Thread: What cd's are best for backup ps1 games?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default What cd's are best for backup ps1 games?

I read a forum I googled saying the Taiyo Yuden/JVC cd-r are the best one's to get. Wonder if the dvd-r the same brand are just as good for burning games. But im confused A poster on a forum when looking for good cd's say that CNC are the worse cd's but another poster linked to CNC Taiyo Yuden. Pretty much said that Verb AZO, Taiyo Yunden and JVC are the one's to get for the best results.
    THe guy I got the chipped psone said that any branded cd's should be good.
    I just bought a MM3 psone with scart luma cables. Hope it's good. I did a bit of googling and searched a bit and the chip I got is a stealth chip which I need, and I may need to patch some of the games I have. Seems ok to me. Maybe.
    I bought policnont and riped it, patched it. Works in the emulator. Just for this.
    I think im over thinking this. I plan on getting a hole bunch of cd's and don't want to buy that many and find out there no good and want it to last the longest.
    I had verb dvd not work propally before with soft modded ps2, I don't know if it was the capability, the patch or the dvd-r, I really doubt it was the cd drive since I tried 2 different writers with the same disks in the spindle.(it was the newer twisted metal game intro lagging and video's lagging but the game played fine.)
    I found this usfull site. wondering if there correct.
    http://consolecopyworld.com/psx/psx_cdr_media.shtml
    There saying CDRwin is a good program for burning ps1 games(I have the latest version). Or is IMGburn good enough.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Brand plays very little part in it

CD's and DVD's depends on where they are produced

Most brands are produced in many different places and have a range of quality from poor to high and you can't tell from packaging either

-R vs +R asides from older fat PS2's that got made before +R was a thing (though you can change the book type from+R to DVD-Rom that allows those to work in a fat PS2 anyway), +R DVD's are best to use that have a higher high quality than -R media but even those can have low quality media just not as bad as -R's low end

For a Dual Layer games it is usually best to RIP those to DVD5 size discs because most PS2 systems will struggle to read the second layer of a burned disc, unless you got lucky

IMGburn is perfect for all your burning needs most of it is pre setup by default to handle all your console burning needs, CDRwin was great in the day but many programs have gone way past that now, there is also a clone program around also that is 3rd party though is still called CDRwin as it is not compatible with Windows Vista or higher but the rip off of it is

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Taiyo Yuden are more difficult to find now iirc.
    Yes CMC is traditionally mostly bad stuff, Moser Baer is another manufacturer to avoid.
    Such bad media may work fine in PC drives & stand alone CD/DVD/BD players but you'll have issues with game consoles.

I dunno what you should go for with CD-R media right now tbh, I haven't had to buy any for quite some time

But for DVD I mostly still use Ritek manufactured discs. They're cheap but work fine for me. Then again I haven't had to buy any DVD media for some time either as I still have some unused.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Alright thinking in ordering them tonight. if you were to get any of these which one would you pick. money isn't a issue. THinking in getting one of those 300 disk binder's since getting sick going throu the paper sleeves.

sony (only cause there cheeper)
    https://www.amazon.ca/Sony-100CDQ80S...rds=CD-r+100pk

JVC Taiyo Yuden
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...IIQCD6S2&psc=1

Verbatim DataLifePlus (I think this is the top one in that site)
    https://www.amazon.ca/Verbatim-DataL...aLifePlus+cd-r

Verbatim AZO x2
    https://www.amazon.ca/AZO-CD-R-52X-7...70_&dpSrc=srch

Thanks

I've had no issues with TDK, Verbatim, Memorex or any other brand for that matter. Not one bad burn. I think it depends mostly on the drive you're using - I'd recommend using an external one if possible as internal ones tend to be made as cheaply as possible, at least these days, and have additional vibrations to compete with. As for burn speed, I've noticed no difference, but if you're not in a hurry then slower is usually wiser.

Thanks
    EP Points

help me pick one. I don't want to decide by myself.
    I have a samsung external blue ray writer and a internal dvd PIONEER burner.
    Last edited by jinx5; 18th-February-2018 at 18:38.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

If those JVC Taiyo Yuden on amazon are legit and price doesn't bother you just get those.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

I ordered them but I am kinda mad that they can't deliver to the post office cause it says that it has some sort of warranty. Really it's blank cd's. My other orders went throu ok.
    Last edited by jinx5; 19th-February-2018 at 17:43.

Thanks

All right, get ready because this is going to be a long post. The best quality media for PS1 backups in EUROPE, no idea what is the situation outside of it, are Verbatim CD-R Pastel Disc and Verbatim DataLifePlus SUPER-AZO Crystal. The first kind is almost impossible to find, I was lucky enough to find new old stock from a local online selling page and I got them super cheap, never saw the same kinds of discs again. Even if they are called Verbatim, analyzing the CD-R with CDR Identifier they were manufactured in Japan by Taiyo Yuden Co., Ltd. before 2004. The second type or DataLifePlus SUPER-AZO Crystal are also manufactured before 2004 and are also almost impossible to find. I was again lucky to find them from the same page, but I paid 15 euros plus shipping for another new old stock, which I would have preferred to get cheap, but this dude knew what he had in his hands sadly. Anyhow analyzing the second batch of CDs with the same program the result was that they were made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation in Japan. All the other media that is on the market these days is pure garbage. It seems that after 2004 the Japanese companies that used to manufacture quality CD-R have sold the rights to India and China, meaning that you gonna end up buying junk media no matter the brand. The only hope you have to get such CD-Rs is to do as I did. Check everyday local selling pages and whatnot, you might be able to stumble upon some. Besides people these days tend to sell them for dirt cheap. Anyway to backup my claim regarding the CD-R quality, everything started years ago, when I wanted to make a backup copy of Tombi!. Doing some research online, I understood what needed to be done to achieve the perfect backup copy. Since I was not able to find the right CD-R writer and the right Media,I tried countless brands, all made before 2004, modern Verbatims, Sonys, JVCs, Maxells, Princos, Taiyo Yuden and more, all were pure garbage that costed me a fortune sadly and gave me terrible results when it came down to PS1 backups. Then one day, from the same online selling page I talked before, I got myself and old CD-R Writer, HP 9300 series, which can write at 1X speed. I burned the game with CloneCD and the junk media I had available at the time, and no matter what, the game Intro was always screwed up and laggy. Until I managed to get the DataLifePlus SUPER-AZO Crystal. With them I made another copy following the exact same method, same software, writing speed and image, and once I tried the new copy on my PS1, the problems with the Intro were gone, like if they were never there to begin with. Some time later I got hold of the Verbatim Pastel Disc and they seem to also work flawlessly, cannot tell much difference tho between the two, they both work like a charm on my PS1. If I was you I would avoid to purchase any CD-R from places such as Ebay or Amazon, or any other global selling webpage. Do not make the same mistake I've done in the past and save your hard earned money. Besides, the media they sell is garbage manufactured in China and India which is not worth what they are asking for. If you want to buy the best you must search deeply thru local selling pages, facebook groups, second hand shops and stuff like that. If you want more info regarding CD-R and DVDs and what to get this is the place for you http://cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd.shtml
    Last edited by Cr.Mark; 20th-February-2018 at 17:13.

Thanks
    EP Points

I used CDR win burnt mvc and put it in ps1 and it just stays on the ps1 logo. Googleing told me that that program is best for ps1 game so i got it. burnt another with imgburn works. now I tried burning Castlvania SON with imgburn and got a error wile burning but burnt the remainder of the disk it seems to work fine in the ps1. Is this normal or will I have issues wile playing the game? It had tracks and did that demon tools with imgburn to get it to burn on a disk. Is there settings I need to use for cdrwin? Im surprised someone didn't make a program to burn ps1 and other games without issue with tracks.

Thanks

They actually did, it is called Clone CD.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by jinx5 View Post
    I used CDR win burnt mvc and put it in ps1 and it just stays on the ps1 logo. Googleing told me that that program is best for ps1 game so i got it. burnt another with imgburn works. now I tried burning Castlvania SON with imgburn and got a error wile burning but burnt the remainder of the disk it seems to work fine in the ps1. Is this normal or will I have issues wile playing the game? It had tracks and did that demon tools with imgburn to get it to burn on a disk. Is there settings I need to use for cdrwin? Im surprised someone didn't make a program to burn ps1 and other games without issue with tracks.
    May of been a bad RIP of the game, depends what the error was but I would assume the error is to do with the image rather than the CD-R used

P.S. Best version of that game comes as an unlockable bonus for the PSP game Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, this could be played on a hacked PSP, Vita, PSTV (Playstation TV) or PS3 personally I would go for PSTV for that (it's a Vita for your TV if you are wondering and can use PS3/PS4 pads or even a USB pad)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR