Thread: Invalid Referrer in Tor and Firefox

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Invalid Referrer in Tor and Firefox

This site used to work, but after doing a complete system reinstall a couple of weeks ago, none of the downloads will work anymore. It always redirects to https://www.emuparadise.me/roms/inva....php?gid=96282. Clicking the button to set an exception has no effect, nor does clicking the 'get file link'. And yes, I am navigating directly through EP, not from an outside source.

A google search didn't show any others with the same problem. I've disabled noScript, with no effect on the problem. No other plugins are installed other than the base Tor ones; I don't even have uBlock installed like I normally do. It does the exact same thing in Firefox, with or without ublock or noscript going.

Again, it was working two weeks ago, with the only difference being if Tor updated between now and then. I never checked my normal Firefox install before the reinstall, since I don't normally use it for searching stuff out.

The file in question is the Acord Archimedes complete set, though I've also tried several individual games across Sega CD, Amstrad, and Game Boy, and the Atari 8 bit line complete set as well, just to test to see if it was just the Archimedes set broken. All I've tested are broken.

They do download on Firefox mobile, which is odd. Same Archimedes complete set.

Thanks
    EP Points

There is a bug in Firefox 57 that was causing downloads to not work. We implemented a workaround to this but if you're using noscript and/or blocking referrer information the workaround will not work. Mozilla is aware of the issue and is working on a bug fix but it'll still take a long time to get into the main Firefox.

It's definitely one of your extensions (because downloads are working fine on stock Firefox 57) but the easiest way to sort it out is to use a different browser to download for now.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've not updated to FF57 yet, as I was waiting until some of my usual extensions were updated to the new version. I'm on FF54 as of now. Tor is v 7.0.10, which is based on FF52.

Futhermore, in both Tor and Firefox, I disabled all extensions, and it was still broken. I disabled NoScript, HTTPS Everywhere, Tor Button, and Tor Launcher in Tor, which are the only extensions uploaded; I also enabled Flash plugin briefly. Downloads are still broken.

In Firefox, I disabled UBlock, Strict Popup Blcoker, Flashblock, Privacy Badger, and Flash and Video Download, and it was still broken.

So unless you are saying the work around doesn't work with no extensions at all, it is not the extensions causing the problem. All of them were disabled in testing the problem, and none of them being disabled corrected the problem. Problems in FF57 are also not it, since Tor is based on FF52, and my main browser in 54.

Thanks
    EP Points

Did you try any other browser at all? Did you try without Tor?

Thanks
    EP Points

In desktop Firefox 54, it does not work, regardless of extensions being disabled or not. I do not use Chrome as I do not trust it.

On my cell phone, using Fire Fox mobile (of uncertain vintage since I barely use the thing), it does work. Ublock and ghostery installed and active on mobile.

Thanks
    EP Points

Try switching to FTP on Desktop Firefox 54. You can use the red button that says Edit Download Settings.
    I've tested the system on Firefox on desktop and it seems to be working okay so it's definitely something on your end that's either hiding the referrer or blocking javascript and cookies, or both.

So you get sent to the invalid referrer page, then you go back, click the download link and the same thing happens? What's the URL in your address bar when you're on the download page?

Thanks
    EP Points

https://www.emuparadise.me/Complete_...96282-download

I was able to get back to it after I was done with other things. FTP worked, however that Acorn Archimedes full set downloaded a 26.8MB archive, while the site claims it is 73MB. Archive Manager threw an error when trying to extract the files, so it may be that this particular archive is bad. I'm attempting to download a second time to see.
    Last edited by drdeath4h; 25th-November-2017 at 03:44. Reason: Update

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, it's back to invalid referrer, despite FTP now. I did get the Acorn Archimedes set downloaded. Now it's Lunar: Siver Star for the Sega CD.

*sigh*. I'm not sure what changed. Testing it now by disabling addons and turning off private mode and so forth.

UPDATE: It appears to be a problem with private browsing. I must have turned it off before when I got the Acron download to work, but because I spent so much time on it, forgot what I'd done to fix it.

Thanks for the help. Sometimes you just need to talk things through.
    Last edited by drdeath4h; 27th-November-2017 at 02:51.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to drdeath4h For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I had the same problem, I clicked on the "add to exceptions" button and it worked: but what exceptions were added? What options did it change to Firefox?