Thread: PS2 unofficial network SATA adapter

Thanks
    EP Points

Default PS2 unofficial network SATA adapter

Hi guys,

Just came to my knowledge the existence of this object and I wanted to know about your experience. Is there any known issue with those adapters? Do you know any HDD SATA compatibility list?

I have some official adapters and everything runs fine, but a friend of mine wants to join the PS2 network adapter fellowship and I was wondering if this would be a nice start.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    EP Points

The SATA adapters will have placeholders where the RJ45 and RJ11 ports are traditionally located on the official adapters, but they are non-functional. My guess may be because there isn't any room for their internals with the SATA adapter, for cost, or because of bandwidth concerns over the unified connector that goes from the adapter to the PS2 itself. If your friend wants the adapter to be able to play with a LAN connection then your friend will need one of the traditional/official ones (IE - The one that supports IDE HDD's).

If your friend just wants one to utilize with a SATA HDD, then no there aren't many issues I'm aware of. I just ordered one off of the internet for ~$13, but it's coming from China so the shipping estimate is somewhere like 30 to 45 days. MrMario2011 over on YouTube has a video on using one of these, and there's a link out there that shows known-good HDD's you can use with the adapters (both for IDE and SATA adapters). Honestly, I don't see a lot of issues in compatibility - if you or your friend have any old known-working SATA drive (3.5") laying around then it'd be worth a go.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir_Rexicus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

If your friend wants SATA and have network capability he would need to use the official IDE network adapter, a small IDE to SATA adapter and a 2.5" laptop SATA HDD.
    Using that combination it is possible, but you can't use 3.5" SATA HDD as it won't fit because of the IDE to SATA adpater.

Spoiler warning:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Rexicus View Post
    My guess may be because there isn't any room for their internals with the SATA adapter, for cost, or because of bandwidth concerns over the unified connector that goes from the adapter to the PS2 itself.
    I believe it's a cost issue, the Chinese knockoffs just don't care to bother. IIRC the first SATA adapters happened with people hacking SATA connectors into original adapters, and those guys didn't need to remove the network ports.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

I have the IDE to SATA adapter and use a 3.5inch 320 gp sata hdd (you have to buy a special powered usb adapter to use it with your pc and winhiip). but it works great with every game i've tried so far except ford racing 2 and 3. but i do not think those are hard drive issues as i can't get them to play in ESR either.