Thread: MSU-1 this, MSU-1 that...ugh...

Thanks
    EP Points

Default MSU-1 this, MSU-1 that...ugh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_TGhew1RzA

the game is 512KB in size. the music pack is 262.06MB in size. (and no, not even vlc will recognize those bloated PCM files. which is surprising since vlc runs, or tries to run, just about anything you throw at it.)

to use said music pack you have to jump through hoops and setup the rom hack.

apparently, to play the music pack in a media player you have to convert all the files TWICE to get them to any sort of format a media player can even recognize, let alone play.

is there anything about these rom hacks that isn't idiotic? i mean, i still use vlc media player... mute the audio for whatever emulator i happen to be using, load the tracks i want to listen to into the media player, then hit play. same end result.

and the whole "CD Quality" thing is misleading at best since "remix" does not necessarily equal cd quality.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

95% of all ROM hacks are shit.
    3% are mediocre.
    1% are decent.
    .7% are good.
    .2% are amazing.
    .1% are so great you can never play vanilla again.

The supposed "CD quality" MSU-1 shit is, however, on a whole other level of stupidity.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    The supposed "CD quality" MSU-1 shit is, however, on a whole other level of stupidity.
    yeah... i mean, unless these uncompressed PCM files magically improve the sound quality (which i highly doubt the do since most, if not all, of the tracks these hacks tend to use are MP3 files to begin with) the end results are still not "CD Quality".

plus that media player argument i keep using is a valid one since, if the above is true, there really is no difference in audio quality either way and using a media player involves less hoops to jump through (just load up the music and press play) then the hacks just to play some different music.

if someone could give me an actual GOOD reason to use this kind of rom hack, i'm all ears. but for the time being, it's really just a big waste of time (and bandwidth when it comes to downloading the bloated music packs).