Thread: Issues with backing-up my Wii games

Thanks
    EP Points

Red face Issues with backing-up my Wii games

Hello, I have various issues with backing up my Wii collection. I just tried everything.
    So, all I basicly want are backups from my Wii games, so I can play them with a backup manager, or play them on my PC with Dolphin.
    Software I tried:

Wii DVD Backup (Wanikoko): Anytime says '...Error!' without code or stuff that tells me how to fix it. I also tried other filesystems (Fat32, NTFS and exFAT). Then I tried via my Network, but the download was really large, and after 2 hours my PC gave up, and interuppted the download.

USB Loader GX: God, I hate this. My HDD first wasn't detected, but after I got around that issue, and backed up a game, it softlocked itself.

SD/USB Loader 1.5 (Wanikoko): I first had an issue where it wasn't able to mount my USB, but I had to install a patched version of IOS 36. But then it said there was no formatted WBFS USB, however it did gave me the option to format it. Guess what it said... '...Error!'. I searched EVERYWHERE on the web but nothing worked.
    Status: Works, but haves issues with my USB stick. If you have some solutions, please ask me and I send a log.

CleanRip: Did worked, but it splits up in 'part0.iso' and 'part1.iso'. Also, doesn't allow me to merge the *.iso files together, making the *.iso file unplayable.
    Status: Works, but can't merge *.iso files, unless it can be fixed.

My PC (With programs, like Rawdump): My PC doesn't really like Wii games. Even programs like Wii Backup Manager don't too!

So, has anyone some solutions and fixes for me? Thanks!
    -TheSecondBetterBitLoader

EDIT: 1. I don't really care if the wile extensions will end in *.iso or *.wbfs
    2. My Wii is softmodded, and set to Region-Free, so you don't need to worry about Region stuff.
    Last edited by Trash Bandatcoot; 14th-January-2018 at 13:45.
    Note to everyone who wants to contact me:
    This account has been abandonned as of February 1st of 2020. Because I cannot share any links to other social media in this signature, I recommend you to Google my username, and some of the top results may help you out. (or search for my GBAtemp signature, which should be helpful enough)

Do not try to send any DMs to me via the EPForums, because I've disabled them.

Also, to any of the mods on this site, do not delete this account.

Regards,
    Trash_Bandatcoot

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

I've always used either USB Loader GX, or Configurable USB Loader.

USB Loader GX

https://youtu.be/D66pyQLQCmg?t=692

Configurable USB Loader

https://youtu.be/JKEX2OECZhQ

Thanks
    EP Points

Huh... never heard of that one...
    Ima check that out
    This account has been abandonned as of February 1st of 2020. Because I cannot share any links to other social media in this signature, I recommend you to Google my username, and some of the top results may help you out. (or search for my GBAtemp signature, which should be helpful enough)

Regards,
    Trash_Bandatcoot

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheSecondBetterBitLoader View Post
    CleanRip: Did worked, but it splits up in 'part0.iso' and 'part1.iso'. Also, doesn't allow me to merge the *.iso files together, making the *.iso file unplayable.
    Status: Works, but can't merge *.iso files, unless it can be fixed.
    It should only force split files if you're ripping to a FAT drive. If you're not running a FAT HD, just set the chunk size to the maximum and it won't split anything.

You can rejoin split files over on your PC, the easiest way is just tossing them at HjSplit:
    http://www.hjsplit.org/
    You may need to rename the files from part0.iso/part1.iso to something more like game.iso.001/game.iso.002.

My PC (With programs, like Rawdump): My PC doesn't really like Wii games. Even programs like Wii Backup Manager don't too!
    To read Wii games with your PC you require specific hardware, which basically doesn't exist anymore. Don't bother trying.

Wii Backup Manager is a handy tool. But it's not for ripping your discs, it's just for managing your collection of rips.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

For some reason USB CFG doesn’t detect my USB very well. This might be an issue with USB Port 0. I got myself an USB cable that can make the USB connection better. If it still won’t detect my USB, I will try to merge the files with that software for PC.
    And yes, my device was FAT-Formatted, I should try something else, like NTFS.

Regards,
    Trash_Bandatcoot

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

if you wanted you can ranme part0 and part01 to both have the same name and add 001 to part1 and 002 to part2 instead then use 7-zip to extract and it will join the parts for you

e.g.

rename part0.iso to game.iso.001
    and
    rename part1.iso to game.iso.002

right click on game.iso.001 then use the 7-zip menu to extract here, you should then get a single large file called game.iso (This does exact;ly the same as HJSplit, you can even do that from command line if you wanted to)

I have always used USB Loader GX myself (you will want the latest build rather than the latest stable build) anyway with that you can rip direct to the USB HDD in a playable state

My drive is FAT formatted also and by the way you can have split files with ease with USB Loader GX that rips correctly for you if needed (The best all round format for your HDD is Fat32 with 32KB clusters though that will allow GameCube backups as well as everything else you can think of, Windows does not do this on it's own though so you will need a 3rd party format tool like EaseUS Partition Master - Home Edition (That is a free version) that in itself is amazing Format software and can do all sorts without loosing data including converting a drive or partition from one format to another)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 15th-January-2018 at 08:42.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Are using an external HDD that has a power supply? There are power limitations on Wii USB ports.
    Also some drives (like WD green series) have power saving so I'm wondering if you've been seeing some issues related to that idk what you have there.
    NTFS is best for full iso dumps, I'm assuming softmod is capable of using HDDs formatted that way though.

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Split files work fine with all Formatted HDD's and will be read by the system as if it's a single file, just needs to be done correctly like USB Loader GX does to start with

For Softmod users Fat32 with 32KB clusters is the best all round format to use and everything works fine from that including 9GB games and GC games Emulators even Nand stuff can run from that

It is more of an issue when it's not done correctly

Though if a user finds issues maybe best to have multi partitions instead, you can only have 500 games per partition anyway, so for my drive I have 3 main partitions though for me they are all Fat some may find it makes sense for them to have a NTFS partition for the very few games that came on dual layer DVD (Not many at all came on those though)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 16th-January-2018 at 03:53.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Yeah I was just saying NTFS makes it a bit more straight forward, if the console setup is capable of using it anyway...I mean you just have one partition with less overhead for the file system and all games won't be split, instead of dealing with files split up once they reach the 4GB size. It's all based on the view of having 1:1 copies. Not sure if tha's what the OP wants but thought I'd post anyway.

PS3 with CFW is a similar story (NTFS external), although for native games on that I tend to also rip languages other than English before rebuilding an iso...might not gain much space per game, but with a huge library it can add up to actually be meaningful.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

I gave up my hopes for CFG USB. Now I formatted my USB Stick to NTFS (And no, i'm not using a HDD) And for some reason, my USB got ´corrupted´ on my laptop. Then I went back to my Wii, used WiiXplorer, and it did detected it. I copied the *.iso file to my SD Card, but then it froze at 80.05%. I will try to dump my game again with CleanRip, this time with Fat32.

Regards,
    Trash_Bandatcoot

Thanks
    EP Points

CLEANRIP GAVE UP, AGAIN. ������������������
    I TRY IT AGAIN WITH NTFS.
    Now i’m just getting PISSED. I’ve been WASTING my DAYS with trying to back up A SINGLE GAME.

Regards,
    Trash_Bandatcoot

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

When you get the chance and the cash get yourself a USB HDD instead of a flash stick that can have it's own issues

I have been using a 2TB drive for years now with other a thousand games on it from various systems Wii, GameCube, WiiWare, Virtual Console and a bunch of homebrew software including emulation

Clean RIP is an old outdated homebrew that was made redundant as USB Loaders could do this without it, Clean RIP was just one of the first homebrews to be able to dump games that is all.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

I do have a HDD, but I only use it for backups on my PC. I think I have to buy another one.
    Edit: They are really expensive, and i’m not sure if they are going to work properly. Is it ok to use a HDD that has some files on it?
    If not, i’m trying to back-up my games with my SD Card.
    Last edited by Trash Bandatcoot; 16th-January-2018 at 06:53.

Regards,
    Trash_Bandatcoot

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Is it ok to use a HDD that has some files on it?
    It's fine. Games that play with a USB loader get dumped in a common folder. Also stuff dumped with Cleanrip just gets dropped in the root.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

After many times of trying...
    I finally got what I wanted
    Thanks guys!
    When I will backup a game next time, I will just use an HDD. Now I understand why.
    meme.jpg
    Screenshot taken with Dolphin

Regards,
    Trash_Bandatcoot