Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's The Best Cheap Game You've Bought?

Thanks

Default What's The Best Cheap Game You've Bought?

I'm sure most people have bought a cheap game and ended up liking it a lot more than expected, so yeah.
    What's your favorite game you got for a cheap price?

For me, it's an indie game called Zigfrak, which I got for five dollars. Best five dollars I ever spent.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Most games that I buy are cheap Recently I pulled Adventure Time the Nameless Kingdom out of a bargain bin on a whim. Tossed it in my PS3 and discovered it's a top down Zelda clone, nice. Ain't nothing wrong with clones of good games
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

I bought dragon age origins maybe a year or two ago ( Long after its release ). It was one of my best buys nad made me buy the follow ups , the story was really good , the strategy in combat , i then went to another old similar type game , neverwinter nights also long after its release , and man was i enjoying the in depth character development , stats and so forth derived from dungeons and dragons i believe .

There are many total war for example i didnt know about , i discovered medieval 2 in a second shop for like 40 rand about 4 dollars. I still play it almost 4 years later , with mods ofcourse , i also as a result purchased the newer releases , but tw2 imo will always be one of the best things i ever wasted my time and money on.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I got Devil May Cry 3 for dirt cheap.

It was the first DMC game I'd played and is now one of my favourite games of all time.
    JEROME
    BLOGGER

Thanks

for me it might be insurgency but it for 2-3$ it is really good spent a lot of time on it and still fun to play for 1-2 hours then i can put down. I enjoy it as much as CSGO actually maybe more so

Thanks
    EP Points

There are tons.

Wait.... you mean actually bought? Hm... now that comes much harder. I mean, there's the dollar versions of Costume Quest, Unreal Tournament (the original from Epic Megagames), and Red Alert 2 that I picked up - but I knew those games were good, especially RA2. UT isn't my cup of tea - I prefer Doom2; but I've liked Command & Conquer since it was spun away from Dune II (I also love Dune 2000 and Emperor: Battle for Dune). Costume Quest... it's from Tim Schafer, creator of Grim Fandango and Psychonauts; I was destined to like it.

I'd say there have only been 2 crapshoot bargain-bin games I picked up: Prison Tycoon Collection by ValuSoft (Prison Tycoon 1 - 4 on a single CD), which was bought by Cosmi - perhaps the premier bargain-bin software company since 1982! I've played their games for years, like Corporate Raider, Inside Trader, Slinky (a Q*Bert clone), and more. Prison Tycoon is a business simulator in the same vein as most Tycoon games, except instead of a fun colorful zoo or a roller coaster theme park, you're tasked with running a prison. I guess I'd say it's not as much "fun" as "interesting", and then only to a certain OCD neurotic mindset that really wants to run what amounts to a private prison. If you like Tycoon games with a lot of tedium like ValuSoft & Cosmi's other releases, well, this is another one.

Otherwise, there's Glory of Heracles for the Nintendo DS. A really run adventure-RPG set in Mythic Greece. I've got nothing but praise to heap on this game, but then again, if you look at the pedigree it's easy to see why. It's part of a series that was started by Data East on the Famicom, starting with "Tōjin Makyō Den: Heracles no Eikō". Sure this one was developed by Paon, but with a lot of help from Data East and former DE staff. Nintendo published it 1st-party this time, because like I said, this is a classic RPG series that started in 1987 - and yet never saw US shores until the age of the Nintendo DS - and even though the old games are on Japan's 3DS eShop, there's no real chance of a release for them here because Data East is gone.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've bought a lot of second hand bargains over the years I've been gaming but one that I think was probably the best is the original Xbox version of the underrated, cross-platform game:XIII.

Boxed, manual and all in perfect condition cost: 50p from CEX in the UK. That's half a GB £ about 75c US.

A really good FPS with a great comic book look, presentation style and, unlike many games which used cell-shading, that was entirely appropriate. Based on an existing graphic novel series as it was it also has a well told, well written and, thankfully, well voice acted story too.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Evil Zone - $10 Retail

Got that when it came out, still one of the best budget games ever.

If anyone wants to try it I got the USA and JPN versions shared Redump here in the forums.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's a toss up between Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Sacrifice for $.50 each. Both are excellent games. I try not to judge a game based on how much I paid though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Most games that I buy are cheap Recently I pulled Adventure Time the Nameless Kingdom out of a bargain bin on a whim. Tossed it in my PS3 and discovered it's a top down Zelda clone, nice. Ain't nothing wrong with clones of good games
    Same here.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Years ago, I bought Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer in a local Sony club for a price that would be equal to maybe one or two dollars. So much fun at such a ridiculous price. Great deal.
    Last edited by daky; 25th-January-2018 at 03:46.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Guile View Post
    It's a toss up between Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Sacrifice for $.50 each. Both are excellent games. I try not to judge a game based on how much I paid though.

Same here.
    .5$ a game holy ..... the cheapest i ever found second hand was 49.99 Rand ( 4 dollars im guessing )

with $0.5 roughly 6 rand , i cant even buy a half loaf of bread lmao

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar29 View Post
    .5$ a game holy ..... the cheapest i ever found second hand was 49.99 Rand ( 4 dollars im guessing )

with $0.5 roughly 6 rand , i cant even buy a half loaf of bread lmao
    I get some physical games for free Not current gen though.

I guess the most recent game of note that I got for nothing was Jurassic Park Operation Genesis PS2.
    PC games I've got things like Wing Commander Deluxe Edition & G-Police big box versions.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 24th-January-2018 at 12:47.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I would say No One Can Stop Mr. Domino! I bought this game, around the time Dreamcast games were going on sale and seen the price -5 USD new- at Best Buy and fell in love with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    Evil Zone - $10 Retail

Got that when it came out, still one of the best budget games ever.

If anyone wants to try it I got the USA and JPN versions shared Redump here in the forums.

Wow, same here! I remeber going to EB Games looking for the 4-player fighting game Shaolin instead picking up Evil Zone, which was awesome!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Watch out guys, I'm about to show my age.

Years ago, I bought a used Duke Nukem 3D for DOS CD for somewhere $10-$15 at a store somewhere. Wish I could remember. Anyway, it's the best game I've played and still play it. I love this game. There's a lot of support for it and I have 100s and 100s of maps. A mouse and a few keys is all I needed to play.

It has a Windows port that I'm playing now but some games doesn't work with W7-W10 because these OSes doesn't have some DOS in them.

I still have the CD.

By the way, the CD also have Duke Nukem I and II full version plus some shareware games.
    Last edited by Old Frog; 17th-February-2018 at 23:16.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'd have to say Shovel Knight is the best cheap game i've bought.