Thread: PS1 region locking (PS2 console)

Thanks

I'm a little unclear on this and, to be honest, I haven't tried a foreign disc.

Anyway, is it possible to disc-swap my way to victory with games from a different region? I'm looking to play Japan exclusives without resorting to emulators (Pepsimaaaan!). Since I'm using a PS2 slim, Free McBoot is available, but I think it's only any use for PS2 games. Ugh, I hate region locking - it seems illogical.

Well, I decided to just try it. Unsurprisingly, swapping from the browser doesn't work (amazed it does with same-region games, to be honest) but swapping on the PS1 splash screen gets it up and running. It's running in PAL and seems fine with that (The Sniper, if you're curious) but the picture is offset vertically quite some way, resulting in about 1/10th of the picture being cut off the top. Interestingly, my capture box recognises the signal so it must be proper PAL instead of half resolution PAL.

Anyway, whatever I try with GSM only ever results in a picture about half as tall as it should be or twice as tall. Any ideas on how to shift the picture down a little? There are no in-game picture offset options.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-July-2017 at 20:02.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

FreeMC boot is for anything you through at it but all it does is run homebrew not PSX or PS2 games unless you have homebrew to do that

as far as PSX goes there is a small homebrew app to make the swap process easier but it is a swap trick at the end of the day so not ideal either but better than blindly doing a swap.

You could try and force NTSC display to the game but I usually do not recommend this as it can break some games, often because of sync issues or maybe patching the game to NTSC and back again with a v pos fix attached

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I've nailed the swap timings, so swapping's fine. Forcing NTSC results in the image getting significantly squashed vertically which is strange since that's what it would originally run at. Maybe I'm missing something.

The vertical position fix thing sounds nice. I have yfixpar2.exe downloaded but it requires a memory dump as part of the process. Do you know if Codebreaker is capable of this?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I would imagine a PSX emulator could do a memory dump

the original PSX would of done this via a data cable via one of the many back port cheat carts

I was thinking of something like PAL4U or Zapper 2000 patching to NTSC first then patching back to PAL with a Y fix (PAL4U can do the Y-fix not so sure for Zapper 2000 though) I am almost sure PAL4U also tells you the AR codes anyway so you can use that to find the code even if you don't actually patch anything, possibly a better option as you can then find the exact pos. you want without hard coding the display that may take a few tries to get it the way you want it

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Looking into Pal4U now. Thanks, man! If this seems too complicated, I'll either put up with it, emulate or see what the numbers in GSM mean.