Thread: Updated versions of games? (1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc)

Thanks

Default Updated versions of games? (1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc)

Hello,

I would like to ask what are the differences (if any?) between a 'regular' non-numbered game, and one that has an apparent 'update' to it with a version number following the title like say... Tomb Raider (period, nothing after it) and Tomb Raider 1.1, 1.2, up to 1.6.

That's just an example (the Tomb Raider example above comes from the PlayStation 1 versions of the first Tomb Raider's ISOs we can download from the list of PS1 games over at Emu Paradise).

I've always wondered if it was "best" to download those apparently-updated versions for possible bug fixes maybe? However, what I'm wondering the most about is whether actually-updated versions of those games ever existed retail back in the days when they were released? I mean, Tomb Raider for example, was the first game re-released months later with updated versions? And if it was the case how would people know back then?

Or, are those versions related to Emulation instead rather than related to updates made to the games by either the developers or maybe even "community" patches?

I'm just a bit confused here and would basically want to know which version should I get whenever I'm confronted by the possibility of getting "different" or updated versions of a game?

Sorry, many questions, I'm a bit new to emulation actually and just started getting into it with my PlayStation.

Thanks for your time guys (and great site, great forums!).
    Last edited by Kurrad; 23rd-January-2018 at 01:03.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Sometimes the recent revisions are simply bug fixes but there are games that have certain content removed/censored and maybe even just changed for whatever reason.
    It is possible to have a later revision that has bugs/glitches.

GTA games have various changes...
    http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Console_and_PC_Differences

Vice City PS2/Xbox changes...
    https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/561545-...ity/faqs/28209

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Sometimes the recent revisions are simply bug fixes but there are games that have certain content removed/censored and maybe even just changed for whatever reason.
    It is possible to have a later revision that has bugs/glitches.

GTA games have various changes...
    http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Console_and_PC_Differences

Vice City PS2/Xbox changes...
    https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/561545-...ity/faqs/28209
    Thank you for the fast reply!

Alright so, essentially, unless there's a list of actual changes to know what was fixed, or even removed or censored in "updated" versions, then it would be best to just go with the normal non-numbered 'original' release.

Otherwise it's humanly too time consuming to do an entire playthrough of a game's every single versions (when there's more than one) to see what actually changed if it can even be spotted to start with in the gameplay (or sometimes not when it's just fixes in the game code or more subtle changes).

Most of the games I've seen listed with updated versions don't have a list or a changelog or in those cases perhaps it would be better to just stick with the normal version I'd assume.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

If you're really interested in what fixes/changes there are for a game then some googling to look for a list of changes might be worth it.
    Titles from popular franchises in particular there would be a good chance that relevant information will be out there somewhere.

Spoiler warning: