Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS3 controller not connecting to the console.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default PS3 controller not connecting to the console.

Hey guys, so, I was at a convention this weekend, and I bought myself a new PS3 as my old one died awhile back. I got a crappy 3rd Party controller with the console though (glows a bright red, and the buttons stick, it's garbage), so I bought a standard PS3 controller from the guys I got the PS3 from. Problem is, it's not working. It will give me the red flashing lights, but it will not sync up to the console, even when plugged in. I even booted the system into safe mode, connected it to USB to which there would be absolutely no problem having it sync, pushed the PS button, flashing red lights. Nothing else. I could use some help figuring this out. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Not a solution, but are you certain your newly purchased controller is authentic? There are passable looking bootleg PS3 controllers out there. Google for details, there are many many possible variants...
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

As it's a new controller I'm guessing the reset button won't do anything.
    Does it charge fully though?

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

This is called a sucker deal. He sold you the messed up 3rd party controller because he knew the other one is broken, then sold the broken one to you because you were willing to pay for it. Don't deal with that person again unless you are in a position to rip him off and make up for what you lost here: the price of the separate controller plus a replacement. Unless he gives you your money back, and some extra for selling you 3rd party garbage in the first place.

Or just call it a loss and get a controller from a shop.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    As it's a new controller I'm guessing the reset button won't do anything.
    Does it charge fully though?
    I don't know. I tried connecting it to my PC with SCP Toolkit, and BetterDS3Tool. Neither worked.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pringr0 View Post
    I don't know. I tried connecting it to my PC with SCP Toolkit, and BetterDS3Tool. Neither worked.
    It should charge via plenty of methods, pc and many wall adapters (except Apple adapters for some reason). You should even be able to use a usb socket on a tv.
    Reason I asked is because if the battery is faulty or the connection is loose that can cause connectivity issues. Sounds weird but it happens.

I have a generic DS3 clone and it works ok, although the sticks have a larger dead zone.

If you need to get another controller and want something a little cheaper than a genuine one but excellent build quality I recommend the HoriPad FPS Plus. It isn't wireless, doesn't have rumble and the configuration is a cross between a Nintendo pad and Xbox. Has some extra buttons including a target tracker which slows down stick movement.
    It's PS3/PS4 compatible via a switch

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

I personally just ordered this off of eBay about an hour ago, hopefully this one works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/253133050570

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm sure that'll work fine enough. But there's a 99% chance it's bootleg. PS3 controllers are no longer manufactured, you aren't going to find new ones on eBay for $20.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Even though it says genuine as Ragnar said there's a good chance it's a clone.

I just checked HoriPad prices and they seem to have gone up since I got mine, so it's no longer a cheap option really. Probably double the price of that clone.
    But then it is a solid controller and also PS4 compatible.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay guys, I need help again, so, the new blue controller that I bought off eBay a couple days ago arrived, but I'm having a different issue with this. If I plug the mini-USB into the controller, I get 4 red flashing lights, this is when the USB is also plugged into the console mind you. I realize that means it's charging, but the thing is very clearly not dead because if I hit the PS button when the system is turned off or it's on, the controller gives me flashing lights just like the controller I bought with the console. As of now, still, the only controller that is working is the crappy 3rd party one. What do I do?

Edit: I can get the PS4 controller to work. But as of now, only the 3rd party controller and PS4 are working
    Last edited by Pringr0; 9th-September-2017 at 21:34. Reason: An update

Thanks
    EP Points

Try a different USB cable? I think I've had a PS3 have issues with a cheap USB cable before, and that could be your entire problem.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pringr0 View Post
    Info says it's a data cable too so it should work.

Is the cheap glow controller that works corded?

Also have you tried the reset button on the controllers that aren't working properly?

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Info says it's a data cable too so it should work.

Is the cheap glow controller that works corded?

Also have you tried the reset button on the controllers that aren't working properly?
    I have tried the reset button on both the black, and blue ones, doesn't do anything, as for the glow one, no it's not wired, it does however need a separate USB that goes into the console itself for it to work. Here is what the two look like.

https://imgur.com/gallery/QvnMO

First image is the two together, second is the controller glowing while the USB stick is plugged into the console. I've considered just using my PS4 controller to play games truth be told

Thanks
    EP Points

Ah ok might not even be bluetooth.

So how do you charge the glow controller?

Spoiler warning: