Thread: Starting the Raspberry Pi project

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Starting the Raspberry Pi project

While it's fun to download EMUs and ROMs I went through a lot of crap that it's tiring to sort em out. Also it's restricted to my PC. I've thought of buying a console with built in games to hook to my TV but the only good stuff are $200 and more.

Looking at the cheap ones the reviews are mixed and not too favorable. The problem I have are the proprietary controllers, they'd be hard to replace. I prefer the USB models and I have a few already. Also some are AV hookups which wouldn't be too bad but I have HDMI on my 32" TV.

I looked around and found Raspberry Pi. I've known about it for a long time but didn't really paid attention to it but when I heard about Retropie I got interested. I got on Amazon and found very good reviews and lots of support.

I decided to go for it. For just over $100 I'll have everything I need to start gaming and that includes an SD card loaded with Retropie and over 5000 roms for 12 consoles. All sorted with no hacks, cracks and trash. The author said that all is on the net but if you don't like the headache (which I'm having) of sorting I did it all for $35 on a 16gig microSD card.

Hell yeah I'll go for it. By the way, the case will look like a Nintendo and it will have a fan in it. Also some assembly is required.

Thanks
    EP Points

Good thing. I am also about to buy a Raspberry Pi 3 with a 64 gb SD card with almost all emulators and roms installed. Then I'll learn how to do it by myself. And hook it up to an old tube tv with a RCA cable.

SAMP Player | Half Life Player | Super Mario World 2 Fan

Thanks
    EP Points

Tell me about that SD card.

OK, made some changes. Changed the box to the model that can accommodate the heatsink/fan assembly on the Pi that I added to the order. It still look like a mini Nintendo. Also changed from a Raspberry Pi/adapter combo to separate Raspberry Pi and a better adapter. It's a recommendation from a user that said that a 3A model solved some problems with the PI that a 2.5A model caused.

It increased the bill a little but seems that I got the cream of the crop put together.

All ordered now

Ok, my Raspberry Pi came in but it came in a paper bag (in a box) instead of a static bag. It's from Element14 and I just joined their website for more information. Gotta wait for the rest.

Ok, they came in and I put it together. Since I don't have the Retropie card yet I downloaded the NOOBE with Raspbian OS and installed it on my 32 gig microSD card. Got out the extra keyboard and mouse and hooked up to my monitor with an HDMI cable.

Wow, run like a champ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zONm...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Old Frog; 23rd-February-2018 at 04:14. Reason: please, don't double post, use the EDIT POST button.