Thread: PSX Emulation Issues (Symphony of the Night + others)

Thanks

Default PSX Emulation Issues (Symphony of the Night + others)

Hello. Im fairly new to emulation/hyperspin but am slowly working my way through it. Currently Im using RA to emulate PSX games with Hyperspin/Rocket Launcher. A good portion of my library works fine however with several titles I end up with a critical error with RA.exe. SotN is one of the offenders. Ive downloaded the system files for psx suggested on this site but they had no effect. Im running Win7 x64. 3.5ghz i5 with 8gigs or ram and a 1gb 560ti VC.

Any ideas? Below is the error log:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: retroarch.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 00000000
    Fault Module Name: mednafen_psx_libretro.dll
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0000000000009db4
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale I 1033
    Additional Information 1: 30fd
    Additional Information 2: 30fd2b180f4c35c6c1e295f9eadf20b9
    Additional Information 3: e71f
    Additional Information 4: e71fa02c4589461cff2957259cf3dfce

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What file types are the game(if it's CUE+BIN.ECM there is an extra step to extract) and have you run the game with the CUE file?

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

All files are 7ZIP. They are unpacked by Rocket Launcher and then run in RA. I've also tried to unpack everything and run the CUE files with the same result. Maybe its just a bad install? I just don't understand why it runs some games and then crashes out on others. I've tried using different CORE's, different versions of the game (packed & unpacked) and several different types of shader presets. I guess the next step is to just try a whole new version. I don't believe I'm running the newest build (I think I'm on version 1.1).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,576 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

What is Rocket Launcher

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Have you tried a different emulator just to see?

Also are their multiple bin files?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What file types did you get when you extracted from the 7z? Like I said above, if you have a CUE and BIN.ECM then it won't work without an extra step.

I'll just leave this here as I now have a headache.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Do me a favor and use RetroArch by itself and a redump of Castlevania

https://www.epforums.org/showthread....levania+redump

you have 2 choices, installer or portable

they are on the bottom of this link - https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86_64/

Regarding the BIOS files, load Beetle PSX and go to information,core information and see if they are listed as PRESENT or MISSING.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    What file types did you get when you extracted from the 7z? Like I said above, if you have a CUE and BIN.ECM then it won't work without an extra step.

I'll just leave this here as I now have a headache.
    Thank you for the help Skull. I'm sorry this is frustrating. Very new to this.
    I went back and started unpacking the 7zips. The common theme seems to be if there is a single BIN and single CUE file inside the 7zip file RA will run it just fine. However there are several 7zip files that have more than one CUE or BIN file (looks like separate music tracks maybe?) RA does not like these 7zips and will crash when I try to run them. :/ SotN has a 7zip inside a 7zip and then a BIN.ECM inside that 7ZIP file (no corresponding CUE file). So I guess I just have janky roms. Which is disappointing.

Also, you all are VERY helpful and it is greatly appreciated. I realize how painful it can be to deal with newbs sometimes. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    Do me a favor and use RetroArch by itself and a redump of Castlevania

https://www.epforums.org/showthread....levania+redump

you have 2 choices, installer or portable

they are on the bottom of this link - https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86_64/

Regarding the BIOS files, load Beetle PSX and go to information,core information and see if they are listed as PRESENT or MISSING.
    I'm downloading the fresh SotN rom now Warrior. It'll take a bit since Im doing this on my Bartop Arcade and has a terrible WiFi connection I'll test and report back asap.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 6th-January-2018 at 08:45. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ok, the link in my last post shows you how to deal with .ECM files. That's really all you need to do to get it running at this point. Here's the link again to avoid any confusion.

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...03#post1187003

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Paste that bit into a text file, replace CASTLEVANIA.BIN with the name of your .BIN, at the bottom of the Save as window change it from Text files (.txt) to All files (*.*), then save the text file with "the same name you replaced CASTLEVANIA with".cue. As long as BIN and CUE are in the same folder they should work.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 6th-January-2018 at 06:05.