Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning NTSC or PAL ISOs for my PAL PS1 and PS2 ?

Thanks

Default Burning NTSC or PAL ISOs for my PAL PS1 and PS2 ?

I know NTSC ISOs run at 60 fps so I use them with emulators to play on my LCD TV but when I want more authentic experience I play on my old CRT with real hardware.
    So my question is:
    Should I burn PAL ISOs or NTSC ones to use with actual hardware (PS1 and PS2) since my modded consoles can play both?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Can you use 60Hz on your old crt?

Edit:
    Actually the question I should've really asked is your crt capable of both 50 and 60Hz.
    If it's 60Hz only you will have issues trying to play PSX PAL exclusives, even if your modchip has colour correction you will probably see vertical scrolling. An external converter will fix that issue but it's extra hardware, and a lot of them aren't very good quality. You could also try adjusting v-sync but then you'll have to do that every time you switch between NTSC/PAL games and vice versa.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 19th-November-2017 at 03:52.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I can see you own PAL consoles anyway

If your CRT TV support SCART grab a scart for PSX/PS2 then you can play both PAL and NTSC without forcing one or the other (bonus you will have a great image for CRT)

The difference between PAL and NTSC is nothing the first and last frame of each 50 frames PAL (25 really) is the same as the first and last of each 60 frames (30 really) so unless it was a bad conversion (goes both ways) they will run at the same speed (do not force NTSC to run as PAL or PAL to run at NTSC they will go out of sync)

I looked at it this way

I mostly went NTSC but there are not just PAL exclusives but also some PAL versions with extra content missing from there NTSC versions Final Fantasy X for example has more content in the PAL version vs the NTSC counterpart containing all the extra's from the later Jap version

All this depends on you being able to run both PAL and NTSC regional displays without patching
    Last edited by Zorlon; 19th-November-2017 at 08:56.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm not sure I've understood all that ^ but you seem to be saying that using a particular cable will allow you to play any NTSC or PAL game (using a modded PS/PS2) on a PAL CRT TV. Yes?

It will but only, as deadlegion said if the TV itself supports both PAL and NTSC external input sources. Most PAL CRTs did/do but there are a few that are PAL60 only and are not NTSC compatible.

The connection cable type is irrelevant AFAIK except that certain PAL CRT TVs only supported NTSC via the SCART connections and that may mean only the RGB ones too. The standard Composite AV phono connectors (yellow: video, red/white: audio) may only support PAL even on a PAL TV which does support NTSC with other connection options.

I guess this is what you mean but I've always assumed it is the TV's external source input connection spec not the cable type being used that controls the NTSC support.

The way to test this would be using a SCART adapter with a Composite AV phono connection cable to see if it will support NTSC too. S-Video likewise, which PAL TV's SCART connections usually also supports and via their front or side connector arrays.

Unfortunately the last PAL CRT I had with which I could test any of this (a great little 20" 4:3 Grundig) died last year but I am 100% certain its Composite AV phono inputs didn't support NTSC and its SCART(RGB) did.

Thanks
    EP Points

I have a 32" Sony Trinitron that has composite, s-video and component inputs but no scart. I'm PAL region but the tv is multi region capable through all inputs (SECAM is the only one I'm not 100% sure it supports).

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

For TV's that have SCART it will enable both PAL 50 and 60 Hz to work fine as well as NTSC without the TV having native 60 Hz support that would normally scroll and be in black and white with all other cables

NTSC via standard AV Yellow even via a SCART adaptor is still B/W with PAL TV's, unless they are multi regional

So no the TV does not need to be multi regional at all

Most CRT TV's did not have multi region support just a few higher end TV's did most did not though (brand had nothing to do with it)

Tested all that way back in the day
    Last edited by Zorlon; 19th-November-2017 at 17:38.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Maybe most crt tv's in Europe and the states weren't multi region but over here a lot of the later crt tv's had it even though we're PAL region. Scart was always uncommon it was only Euro brands that had it so pretty much expensive sets, although I did have a Philips at one point that had 2x scart sockets and that wasn't high end afaik.
    You'd have to go right back to coax only sets here to find all of them being PAL.

Multi region was something that slowly became standard here some time ago. I can't even remember the last tv I had or even saw that was 50Hz only.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

I think we may be getting mixed up here with PAL TV multi-region broadcast compatibility and external input compatibility. Few (if any) PAL TVs were multi-region ie. would work with a NTSC broadcast signal.

However, in the UK, like deadlegion says, I've not owned any UK PAL CRT TV that has not also had NTSC compatible connections of some kind. There were a few cheap sets I saw at the time that stated they only supported PAL60 but that was quite unusual.

SCART (RGB) gives the best SD PQ possible so I rarely used anything else except that for specific purposes on various consoles. Only when I eventually bought a, rare in the UK, PAL 32" WS CRT which supported 480i, 576i, 480p, 576p and 1080i via Component did I switch over to Component. 480i using Component is almost as good as SCART (RGB) when properly adjusted and, if the game/game system supports it 480p beats hands down even the best SD PQ (SCART RGB + 100Hz/120Hz TV).

