Thread: PC overheating too much while playing games on VisualBoyAdvance-M-WX

Thanks

Default PC overheating too much while playing games on VisualBoyAdvance-M-WX

I have been experiencing high CPU/GPU usage and overheating while playing games on VisualBoyAdvance-M-WX, temps goes up to 87+°,
    my SPECS are:

CPU = AMD A10 - 5745M
    GPU = Radeon HD 8610G + 8600M dual graphics
    Ram = 8 GB
    OS = Win 8.1

I don't know how to reduce CPU/GPU usage on a specific application in this case ( VisualBoyAdvance-M-WX ).
    I think VisualBoyAdvance-M-WX is a lightweight application, so why does it demands soo much power?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

I found a temporal solution, I forced and reduced the overall CPU clockspeed to 1.0 GHz, manually set VisualBoyAdvance-M-WX.exe priority to minimum, and forced the AMD dual graphics to support battery lifetime instead of performance. Now I don't get Full speed on most games just an average of 52 - 55 FPS, but it is annoying, sometimes while the FPS drops I get sound lag for about 1 - 2 secons every minute.

Oh... and I forgot to mention that I don't have this kind of issues while playing games like Rayman legends, or using other emulators like, PPSSPP, Pcsx2, epsxe, Dolphin, Citra, project64, NullDC, Chankast, SSF, no$gba, ideas, Cemu, Mame, JPCSP, RPCS3, or while converting 3Gb videos using handbrake for example.

this issue only occurs when I use VisualBoyAdvance-M-WX.exe or when I use the Windows update manager
    Last edited by sauerplayer; 23rd-October-2017 at 12:07.

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't know VBA-M very well, but every time I've tried to use it, it's far from "lightweight" in comparison to vanilla VBA. And with the move to GitHub, I don't know where to even get the updated Windows binaries anymore.

Simple question: Does the same thing happen if you use VBA 1.72 or 1.80b?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,829 Times in 104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You should not be blaming game or any other application for pc overheating.
    Overheating is just a symptom that ur pc is broken.
    Take it to the "doctor" unless u are one ur self.

Telling you to do anything more then that could be potentially destructive!
    Full List of my uploads here (Fixed link ) Only members can access blog.

Quote Ragnar:
    Warning* New downloaders. DO NOT install Jdownloader with the web installer, it contains malware. Get the offline installer, or JD2. Or try CryptLoad or Mipony.

Do NOT decrypt and or repost my links anywhere!
    All my uploads are on MEGA
    DLC IS NOT GAME! DLC is to be used with Jdownloader to Download GAME!
    paypal.me/IceLancer

Thanks
    EP Points

VBA-M as I recall is for some reason incredibly cpu intensive and that is what is overheating. Why this happens I don't really know, haven't run any gba emulation in ages. Might want to try a different emulator for now.

Are you running a lot of enhancements and filters etc for it?

Could also just be a coincidence and that the overheating will start popping up in other things, so checking your fans, and dusting etc may not be such a bad idea just in case.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaladane For This Useful Post:

Thanks

VBA-M is an enhanced version of vanilla VBA. The emulator is heavy on the CPU and the GPU depending on your settings, especially if you try using HD magnification filters. Now a days most computers can handle these emulators. Sorry to hear that you are having problems, you may need to get a new CPU if it's overheating due to an emulator.