Thread: How to start a Forum?

Thanks

Default How to start a Forum?

alright, i have forums set up, but activity is pretty much me talking to myself. it's a normal wrestling forum. i was wondering if any of you people own forums and how you got constant posters on them. what techniques did you se (eg.: search engines, advertising on other forums, etc)
    Thanx in advance...

Thanks

You'll notice most (if not all) successful forums are built around a website. If you don't have some kind of draw to your place on the web then no one is going to show up. There's billions of forums out there, what makes yours unique? That's what you need to figure out.
    -Mason Gray: Less vowels, same great consonant taste.

Thanks

o yeah. we are a news site on the backstage happenings and storylines in wrestling. we are pretty succesful as far as the main site goes, but the forums aren't very popular right now. the owner of the site opened the forums when the site started but didnt know much about what forums were supposed to be like since he does not go on any, so he just closed them. he recently opened them and put them in my hands. we currently have 531 members and have roughly 7965 frequent visitors. the problem is that noone posts. ive advertised the site itself and forums seperately in several search engines and advertised through other wrestling forums through PMing top posters there. the only thing that seemed to have done is gotten about 3 flame posts from members loyal to their own site.

i made 31 posts out of the 42 posts that are on the board. i know, its pretty bad and i think i might be trying too hard:\

EDIT: thought of an idea: make fake accounts aqnd start posting so that it appears that there is activity. i personnally wouldnt post in a forum that is as inactive as mine personally. ill try it and see how it works...
    Last edited by DudeCuda; 23rd-June-2003 at 06:58.

Thanks
    EP Points

why dont display the latest forum posts on the front page, i know a hack for phpbb that does that..

Thanks

Originally posted by torpedo009
    why dont display the latest forum posts on the front page, i know a hack for phpbb that does that..
    i dont really understand your post . sorry dude, but im a little slow on the uptake...

alright, update. i tried posting to myself under different accounts and it seemed to have worked! it seems the more i post to myself, the more other people start to post and come back because they beleive that there is activity going on. ill keep this technique for awhile until my forums start to grow on their own. i realize that an update isnt really necessary, but i made this post after noticing that several people seem to be starting new forums and i figured this might help them and they jknow that it can/will work.

Thanks

also maybe try going for some topten site or whatever temporary if not allready, that can etract members when searching for specific things, and just get yer friends and people to vote for ya's
    Crusher and Sir Nastercoff r0XXOr!!!

Thanks

Originally posted by dudecuda
    i dont really understand your post . sorry dude, but im a little slow on the uptake...
    He meant to show the Topics that are currently being discussed in the forum on the web sites page...

an example of this could be found here...

www.saikyo.com
    "Learn a new language gain a new soul"
    -Wizdom from a fortune cookie.-
    "The only thing tragic about coming from a hard life, is not learning anything from it."
    -Taylor-

Thanks

Originally posted by nihonjintaylor
    He meant to show the Topics that are currently being discussed in the forum on the web sites page...

an example of this could be found here...

www.saikyo.com
    o yeah, we have that here too i think. im not sure if that would be a good idea inm mine though. we have verylittle space on the main page but we're changing the layout soon too....

Thanks

You could also lure people in by providing an incentive for them. Emuparadise did this back when they hosted psx isos. People had to become a member of the forum before they could download the games.

PSX - Crash Bash [NTSC]
    PSX - Vagrant Story [NTSC&PAL]
    PSX - Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped [NTSC]
    PSX - Azure Dreams [NTSC]
    PSX - Hydro Thunder [NTSC]
    :::[DOWNLOAD PSX ISOS FROM OMNIROM.TK]:::

chrono8921 Guest

Yeah, except you should do something like only people with at least a 150 posts could access the download section... just like Everything Capcom used to do...