BTW that PAL 32" WS (JVC) CRT TV supports both NTSC and PAL/PAL60 via SCART and Component and, thinking about it, I've never actually tested it using its Composite AV inputs for NTSC compatibility. Something to do when I have the time.

On that subject PAL60 compatibility is important for PAL Dreamcast users in particular as Sega's console is one of the few which actually outputs PAL60 if you select the 60Hz option in a PAL region game. The UK and, I thought, all EU PS2s as well actually output NTSC when you use a game's 60Hz option (if provided).

They wouldn't have done that if there had not been large numbers of NTSC supporting PAL TVs out there.

Back on the OP's original subject: the question is a no brainer. For most PS and early PS2 games the PAL versions were not optimised ie. they displayed letter or window-boxed on PAL TVs and often ran slow because they were 60Hz games running on a 50Hz outputting console. This shabby treatment of the the UK/EU gamer was what spawned the grey NTSC console/game import, chipping and modding business Sony spent so much time and money trying to thwart.

In short: always use the NTSC version of PS and PS2 games.

Thanks

I have PAL Sony TV bought around 2000 and both PAL and NTSC games seem to work fine on it. I use SCART cable though I'm not sure is it any better than composite for image quality but I plan to get one from RGC anyway in the future.
    For now I'm wondering is it better to run PAL or NTSC games since I'm not sure if I'm getting 60 fps altho NTSC games seem to work just fine. Does that mean it supports 60 Hz? If I'm not getting 60 fps maybe PAL games could run smoother since there is less demanding processing from my consoles needed for only 50 fps.
    Thanks for the replays! Hope I clarified my question a bit.

Bad optimization of PAL games is also one of the reasons for using NTSC games for me. Thanks for bringing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbysmalDark View Post
    However, in the UK, like deadlegion says, I've not owned any UK PAL CRT TV that has not also had NTSC compatible connections of some kind. There were a few cheap sets I saw at the time that stated they only supported PAL60 but that was quite unusual.
    That's what I was looking for. So if I understood correctly I can run NTSC games in 60 fps on my PAL TV. If NTSC game runs it must be 60 fps (or 30 in some cases).
    Many thanks! Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 21st-November-2017 at 03:33. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

That Sony tv should be multi region (50 & 60Hz), I mean from what you posted it seems like it is anyway. We probably got the same model over here but without scart...composite, s-video and component inputs like the 32" I have.

Yeah stick to NTSC games for everything you can but there might be some odd titles you want that are PAL only though. Any PSX games that are like that should be fine @ 50Hz as they won't be bad conversions from NTSC.

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There are also a number of PAL versions that got a better release or more complete release, mostly because of the later release date so some have extra content some have bugs fixed missing from the NTSC versions, I have noticed this more for PS2 games though than PSX games, there is also more light gun support for PAL regions than NTSC regions on PSX (don't think they done the same on PS2 as far as I know anyway)

even if the TV has no native NTSC support it is still running at 60Hz via SCART

I have had a similar Sony TV though don't remember the exact year of it but alas it was not multi region, I guess that has more to do with the region it was acquired from, multi region CRT TV's had never been a common thing in the UK and usually had an added cost to get a multi region version even if the model was identical otherwise
    Last edited by Zorlon; 21st-November-2017 at 04:14.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm sorry but that is wrong: using SCART RGB/S-Video/Composite does not mean the output is 60Hz. SCART is just a 'universal' European cable connection system. It doesn't change or modify the TVs output at all. Use of a SCART cable does not force the output to 60Hz.

If the console's output is PAL50 ie. 576i/50Hz that is what SCART, RGB or not, will display. If the console's output is 60Hz then it gets a bit more complicated for the reasons I stated earlier. Some PAL consoles output PAL60 480i/60Hz but others, like the PS2, use NTSC 480i/60Hz.

SCART being just a connector system in fact could support any output signal even genuine HD or VGA. There was specific equipment that used it for Component YPbPr 480p, 720p and above but it was not in the original SCART spec so it was very rare. There were few if any PAL TVs that supported it so no PAL console manufacturer bothered either. With the PS it was 576i/50Hz or 480i/60Hz max and the latter only if offered by the game itself which few PAL ones did. That's why we imported the NTSC versions.

With the PS2 that changed with some games, even PAL ones, offering Prog Scan 480p (576p too?) options for those with Component YPbPr capable TVs but only through Component cables, not SCART.

