Thread: n00b needs help Retro Freak

Thanks

Default n00b needs help Retro Freak

Firstly let me say hello as a new user, hello
    Secondly when i say n00b in the thread title i really do mean it i know nothing about emulation hardware or software so please keep my idiocy in mind if you reply.

Well i guess the middle age crisis hit because i got a hankering to play all those old games i used to play as a kid and looking for retro game systems i came across this Cybergadget Retro Freak console, that looks amazing i thought to myself i can play games from all these old systems on one console and load rom files onto a memory card that thing looks just the ticket.
    Well rather than invest into buying a bunch of used cartridges for a plethora of old systems right away i figured i would download some of these rom files and so i did from various sources, and that is where i have hit a little snag.
    Some of them work flawlessly, others work but no author information, release date etc shows up on the menu which i guess is because whoever ripped the rom from the original game removed that part of the code but the game still works fine, others don't work at all and i'm guessing here that is because the file has the wrong extension and if i change it to the correct extension it would work.
    Well i've looked about on Google for a list of what file extensions are the correct ones to use for this system but have come up with nothing useful.
    That is what has bought me here.

Really hoping someone here with some knowledge could list the correct file extension for each of the systems this console supports.

Thanks for reading.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1. What base system are you actually playing these on
    2. What systems do you need to know the extensions of and the emulators used to play those
    3. What current file extensions do you have (not counting zip files so talking about the file extension of the file inside of the zip file, most emulators can read zip files)

Changing file extensions is not always a good thing as different extensions usually means that the data is not stored the same but other do store the data the same so it is 50/50 guess work if you don't know what you are looking at

P.S. A Nintendo Wii is a very good starter option for emulation use asides from it being able to play Wii and GameCube there are numerous emulators for the system both officially done and unofficial done ranging from N64 Arcade Megadrive and older systems run very well, portable systems like the Vita and 3DS also have a nice range of emulators or you could go with an android device or even a Retropie, but they all have there limits when compared with a PC

There are still a number of systems that are not emulated or not emulated perfectly or still have issue games mostly newer system emulation but not exclusively e.g. Dreamcast and N64 still have problematic games Xbox is still mostly not playable PS2 still has a number of issue games as does GameCube/Wii emulation though alot of those do run very nice on higher end systems

EDIT

Oh Retro Freak is a console of sorts... just limited to what it originally supports that kinda sucks, the examples I gave are systems that emulators are actively developed for or have been active

Anyway I will ask you what file extensions are working and what are not and the system they belong to so I can figure out what needs converting and what just needs renamed

It may also just be a case of some incompatibility in the system as I can guess that the system does not use original hardware but is just a system that uses emulation or sorts
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-September-2017 at 18:56.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks mate.
    As i said previously i really am a know nothing when it comes to this stuff from what i can gather yes the Retro Freak console is purely an emulation platform it doesn't play the games directly from the carts it just dumps the roms from the carts you plug in into memory or you can play roms from a micro SD card, from what i have read the OS is Android based, this all means nothing to me but if it helps you to answer then great.

These are the rom file types i have downloaded and tried so far.

Mega Drive/Genesis
    .md seems to work fine most of the time.
    .smd seems to work too at least most of the time.
    .bin doesn't work.
    .gen doesn't work.

Snes.
    .sfc seems to work but again not always.
    .fig doesn't work.

Master System.
    .sms works some of the time.

Nes.
    .nes very patchy on whether it works or not.

I have updated the console to the latest available firmware on the manufacturers website.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Seems to have a lot of bad emulation in there

NES possibly just does not support all the mappers

Anyway uCON64 is what you are looking for make sure you also grab the GUI both are found at http://ucon64.sourceforge.net/

uCON64 is a huge rom tool that supports format converting

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks but i have no idea what that means or what the hell to do with that tool.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

ok

download the main program and the gui and extract both to the same folder

once you do that you will have two executable files uCon64 and uf it is uf that you want to use

you only do this once but hit Frontend and click on Options then set the first two options up
    first is just the executable file so click Change then click on the ucon64 file and ok it
    second is for a path click on Change for it then hit the .. then select the folder for ucon64 and ok it

you should be able to do the rest yourself as each system tab has a conversion section it is stupidly easy to use

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post: