Thread: NeoGensPlusGX v1b08 Sega CD RAM cart

Thanks

Default NeoGensPlusGX v1b08 Sega CD RAM cart

Hi all!

I'm having some issues with NeoGensPlusGX v1b08 and Sega CD games like Shining Force CD. The emulator fires up my game (in BIN+CUE format) with the Genesis Plus GX, and I can see via FTP on the E: drive that a .brm file and a .srm file are both being created, but the game doesn't actually save.

At the Sega CD BIOS screen I press the A button to get to the CD player interface and pick Options. Here, I initialize both the console memory and the RAM cart. After that, I play the game for a bit and save/exit. I know it should be saved because in Shining Force CD if you say you don't want to continue you get a "goodbye" screen. So as far as I can tell, I'm doing what I should. The CDDA plays music during the game, so the CD part is working like it should. No problem with the image.

But then if I quit the emulator and launch it again and start the game back up, there's nothing to continue. And if I go back into the BIOS menu and look at the memory, both the console and RAM cart are uninitialized again. So it's like the system isn't saving.

I have tried using the NeoGenesis core and it doesn't even load the game. It doesn't load any of my games. They're the Darkwater BIN+CUE releases.

It's a soft-modded Xbox 1.0 running XBMC. I've upgraded the hard drive to a 320GB IDE model and everything works but this. Regular Xbox games save, SNES games save, etc. Willing to try anything that even remotely sounds reasonable.

Cart games are working, too. I have a Sonic 3 and Knuckles going and it's loading.

Thanks!
    Last edited by derFunk; 21st-September-2017 at 19:26.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,210 Times in 1,439 Posts
    EP Points

basically if you want to save a game then you have to use the savestate function,then you can just start off from where you left off.
    as for neogenesis not running your cd games,neogenesis will only run mp3/iso rips.bin and cue will only play on gensplus.
    oh yeah and remember for sonic cd to work you have to format the ram.
    REMEMBER if you are looking for a xbox game then make sure and check the XBOX MASTERLIST.
    https://www.epforums.org/showthread....ox-Master-List

Thanks

Oh, so that's a known problem. No worries, thought I was screwing something up.

I figured save state was going to be the solution, but I wasn't sure how I'd get to the extra scenario in Shining Force.

Maybe I'll just do Sega CD on a PC then. Thanks for replying!

Didn't realize NeoGenesis could only do ISO + MP3. I'm sure I've got one downloaded somewhere...I'll make a cue and try it out.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

For Shining Force CD you can't play the extra's without setting up the ram cart but because you are using save states this should save the sate of the Ram cart also

Not sure why it is not saving though I was sure it worked fine for me, maybe I will do some testing at some point and figure out what is going on for you.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-September-2017 at 07:45.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

The emulator had a bug where it saved correctly but wouldn't load properly, and it'll be fixed. I posted about this on Atari Age as well as here, and got a reply from the author:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/270...sega-cd-saves/

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Possibly a newer version to what I have

I have not used my Xbox in ages except the last two days just completed Silent Hill 4 on it (With a Widescreen hack in place )

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Definitely a newer version since it hasn't been uploaded yet.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I was talking about the version you are currently/had been using, as I never had that issue

Sounds like the bug was fixed though with a quick update
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-September-2017 at 03:06.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]