Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: so...how is everyone around this part of the internet enjoying the beating EA has been getting...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Australian rules and International rules football. There's also rugby too but I'm not sure if people call that football, in my state it isn't that popular anyway...if people are talking about footy in this state it's AFL (Aussie rules). In the last couple of decades a lot more people are calling soccer "football" again but it's still called soccer mostly to distinguish it from the more popular sport (AFL).

Afaik it wasn't the yanks that started calling football "soccer" anyway.
    Doesn't change the fact that it's called Football in a large majority of countries, which was my point. Even China, a country with no tradition as far as this sports refers, calls it Football. I'm sure there are dozens of unpopular handegg sports out there, but I wasn't referring to them

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    what an idiotic argument of semantics that is.

whatever, i live in the US so i call the FIFA sport soccer. don't really care what the rest of the world calls it. though that does raise a question: outside the US, what does the box art for FIFA say? football or soccer? same for the NFL box art, does that still say football or something else.

edit: wait... "Afaik it wasn't the yanks that started calling football "soccer" anyway." ...what?
    It's not idiotic since he meant Football, not soccer

Fédération Internationale de Football Association, that's what FIFA means, it doesn't say soccer anywhere, not even in the states. Box art won't change regionally as the FIFA or Madden part is considered a brand.

And to stay on topic, people tends to be drama queens about pretty much everything nowadays. This recent EA affair is just another case of that. Haters will be haters no matter what.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 5th-December-2017 at 20:25.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Ok so technically it isn't soccer it's Association Football, a combination of English codes.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Ok so technically it isn't soccer it's Association Football, a combination of English codes.
    It's what people calls it

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    And to stay on topic, people tends to be drama queens about pretty much everything nowadays. This recent EA affair is just another case of that. Haters will be haters no matter what.
    Not even a little. EA has earned the bad reputation, it didn't spring up overnight because of SW: BF2.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Guile View Post
    Not even a little. EA has earned the bad reputation, it didn't spring up overnight because of SW: BF2.
    This. I think my final straw was when they utterly EA'ed westwood, that's a wound thats never going to heal.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Crash-Headroom View Post
    This. I think my final straw was when they utterly EA'ed westwood, that's a wound thats never going to heal.
    Good way of putting it . I still miss them and Bullfrog .

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh i forgot about poor bullfrog ...and you just brought up a mentally repressed memory, they utterly molested syndicate didn't they

Thanks
    EP Points

i still have my copy of dungeon keeper 2 (though i usually just keep a copy of the GoG version downloaded and installed instead) from 10-20 years ago. back from the good ol' days of bullfrog.

i also like to keep a GoG copy of the first game around too. you just can't beat that dark atmosphere and soundtrack n that game.

it's so rare to find games like that these days. not even From's Soulsborne franchise really holds up that well though that's partly because they largely went with ambient environment audio instead of actual music with those games. it's nice but...it's not that nice. :/

Thanks
    EP Points

After countless hours of doing a tool-assisted speed run of NES Tetris, I was one of a few players that discovered "EA" as a playable level in that game - one of the longest!

EA itself, however, I do enjoy a few games from their Need for Speed franchise. I'm sorry that they're taking a pretty hard hit from the Star Wars disaster recently, but they got what they deserve.

Thanks
    EP Points

yeah...that's right. keep hitting them where it hurts the most. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ivMWG5uNo

Thanks
    EP Points

I've got it out for EA in all honesty, screw them love to see that 20% of CODWW2 sales.

15 years plus ago I worked in the game industry at the dawn of the Gamecube era for Midway before they sucked and burned. I don't like sports games, but one I did so much so I ended up working a bit on was NHL Hitz 2002. The game did so nicely it caused EA pain, so what did they do? They basically killed Hitz because we franchised the work out to blackbox games up in Canada, so EA feeling threatened cash offer bought out BBG while working on the 2003 version of the game. They immediately terminated the project, fired most of the staff, gave the others the choice of picking up and moving to the EA canada office or being fired too. Yet another way EA handles business just like westwood and bullfrog (which still stings to me too.)

I liked the bit I read how Disney cracked down on them probably with contract threats about their pay box gambling bullshit demanding it being taken care of. I'd love nothing more than seeing many politicians from multiple countries taking swipes at EA now trying to knock them down a peg and the industry on the whole over scummy microtransaction and lootbox gambling aspects to kids.

EA just sucks. If you can find the info online, IGN hammered them years ago over Tiger Woods Golf. I don't recall the year, but one year the game was $60 with all the golf courses/players from the start. The year after they withheld almost half the characters and courses, then nagged you hard on every load screen and more, and charged individually for everything. IGN pointed it out that your $60 game a year earlier was like a $300 game now to get the same content. EA sucks. I hate they have the Star Wars license as I could not care less about the other. I hope they get revoked, Factor 5 (Star Wars Rogue Squadron trilogy) is back in business, and they had finished a Wii game covering all 3 games remastered and Disney shut it down when they bought out Lucasfilm. I'd love to see that game come out.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Crash-Headroom View Post
    Oh i forgot about poor bullfrog ...and you just brought up a mentally repressed memory, they utterly molested syndicate didn't they
    There was something in 2012 but I've never played it.

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    i still have my copy of dungeon keeper 2 (though i usually just keep a copy of the GoG version downloaded and installed instead) from 10-20 years ago. back from the good ol' days of bullfrog.

i also like to keep a GoG copy of the first game around too. you just can't beat that dark atmosphere and soundtrack n that game.

it's so rare to find games like that these days. not even From's Soulsborne franchise really holds up that well though that's partly because they largely went with ambient environment audio instead of actual music with those games. it's nice but...it's not that nice. :/
    You might check out War for the Overworld. Skimming reviews, it seems a bit rough around the edges (bugs) but a decent game at its core. I haven't played it myself so I can't comment on it personally.

Thanks
    EP Points

There was something in 2012 but I've never played it.
    you mean that cartoony mobile game they released? yuck, they warped and twisted a great IP into some disgusting free-to-wait nightmare fuel.

You might check out War for the Overworld. Skimming reviews, it seems a bit rough around the edges (bugs) but a decent game at its core. I haven't played it myself so I can't comment on it personally.
    just 2 more months...2 more months and i will at long last be freed from the confines of this damned laptop nightmare... then i won't have to worry about system requirements for quite some time (desktop pc). after that, the only real restriction i'll have is file sizes and the time it takes to download them. though, given we're planning on moving next year too, we MIGHT be able to get better internet wherever we end up moving to so that's some more potential good news. just have to wait and see on both points.