Thread: Weirdest... Tetris commercial... EVAR.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Question Weirdest... Tetris commercial... EVAR.

That was not a typo.

Yesterday, I stumbled across THIS ad for the 1996 Game Boy release Tetris Blast.

While most video game commercials of the time were known for being out there (re: Yoshi's Island), THIS ad... wow, what the FUCK? It has NOTHING to do with the game except for featuring bombs. What we get is a post-apocalyptic version of A Bug's Life with the visuals of James and the Giant Peach (it was actually made by Will Vinton Studios, which became Laika in 2005 and went on to do Coraline). Also, the cockroach (IS IT EVEN ONE?) sounds way too much like Darkwing Duck to me.

The surprising part is that I know who worked on the ad. Its real title is "Only the Lonely" and it was directed by Mark Gustafson, cinematography by Eric Adkins, and art directed by Paul Harrod. Out of all these people, I was only able to contact Eric Adkins and ask him who voiced the roach. Yes, knowing who voiced him is serious business to me. And I also gave him a name, Mo! Aspergers syndrome does this to me. Hmmm... I wonder who played the redhaired girl in the Dr. Mario commercial...
    Last edited by deadlegion; 26th-October-2017 at 09:21. Reason: embedded youtube video
    Holy dapperdoodles! You found me!
    The Danielle Otaka Show and other goodies: http://www.twitch.tv./danielleotaka

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle Otaka View Post
    what the FUCK?
    I was going to post "calm your tits", but after noticing you have a show and doing some googling I decided not to (I'm not stalking you, I'm too lazy for that stuff. I was just curious and had some time to spare).

Back when I was a kid, advertising for video games (including box art) was sci-fi in itself. Ok maybe the art had something to do with the game but it was pretty fanciful.
    Ads? Well just about anything could be going on. Back then games weren't anywhere near as interesting to look at compared to something made in 1996, so it was basically whatever marketing could come up with that could unlock "brat mode" in any child watching it. "I want that, such-and-such has it/is getting it, why are you mean to me?" etc

Anyway...

You've probably already seen this but I'll drop a link regardless...
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    Edit:
    Embedded the youtube video for you. If you posted the link itself on purpose feel free to change it back, nothing wrong with the way it was.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 26th-October-2017 at 09:23.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Love that Cracked article!
    Holy dapperdoodles! You found me!
    The Danielle Otaka Show and other goodies: http://www.twitch.tv./danielleotaka