Thread: ps3 wont recognize my 1TB hdd anymore

Thanks
    EP Points

Default ps3 wont recognize my 1TB hdd anymore

hi, here is the thing, I bought an used 1 therabyte hdd for the ps3, as the original 120 gigabytes HDD was too little, I formatted it to fat32 cause I read that format is recognized by the ps3, everything was fine, I had 900 gigabytes of free space and the cfw didnt give any trouble.
    But I remembered I didnt actually test the hard disk, a way I do is to fill it with compressed files as they are very sensitive to errors, I did it it took my like 6 hours to fill the hard disk and test all the files, I did get one error of cyclic redundancy but it was acceptable.
    BUt when I put it back to the ps3, I got the yellow light of death. I thought my ps3 just collapsed. But removing the hdd it booted and gave me the error of no storage device... I went mad why now this HDD doesnt work?
    I put my old 12o gigabytes HDD back and the console is working fine but if I put the 1TB HDD I get the yellow lights. And I actually got an error message formatting the HDD to fat32 that I didnt get the first time I did, I tried reformatting it to NTFS and test it on the ps3 and again the yellow lights, I tried a different software to format it to fat32 that didnt give any error message but the ps3 keeps giving me the yellow lights.
    The 1TB HDD is still operational to read games from the usb though.... but what happened?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Use software on a PC to check the HDD thoroughly. You should be able to isolate any bad sectors etc so they won't get used.
    Is it a 7200rpm drive? I've seen some people claiming some drives can create extra heat and cause ylod.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

I cant tell if its a 7200 rpm drive some brands dont put that information on the label.
    I finished to test the device with Victoria, this 1TB HDD took a little more than 6 hours to test it and didnt give me any errors, didnt fix nor erased any bad sector, according to the program it was ok.
    But I tried this program before with a bad sectors hdd, I tried it many times and sometimes it says the HDD is fine and other times give me like 200 errors which I always choose to erase than trying to recover those sectors and I guess some errors can not be repaired, this hdd (not the 1TB one) freezes when I paste the first 6 gigas of information. So there is the real bad sectors and if I keep filling it and testing the rar files I randomly get the cyclic redundancy error after some minutes of freezing on certain files, separating those damaged files, not erasing them I get a working hdd but Victoria doesnt fix everything otherwise that hdd would be fully operational.
    Last edited by aspinia; 24th-January-2018 at 17:27.