Thread: Philips CD-I on Windows 8.1

Thanks

Exclamation Philips CD-I on Windows 8.1

Hey. I'm trying to run a few Philips CD-I games on CDI-EMU for Windows, 0.5.2. I don't know if I'm missing something or not, but most of mine aren't running, & how do I set up the emulator, such as for control with a USB gamepad? Thanks. I'd love to be able to play some Video Speedway!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Controls I presume the CD-i emu does not support them only keys but you can use something like Joy2keys or one of the many other tools like it to set keyboard presses to your USB controller that will work in anything

It's free versions are very limited unfortunately either low compat or time based with no perm save support, the full releases are pay for software only, you also require CD-i system rom images for emulation

Other emulators include

CD-i ICE is an alt CD-i Emulator (Rather old now)

MAME/MESS (this includes CD-i emulation) Google for "Quick MAME/MESS Philips CD-I Tutorial" and it should find a page that will guide you on the hows for that

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Ah. I'm planning to buy a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B kit from Amazon (the newest). Can I run CD-I from that, as well? The only other CD games I have are: Sega CD, Dreamcast, Saturn, & PS1. I tried to find a download link on this site for the CD-ICE emulator, but I think it's a dead one.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

zophar will have a link for CD-ICE or whatever it is called

Neh Rasberry Pi is nice but it has it's limitations unless the Mess version works but if you googled what I said it's not an easy task to get CD-i working but mess is ported via libretro that has Rasberry Pi ports but that is not to say that all the Cores of Libretro will work on the Pi

To be honest Mess is possibly the best option anyway if you can get it working

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Who is Zophar, lol? I did google that, & it does sound a bit Greek to me...

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

if you googled it then you already know

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

At first glance, i thought Zophar was another forum member, lol! What I referred to as Greek was the whole MAME/MESS thing. I did a quick google search. Even in RetroArch, which I have on my laptop, it sounds like a mess (sans pun) to set up.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

mess is great and open source but it is not easy to use

back in the day and possibly still a lot of the emulators out there use Mess source code in one form or another the same goes for mame source code

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I don't know what else to do, other than try it in Retro Pie, when I get my Raspberry Pi set up, or just try & track down a working CD-I player & hard copies of the discs, the old fashioned way, lol.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Big ass hint....

Olde CD consoles used little to no copy protection, i.e. most will play CD-R backups fine

Only example I can give that I know this for certain with is the Sega CD that only realy had region protection, but that plays from CD-R fine you just need to make sure your burns and CD-R's are the best you can get, the same as any other console CD burns

It's worth doing a bit of research before thinking of buying

Also note that most the CD-i games are kinda junk mind including those two Zelda games (I will never say all almost every console has the odd gem worth a play)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

It's a very sentimental system for me, as it was the first CD system that I had ever played. My father had one, but he only had two games, out of a small assortment of titles. Video Speedway, & Wacky Miniature Golf, a cartoon-ish looking putt-putt game. My only complaint with the machine was the remote. I didn't mind it on the golf game, but trying to drive a race car with it?... My hands screamed bloody murder. (I have CP, from prematurity). Not to mention, you had to hold the remote almost right at the front of the console for it to read your input. I think it crapped out after he gave it away to a relative or whatever.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

I have a CD-i with a game pad stuck in the cupboard. The games aren't that good, hence stuck in the cupboard...