Thread: Desume and Super Mario 64 DS

Thanks

Default Desume and Super Mario 64 DS

Hi, I am a rookie to emulation, I do not have a lot of knowledge as some others, and I was wondering if someone could give me some insight. So I downloaded a ROM of Super Mario 64 DS from another website (theiszone), due to emuparadise not having it and I downloaded it. The game was working fine the first two days I played it. I should have used some save states, but instead used the games save feature and it saved my game and for the first couple of times I used it. However, after I beat Bowser and got a few stars one level, I saved it, in the file and the next day, my save files were deleted. I assume this was due to the game realized that it was emulated, and not played on a legit cartridge. It still doesn't save correctly, however, I can get around this issue by using save states. However, I tried searching the internet to see if I can find the anti-piracy tricks the coders programmed into the game, but I couldn't find much. So I do not get super far into the game and figure out I cannot beat it in this state or something, are there any other anti-piracy quirks I should worry about? Thank you so much for your help.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yo HufflePuff,

First of all welcome to the forum and the emulator scene.

From my experience I have never seen a DS ROM have programmed piracy lock features since it is basically a copy of the original game made to run on other hardware.

I take it you are running Desume on your Windows PC.

Well in my experience I have also had saved games disappear on me, this is usually after a virus scan, or a file purge or a windows update which sometimes gets rid of foreign files such as any files the emulator might create when games are played.

So what I do is just use both actually I'll save the game (in game) and on the savestate. Just the other day my copy of Pokemon Black deleted my in game save because I used a cheat code! but save state still worked so I am able to carry on. (phew!)

Otherwise just get the same game from another website like romsmania.com or loveroms.com

Also I noted you are playing a DS game. Well there is also a emulator called Drastic that will let you play this game on a phone or tablet so you can play it in a handheld way.

hope this helps.
    JEROME
    BLOGGER

3. The Following User Says Thank You to emulatorlowndown For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you so much for the information. This helps a lot as someone who has little experience with emulation.

Actually, when emulating, I use my windows laptop with a touch screen, so I am fine with portability and the touch screen capabilities.