll hear you drive kind of grind for a while and you'll be able to increase decrease it's size as easily as any folder. It'll convert your drive to a "volume" instead of a drive. Lets you also do some cool stuff with RAID as well.

Shadowrider Guest

yea i saw that option "convert to dynamic disk".
    but you can also go to each disk (specifically the disk whose's drive letter you want to change), then there's an option "change drive letter and path".
    would it be okay this way instead? like would it be save?

Thanks

Both ways should be safe, BUT if you convert to dynamic then I'm not sure if pre 2k can read the disks.

I myself unless you have 4+ drives would stick with change drive letter and path.

Thanks
    EP Points

u can go into "system propeties" then "disk drives" and on the settings tab u can change it on ther i think, not sure if its the same thing but

Shadowrider Guest

Originally posted by God Of Thunder
    u can go into "system propeties" then "disk drives" and on the settings tab u can change it on ther i think, not sure if its the same thing but
    actually lots of problem came up before i even got to tried this, had to format whole hd, and re-partitioned everything.
    all of the sudden, couldn't reboot into windows,and fdisk says that there are no primary partitions exist (which supposed to be c:/). so what i suspected to happen was that somehow the windows file think it was d:/ (which was the logical drive), and c:/ was gone. geez...

thx anyway