Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you have any guilty pleasure games?

Thanks

The Star Wars SNES games.

They weren't that good. Even back then. But they are still enjoyable if you can bite the bullet and grind through the difficulty.

Thanks
    EP Points

Bus Driver. Technically it was far from perfect (the same guys made Euro Truck Simulator and its sequel and derivates), but I've had fun playing it.

Also, New York City Bus Simulator 2010. That game looked awful, even the people on the streets weren't moving. Yet I beat it and I'm still glad I did.

Thanks
    EP Points

Timeshift. A first person shooter that was almost great, but missed it badly. It has some really good and enjoyable game mechanics, and when it's good it's very good. You can slowdown, pause, and even reverse time, and only you are unaffected, so that if you reverse time, for example, then rain falls upwards, people come back to life, and so on. Graphically and gameplay-wise it's really good when you use the time-control powers (and you can use them at almost any time during the game), and the game has great weapons, some enjoyable levels to play through, and a slightly individual architectural style because you play in an alternate time-line, since the story is that in more or less our modern day, scientists invent time-suits, which allow the wearer to control time. One of the suits get stolen and the villain goes back in time and changes the world, so you put on the other working suit, go back in time and attempt to stop him and return time to it's proper timeline. And so the world you play-though has building/art styles that are almost but not quite like in our ve.rsion of reality. The game is also long, and has great weather effects.

On the minus side, the game tells it's story really badly (seriously, I've completed it maybe half a dozen times, and I still don't know most of the story, it seems to either miss out or fudge important aspects of the storyline), some of the levels are tedious to play through, some of the in-game puzzles are obviously just designed to be beaten by your suit powers (which is understandable, but in this game they feel contrived and just remind you that it's a game), the enemies who are most fun to play against only appear near the end of the game, the story is really badly told (I know I mentioned that earlier, but it's so badly told that it does bear repeating), and great though it mostly is gameplay-wise, I do wish that there was an upgrade system in the game, so you could earn points to upgrade things like how long you can pause time for, how long you can reverse time for, how quickly it takes your 'time energy' (that you use to control time) to regenerate, and so on. It would have really added to the game.

The game went through a really awkward programming phase, and I think it was gone back to the drawing board at least twice. There's a playable demo of it from before it's last incarnation, and it's pretty different to the released game. Sadly, the game received poor reviews, so we were never given a sequel, which is unfortunate since a sequel could have built on the good of the original game whilst leaving out the bad, and so been a fantastic sequel.

You can read about it's troubled production here https://assemblergames.com/threads/t...history.59888/

If anyone wants to play a little known, not too well thought of first person shooter on the Xbox 360, the PS3, or the PC, that's actually pretty enjoyable for much of the game, and that has some unusual game-play mechanics, the give Timeshift a go.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

All of the hamtaro games (except for ham-ham games.)

Thanks
    EP Points

Crazy Bus

Thanks

Thanks
    EP Points

oh boy... here we go...

Circus Charlie.

circus-charlie_x.png

FIRST OFF, LOOK AT THAT ELEPHANT'S FACE. That elephant fully realizes the peril of Charlie's predicament. She sees it every night. She can't unsee it, like a lot of things she's probably seen in that circus.

This game whooped my ass like a drill sergeant on loan from the Devil's army. It is harsh, uncompromising, and it even prompts some existential thought.

I kept “dying” right from the get go, as I rode atop a rather defeated-looking lion while we jumped through rings of fire. There were also vases(?) full of fire, on the ground. Tricky time. I made it to the high-wire, a legitimate danger, especially since it was crawling with monkeys. I went ahead and assumed the monkeys were to be avoided... and I was painfully proven right a time or two. Then there were further tests: trapezes and rolling balls. All of it cost me dearly. I thought I'd won after the trapeze act. But what had I won?

The game started over, more difficult than before. I did not last long.

Circus Charlie is a pretty good representation of what human life is like. We do all these tricks, all these stunts, and put so much at risk... and then we come to find one day that we're trapped in the act until we run out of life to give. Existence is brutal, it never stops moving, and you'd better keep up. Plus, really, no matter what, death will find you. Circus Charlie's not bitching. Circus Charlie's not putting a gun in his mouth. Circus Charlie (as far as I know) hasn't developed crippling alcoholism. So why should we?

Every time I need a little perspective, or just a reminder that my life could be worse, I play Circus Charlie.
    Last edited by nrwgaming; 2nd-March-2018 at 05:43.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nrwgaming For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

^Wow. That was really... an interesting view. I've been playing that game for more than 20 years, but I never stopped to look at it that way.

Thanks
    EP Points

Beavis and Butt-Head for Genesis. I think the draw is the somewhat varied gameplay and environments, high level of difficulty, and mystery as far as how to progress.
    The farting and puking make it feel a bit infantile, and it's definitely not great, but I still enjoy it.