Thread: Have you ever had a burned disc run better than an iso in epsxe?

trelimb Guest

Default Have you ever had a burned disc run better than an iso in epsxe?

Up until recently I played all my games using burned disks and never bothered playing from iso's. Then, to check a download of silent hill before I burned it, I played it from the image file and it ran perfectly but when I burned the game to a cdr it skipped. So I was wondering how often games run better as image files on your hard drive than they do as cdr's of the image.

Have you ever had a burned disk run better than an iso (or bin/cue or ccd and the like) on epsxe? If so, what game was it and how did it play better?
    I ask these questions because I was never aware that the images would play better. I guess I just figured it was a compressed file and that the expanded version should work better but then I found that it might not be that way.
    Sorry if this is an annoying thread and seems newbie ish.

Thanks
    EP Points

The burned disks are a little different from real PSX disks.
    That is why they skip in ePSXe because I have tried them before.
    Don't ask me why they don't skip on a real PSX.

Thanks
    EP Points

A burnt disc can never run better than an ISO on a PC, infact, not even an original disc can run better than an ISO, simply because hard disk access speeds are WAY over cd-rom access speeds.
    Now, a reason why your burnt disc isn't working properly because either your cd-drive isn't fast enough (which is unlikely..) OR because you haven't burnt it to a good quality disc. Also, make sure you have DMA enabled on your CD-Drive for optimal performance.

Just to say that burnt discs never can work better than ISO's so there's something wrong in your particular case, just check it up

trelimb Guest

Originally posted by MasJ
    A burnt disc can never run better than an ISO on a PC, infact, not even an original disc can run better than an ISO, simply because hard disk access speeds are WAY over cd-rom access speeds.
    Now, a reason why your burnt disc isn't working properly because either your cd-drive isn't fast enough (which is unlikely..) OR because you haven't burnt it to a good quality disc. Also, make sure you have DMA enabled on your CD-Drive for optimal performance.

Just to say that burnt discs never can work better than ISO's so there's something wrong in your particular case, just check it up
    Well cool, this is what I needed to hear. Now I can save myself some disks because I know know not to burn games to them unless I get a real console.
    In response to your third paragragh, I didn't say I had games that played better on cdr's than on iso's. I said the iso played better than the cdr.
    Thanks guys.

Christopher Time Guest

Originally posted by trelimb
    In response to your third paragragh, I didn't say I had games that played better on cdr's than on iso's. I said the iso played better than the cdr.
    Thanks guys.
    You sure about that? Read your thread title again a little closer.

trelimb Guest

Originally posted by The Sage Of Time
    You sure about that? Read your thread title again a little closer.
    Yep, I'm sure. My thread title is "Have you ever had a burned disc run better than an iso in epsxe?" It's a question. I never said "Hey my cdr run better than iso's!" The rest of opening post instead goes on to talk about how I hadn't tried using iso's before and when I did try it, I found that the iso's run better. It was only a suprise because I had never ran from an iso before.
    Sorry if the title was confusing.
    Simply put, the first time I ran a game from the iso, it ran better than cd's of the same game and I wanted to know if that was always the case with all games so I asked if anyone had it work the other way.
    Read the post again. I'm pretty sure that's what it says.

neogeomad Guest

I too play all my games from HDD. With the frequency I play them though I hope the HDD doesn't wear out too soon

Thanks
    EP Points

Running ISOs are the best because you can get up to 200 speed with them off the HD, and you don't have to waste CDs. (Unless your HD is almost full.)