But the point is SCART, RGB or not, can and does carry and display 576i/50Hz and even lower resolutions too. People forget that the original PS game resolution was not fixed and often only 320x240 or even less. It's one reason why they can look so poor on modern screens and why emulation on PC rather than using original consoles has always been preferable with regard to PQ.
    Last edited by TheAbysmalDark; 22nd-November-2017 at 00:12.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you force a PSX game that is 60Hz to 50Hz you will see for yourself vs what it is like vs without forcing but with a RGB SCART there is an obvious difference both to the display with all games and with the sync with games speech sometimes obvious from just the sound cutting out ect when forced to PAL 50Hz via patching or boot CD's like Import player all this does not happen when using an RGB SCART cable

Every PSX can output both NTSC and PAL displays it is just software that controls that nothing more

RGB SCART signal is not the same as other component connections and is much more advanced hence why this will never work from a SCART adaptor from a yellow component connection and must be a full RGB SCART cable to get the correct source signal decoded and displayed as it should be

Component SCART however con not carry the NTSC signal correctly to a PAL TV and will still produce a Black and White image though this is still 60Hz that is pushed through the NTSC signal con not be fully decoded because of missing pin out connections

Consoles like the PAL GameCube have 60Hz only games that display fine through RGB SCART and do not go out of sync with sound like what happens when 50Hz is forced with 60Hz only software and otherwise can not be displayed via other component cables

http://bordersdown.net/content/132-T...S2?styleid=144

just one of the many online resources harping on about displays via various connections to PAL 50Hz TV's (with the exception of very very old CRT TV even PAL only TV's can actually hold the NTSC signal if it is via an RGB SCART that can carry and decode the signal correctly without the TV doing this for it, that multi regional PAL TV's can)

Jumping to Nintendo https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/N...Hz-619263.html

They tell this better than I do

Quote Originally Posted by www.nintendo.co.uk
    IMPORTANT - Some Nintendo GameCube games will only display in PAL 60Hz
    Applies to: Nintendo GameCube

PAL 60Hz is a display mode that allows players to view and enjoy their game in the highest quality possible. This means full screen usage, an intensely sharp picture and the game running at optimal speed, all of which produces a great gaming experience.

However, certain, mainly older, TV sets are unable to display games in PAL 60Hz mode and therefore a small number of players could experience difficulty in playing these games on their TV.

When you turn the hardware Power Button on, the Nintendo GameCube logo is displayed on your TV in PAL 50Hz Mode. This screen will be followed by a display in PAL 60Hz Mode as shown below.

In some cases this screen cannot be shown, depending on the combination of TV and cable that you use. If your TV has an RGB connection, you can enjoy a clearer display with improved quality by using an RGB cable. If the Game Select Screen is not displayed in the centre of your TV screen or if the screen rolls up or down, your TV may not be capable of displaying in PAL 60Hz Mode. To find out if your TV supports the PAL 60Hz Mode, consult your TV instruction manual or contact the relevant manufacturer for details.

Nintendo wants you to enjoy a high quality gaming experience. If your TV does not support the PAL 60Hz Mode and your game will therefore not play properly, please contact the Nintendo Service Centre (click here for contact details). Your statutory rights are not affected.
    And yeah the same works for NTSC only display games always has done

PAL TV's with RGB SCART can infarct display 60Hz though only via RGB even if the TV is not official multi regional that would make it so every cable combination would display both PAL and NTSC fine and at the correct Hz
    Last edited by Zorlon; 21st-November-2017 at 18:05.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

I want to make this clear: I never said Component and RGB are the same, of course they're not. SCART RGB uses three separate channels for R, G and B colour plus Composite Sync. Component is Y (Luminance) and two colour information carrying channels Pb and Pr.

What I said is that the PQ that they give at 480i/60Hz (or 576i/50Hz) is near enough impossible to distinguish when picture settings are adjusted to match.

So, if you have a TV or screen that supports Component, then that's what you should use for all purposes now as it also supports ED/HD which SCART of any type does not.

But SCART RGB, SCART S-VIDEO and SCART AV COMPOSITE all support 50Hz or 60Hz if the that's what the console is outputting. The TV, as also said, may or may not support that output through a particular connection cable type so either does not display or display a b/w image.

PAL Gamecube/games do only support 480i/60Hz via SCART RGB but that doesn't mean it doesn't also support 576i/50Hz too. There are PAL GC games that ONLY support 60Hz display via SCART RGB (LoZ Collectors' Edition). But most display both, providing instructions in the manual about how to swap to 60Hz from the default 50Hz. That is PAL50 being delivered via exactly the same RGB SCART cable. It is still RGB, and if you swap to an AV Composite only connection/cable you'll see the reduction in PQ immediately.

Thanks
    EP Points

It is possible to find a tv that can accept RGB SCART input but will not take NTSC 60Hz input.
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. I've also read about SCART equipped 100Hz Euro sets (eg Grundig and Loewe) that cause problems, maybe because of upscaling
    Most of those would be HD sets but apparently there are some ED sets out there too.

The problem with SCART is that it wasn't properly standardised across the board, things only got worse later on with ED and HD popping up.
    There's also JP21, which afaik is Japan only but I guess it's possible such sets exist outside Japan maybe in Asia.

Spoiler warning:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post: