Thread: Newbie: RetroPie Gaming - Is Mario Bros Even Possible???

Thanks

Default Newbie: RetroPie Gaming - Is Mario Bros Even Possible???

I'll probably catch a lot of flack for this question, as I am new to ALL of this, but if anyone can find a smidge of compassion for me right now, I'll be forever grateful!

I purchased the raspberry pi 0/w on a coworker's recommendation that it was the way to go for retro gaming. I am a Super Mario fan, and have been jonesing to go back to it for several years, since my kids have all grown!

Got the pi hooked up, downloaded retropie (holy crap, Linux? REALLY???) and was ready to get busy wasting time with my favorite old games when - uh-oh...I have to download ROMs?! So, now I'm scared...

Find many useful forums/sites that tell me downloading ROMs is illegal, especially for the Nintendo Mario stuff...it's bad enough I found out the raspberry pi 0/w can't support beyond SNES (no Nintendo 64 for me, dammit), but now I can't play any Mario at all, without obtaining it illegally and possibly full of malware/virus/CRAPOLA?

Please tell me I'm wrong. Is there a way I can get Super Mario for the SNES platform without putting myself at risk for prosecution or major computer vulnerability???

Thanks in advance...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

All the old Mario games (and some other stuff too) were removed from the main site...

https://www.epforums.org/showthread....-ARE-FORBIDDEN!)

It's unlikely you'd get into real trouble tbh, you aren't distributing roms. But it really depends on where you live, I mean for the legality. I'd still say very unlikely.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 12th-January-2018 at 20:16.

Spoiler warning:

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Deadlegion, I know you can't post external links to places here. But how does someone like me find resources for finding these ROMs? Even if I have to pay for them, I don't care...I just want a usable game to play

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyGirl View Post
    Deadlegion, I know you can't post external links to places here. But how does someone like me find resources for finding these ROMs? Even if I have to pay for them, I don't care...I just want a usable game to play
    No-Intro rom sets should have everything you want.

https://www.epforums.org/showthread....lete-ROM-Sets)

Only thing is you'll end up downloading a full set and probably discard a heap of games you don't want. Full set shouldn't be big for an old system though.

Spoiler warning: