Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this laptop good for light emulation?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Anonoriginal View Post
    Never heard of or used "Retroarch"
    Basically a frontend that uses various emulator cores for different platforms.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Basically a frontend that uses various emulator cores for different platforms.
    Gotcha

Thanks
    EP Points

I've been running emulators more so then regular pc games.
    But I've tried to run the PS2 emulator on my old desktop and it just had massive slowdown and occasional working. I found the PPSSP emulator to be more fun.

I just really hope it can run that.
    PPSSPP is Incredible
    Yar PPSSPP is really good. A great version update a couple years ago tremendously increased compatibility with games. Don't know about recently though as I don't fiddle much with it anymore but even on my little Core2 I can run stuff like God of War at 2x/3x native pretty much flawlessly.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Given the fact that the CPU is from this year I believe it shouldn't be a problem. And I've always done it via the emulators. Never heard of or used "Retroarch"
    Trust me amigo, its the Bees Knees when it comes to emulation.

Its basically consolized and enhanced , after you set it up (ultra easy) you will never want to go back to a million separate mouse driven emulators again.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post

Its basically consolized and enhanced , after you set it up (ultra easy) you will never want to go back to a million separate mouse driven emulators again.

I have 10 emulators spread out across my taskbar

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post

But but, I like mouse clicky click

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Given the fact that the CPU is from this year I believe it shouldn't be a problem. And I've always done it via the emulators. Never heard of or used "Retroarch"
    It's highly overrated and the interface is abysmal. Feel free to give it a go but be prepared to get annoyed if you're used to mousing through options quickly.

As for the laptop, I think it should manage what you want it to. I'd inquire as to the return policy at BB and see if you can return or exchange it if you need something a little better.
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 8th-November-2017 at 18:08.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Guile View Post
    It's highly overrated and the interface is abysmal. Feel free to give it a go but be prepared to get annoyed if you're used to mousing through options quickly.

As for the laptop, I think it should manage what you want it to. I'd inquire as to the return policy at BB and see if you can return or exchange it if you need something a little better.

Good point, and I'm just looking to run old school emulation stuff.
    Up to the ps2/Xbox/GC era
    With some DS thrown in.

I know DS emulation isn't perfect but I can run a DS emulator on my old 2008 computer so it shouldn't be a problem I assume.

As for GC/PS2/Xbox,
    I'm not sure. Dolphin I hear good things about.
    PCSX2 I hear is horrible on Intergrated. I've never used an Xbox emulator.

I own a PS3 so I do not dare touch that.
    I mostly just want to play GBA/64/SNES/NES/Genesis titles
    And (again) as I mentioned, DS.

I hear bad things about AMD, I'm no computer tech expert, so I'm hesitant.
    I'm tempted to scope out the pawn shops but I feel like my best bet may be with the laptop shown.

If the laptop can run from Atari-DS era stuff smoothly (minus the 2000s consoles like ps2) then I'm all set
    As far as the games I play on pc,
    I mostly have indie titles and the heaviest game I've ever played on my old rig was skyrim (classic) and it ran fine.

So if anybody has any insight or advice. By all means, Speak!

Thanks
    EP Points

I won't get into it but for all intents and purposes Xbox emulation doesn't really exist.

You mentioned you had a PC, any specific reason for a laptop? I would guess mobility would be one of the first things, but if you're going to be hooking up to a monitor or tv I would stick to a desktop with dedicated graphics. It'll be easier on the hardware even with some lower end emulation (and cheaper)

Like mentioned PS2 emulation can overheat a laptop. Dolphin is pretty good but I find it takes a little more processing power especially if playing wii games. But as always it also depends on the game. On PCSX2 something like Kingdom Hearts runs much better than say FF12 and same for Dolphin - compare WindWaker which should be flawless on those laptop specs with increased resolution but Twilight Princess would take much more.

It really does make more sense in the end to buy a used wii for that stuff and mod it in some fashion which is supposed to be easy to do and they're a dime a dozen now. Plus you can add a bunch of older system emulators as well like snes etc. dunno if it handles DS stuff though.

Yet more things to think about

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    I won't get into it but for all intents and purposes Xbox emulation doesn't really exist.

You mentioned you had a PC, any specific reason for a laptop? I would guess mobility would be one of the first things, but if you're going to be hooking up to a monitor or tv I would stick to a desktop with dedicated graphics. It'll be easier on the hardware even with some lower end emulation (and cheaper)

Like mentioned PS2 emulation can overheat a laptop. Dolphin is pretty good but I find it takes a little more processing power especially if playing wii games. But as always it also depends on the game. On PCSX2 something like Kingdom Hearts runs much better than say FF12 and same for Dolphin - compare WindWaker which should be flawless on those laptop specs with increased resolution but Twilight Princess would take much more.

It really does make more sense in the end to buy a used wii for that stuff and mod it in some fashion which is supposed to be easy to do and they're a dime a dozen now. Plus you can add a bunch of older system emulators as well like snes etc. dunno if it handles DS stuff though.

Yet more things to think about

I've been researching heavily and learned all sorts of things
    Yeah I have a desktop but it's depressing. I don't like sitting there, in a dark room..
    Secondly I pulled my syatica about 2 months ago while sitting there for 4 hours so it sort of traumatized me. It's still extremely painful for me.

I NEVER upgraded the old gal except for a new screen (due to screen damage) and a Graphics card (Nvidia 9500GT, I got it when I was really young, I mean back in elementary school, (im hopefully starting college soon) I knew NOTHING about computers. And I feel bad that my grandparents even had to chip in to help my parents afford it for me
    It wasn't meant for gaming
    It's not even a windows 7,
    I only has 3 gigs of ram
    But by golly I made it work!
    I could run everything emulation wise up to DS era with minor ps2.
    3.0GHz, dual core.
    I was so happy I could even play skyrim (classic) on it.

Then the 64 bit craze and era started and my old gal was left behind.
    So it became an emulator itself mostly. And playing retro games
    But I love retro games.
    That's why I adore
    Stuff like Might and magic, the Neo-Geo (god I love the neo geo to death) just astound me,

I own a ps2 and a Wii along with a GBA and PS3, (I even at one point had a ps1 floating around..)II'm not looking to play Wii actually, I mean I own one, just GC if possible, and I'm not really looking to play ps2 (although it'd be nice) I just want a laptop so I can play my old games at an affordable price (under $500) and run every emulator except 3DS/Wii U, and the 2000s consoles. I'm not interested in those. I'm just using them as benchmarks basically,

I'm only interested in (in order of favorites)
    NEO-GEO
    GBA/GBC/GB
    PSP
    Genesis
    MAME
    DS
    SNES
    NES
    PS1
    N64
    Atari
    Emulation

And that's it :/
    (Saturn and dreamcast do not emulate at all I found out.)

If this emulator can go up to the N64, and ps1 era and run DS? (PSP shouldn't be a problem nor should GBA or neo-geo as those are bare minimum) I'm sold!

If not I'll have to try my hand at pawn shops around town.
    I am not a hardcore heavy gamer
    Nor a pc elitist. I play games when I feel like it, I don't even finish 90% of the games I play, to date I've probably only beaten a few like KH2 on my old ps2. I love stuff like the MAME for that reason, I love arcade stuff.
    I grew up when the arcade craze was dying. But..old games just fascinate me. I grew up with a windows 98 too,
    Which again is why I love old games.
    But I also love stuff like new Vegas, skyrim etc. PS4, XBOX 1 etc games don't interest me. If I wanted to play them
    I would just buy a console..

Td;lr: me hurt my syatica, always in pain, no want desktop, me want to emulate pre-2004 games and maybe DS. Me also want play indie games and a good benchmark would be skyrim (classic) for gaming. And Dolphin for emulation.

Any other questions, do ask.
    Last edited by Anonoriginal; 8th-November-2017 at 23:12. Reason: Reason.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Good point, and I'm just looking to run old school emulation stuff.
    Up to the ps2/Xbox/GC era
    With some DS thrown in.

I know DS emulation isn't perfect but I can run a DS emulator on my old 2008 computer so it shouldn't be a problem I assume.

As for GC/PS2/Xbox,
    I'm not sure. Dolphin I hear good things about.
    PCSX2 I hear is horrible on Intergrated. I've never used an Xbox emulator.

I own a PS3 so I do not dare touch that.
    I mostly just want to play GBA/64/SNES/NES/Genesis titles
    And (again) as I mentioned, DS.

I hear bad things about AMD, I'm no computer tech expert, so I'm hesitant.
    I'm tempted to scope out the pawn shops but I feel like my best bet may be with the laptop shown.

If the laptop can run from Atari-DS era stuff smoothly (minus the 2000s consoles like ps2) then I'm all set
    As far as the games I play on pc,
    I mostly have indie titles and the heaviest game I've ever played on my old rig was skyrim (classic) and it ran fine.

So if anybody has any insight or advice. By all means, Speak!
    Intel's laptop CPUs are sucky too unless you're willing to spend a lot of money. I think that laptop could handle your emulating needs but I don't know about Skyrim.

You could always move the desktop to a sunny spot and change your seating to meet your needs.

Thanks
    EP Points

Intel's laptop CPUs are sucky too unless you're willing to spend a lot of money. I think that laptop could handle your emulating needs but I don't know about Skyrim.

You could always move the desktop to a sunny spot and change your seating to meet your needs.
    Skyrim:
    "Recommended
    Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
    Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU processor
    4GB System RAM
    6GB free HDD (Hard disk drive) space
    DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon HD 4890 or higher
    DirectX compatible sound card
    Internet access for Steam activation

Minimum System Requirements
    Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
    Processor: Intel Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor (AMD Sempron @ 2.4 GHz)
    2GB System RAM
    6GB free HDD space
    Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
    DirectX compatible sound card
    Internet access for Steam activation"

Hmm.. and yeah no. I live in the basement of the house 😂 There's very small windows. And I just don't like sitting there and I am not lugging that ancient goddess upstairs, , and yeah intel isn't as good as AMD so I hear
    Yet I hear intel is better at emulating.

I just have to hope that the laptop can emulate what I desire successfully,
    the pc games I desire are no problem except maybe skyrim,

But the emulators are another thing.
    That's why I'm here wondering
    So far it seems like a sure bet it can
    If somebody who knows emulators and computers could pull up the links provided on the front page, and compare them to the specs of the lappy, I'd sleep safer at night. .

I could also use a laptop for my college work too. That's a 2nd reason why I would like one instead of a desktop.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Both are fine. Intel has better single threaded performance at the moment.

According to the NBC page it can run Skyrim but not at a very playable level.

Thanks
    EP Points

Both are fine. Intel has better single threaded performance at the moment.

According to the NBC page it can run Skyrim but not at a very playable level.
    That's odd considering the specs overtake skyrim

Did you look at SPECIAL EDITON or CLASSIC? I'm going by the one that was released in 2012. Not 2016

Classic was released in 2012 for 32/64 bit.
    Whereas special was just for 64 bits.

I might check pawn shops just to be safe
    Lots of folks might trade in a normally really expensive laptop for Christmas gifts. Might be a better bet.

But I'm not sure I'm conflicted.

I'm still apprehensive about the Lenovo and the price *tugs on Tie* is a little pricy, I'm not being cheap. It's simply I MIGHT not be able to afford it come Christmas.its a decent chunk. and I could find something better for possibly cheaper..

If anybody knows where to look for a good laptop (under $500)
    That will meet my standards for emulation and pre-2012 gaming,
    I'm all ears
    I could check eBay but it's sketchy..same goes for pawnshops

What do YOU (the reader of this comment) reccommend?
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 10th-November-2017 at 01:00. Reason: no double posting please, use the EDIT POST button

Thanks
    EP Points

The first vanilla release of Skyrim will work on a lot less than one might think or the "safe" minimum requirements at 720p with medium and low settings even on pre intel hd integrated gpus like the gma line. As long as you have enough system RAM to account for windows, the game and the gpu to fully access the shared memory. 4gb RAM is perfect for this.

I did this with a Core2Duo (6300 I believe) Laptop with 4gb RAM and a GMA 945 integrated gpu. I actually bought it froma member here 6 or 7 years ago. Anyhow it worked full speed with low midish settings at 1360x768 and the OS was XP Black. You don't even have to use gameboosting type software which should be avoided anyways.

Yeah Christmas, wait a month or 2 - you could get an incredible bargain either retail or a private seller or pawn shop

That first part was directed at Shard. And to the OP as I said much earlier those specs will run all the emulation you originally wanted just fine. I know it's hard with Christmas around the bend however you should keep searching and find the best deal if money is a concern.