Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dreamcast sonic adventure 2

Thanks

Ok thanks. As soon as my cds arrive, ill try to burn do you raccomend overburning?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes a lot of the Dreamcast Mil-CD rips use overburn

Overburn only kicks in if the data over shoots the default limits of a CD-R but never does if the data does not over shoot the limit it does not get used, so there no harm having it enabled at all times as it will only activate for those CD images that are slightly too big for the CD

Also 90min and 99min CD-Rs will use overburn when burning over 80mins also, as the 80min limit is still there is those also even if they have more space available (a standard 80Min CD-R can not be overburned to 90min or 99min so you do still require the correct CD-R's for those rips)

P.S. I still had the wrong image open... that image requires overburn enabled anyway

The screen grab shows the MSF 81:17:10 for the disc in question, the other image was for Sonic 1 not 2 anyway overburn with enable that to burn on a standard 80min CD-R, the rip was intentionally done that way to fit an 80min CD-R

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  17.2 KB

I have actually stopped doing Dreamcast RIPs myself though as I took the plunge and got myself a USB GD-Rom and run my games from a USB HDD hooked up to my Dreamcast, though that did cost apx £100 just for the board and the cost of a Portable USB HDD (1 TB was enough to fit all the games on it even though I was using GDI images that are apx 1.2 GB for each disc even if the contents of some of those are less than 1.2 GB because they are RAW dumps the image size is still 1.2 GB but there are only about 300 games for Dreamcast if I remember correctly)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-January-2018 at 16:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Looks like i successfully burned it. Thanks all!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Anybody running this on the new DEMUL? I've seen it play Shenmue in 4K now.
    JEROME
    BLOGGER

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by emulatorlowndown View Post
    Anybody running this on the new DEMUL? I've seen it play Shenmue in 4K now.
    This is the Console section (users of real consoles) so unlikely you will get an answer to that

There are wide screen hacks for this game also

google Shenmue Dojo widescreen or dreamcast widescreen codes (better than using emulators to do this for you) then use either NullDC or DEmul there are a number of hacks for NullDC just for shenmue games as well, not something I really bothered with though myself I still use my dreamcast, also there should be a re release of Shenmue 1 and 2 on it's way to PS4 and xbone with Shenmue 3 in the back end of this year if it's still on schedule that is (Not to say that it will be 4K though but it should have much nicer graphics to start with) saying that though it is possible to re texture the Dreamcast version

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I want to ask a question: today i tried to play the game for the first time (it worked 3 weeks ago when i burned it) and it didnt boot, it kept showing it as audio cd. Then i started playing another game for 20 minutes, after that i retried with my burned sonic adventure 2 cd and this time it worked....do you think the cd is damaged? What you say?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

It's probably either the media you're using or the maybe laser is funny about burned discs. I'm not personally familiar with this hardware but I would assume media issue...it's a common problem with poor quality discs. Brand isn't really relevant it's who manufactured the discs.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Today it did it again it didnt start, then i played 10 minutes another game, then it started...what do you say? Should i try to burn it again?

Those are the cds, they are not good maybe?
    https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0002U9RQQ/..._C6UvHMNGVmCT9

Or maybe is it time to buy a ps4 ?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Use standard 80min CD-R's not 90min one and yeah they are possibly no good for the Dreamcast I have had CD-R's especially sized bigger than 80min that just will not work on the Dreamcast either not at all or only for short times

The only good 99min CD-R's I used are Banana branded (don't ask they are not easy to find now)

Buy a PS4 anyway or even better a PS3 there are tons and tons of great games for that, the PS4 is great but lacks the amount of games that are there for PS3 and the games are reasonably cheap for the PS3

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

U sure a 80 minutes cd will hold a 820mb game? Its 100+ mb missing..

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I had already gone through that open it up with Discjuggler it even tells you the content space in MSF Mins/Seconds/Frame (if I remember correctly it's 70 frames per seconds)

The actual file size of a disc image is always more than the actual space used on a CD, I do believe overburn was needed for this one but it will fit a 80min CD-R without issue (overburn is required for any CD image contents over 80mins even if you use CD-R's of 90min or 99min)

MSF 81:17:10 for that disc and yes that will fit on a 80Min CD-R with overburn in fact that is what is was intended for you do not need a CD with more space (overburn is used for any CD image that uses more than 80 mins even if you use a CD-R of higher capacity)

Use Discjuggler (free version is fine even with the 700MB limit [The limit is not implemented for CD burns just DVD burns so can be ignored ~I have burned and created 99min CD-R rips with the free version])
    Make sure Overburn is enabled
    Make sure you say No if asked to repair the CD image

I already went through this as well, but different burn modes/data types allow for more or less space to be used because of how much space can be used per block on a CD-R
    The following info is without overburn as overbiurn can enable you to burn more than 80mins or 80:00:00 MSF apx 2 mins of overburn can be used (a little under usually)

Mode 1 data uses 2,048 Bytes per CD block 737,280,000 Bytes for a 80min CD-R that is 703.125 MB total
    Audio data uses 2,352 Bytes per CD block 846,720,000 Bytes for a 80min CD-R that is 807.495 MB total
    Mode 2 data uses 2,336 Bytes per CD block 840,960,000 Bytes for a 80min CD-R that is 802.001 MB total

Dreamcast CD-R's use Multi session information that will add to the total as there will be at least two open sessions and two close sessions

Dreamcast CD-R's use either Mode 2 on both sessions or a session of Mode 2 and a session of Audio single or multi tracked

Again disc image size is always bigger than the actual contents size so a 820MB image file contents will be a bit less than 820MB when burned to a disc
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-February-2018 at 18:43.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I burned it on a regular 700mb cd and still no luck....this time it didnt even boot once....maybe the .cdi is not good? I had to buy it 17 years ago, i knew it